Corsair Community

Corsair Link 4.9.6 wont detect 1 PWM fan

Yanta

I have just installed a Commander Pro.

I have 5 fans; 4 x DC & 1 PWM.

The PWM fan if set to auto shows 0 RPM, but is actually spinning.

If set to 4 Pin it disappears completely from CorsairLink and spins at what sounds like 100%

The fan is a Noctua NF-A12-PWM

I can't upgrade to 4.9.7.35 as CLink no longer tracks mechanical hard drives. I have 10 x 10TB drives on this system and I want to monitor them.

thanks for your help

I upgraded to the latest version just for proof of concept - same problem. The PWM fan is either not detected and spinning at 100% or shows at 0 RPM and spinning perhaps not at 100% but still quite fast/loud.

I uninstalled, removed the USB driver, rebooted and installed 4.9.5. Same problem.

I checked Commander Pro Firmware - 0.8.210 - latest.

Replaced the fan with another 12cm PWM fan - same problem.

Put the fans back onto motherboard (removed commander pro), and everything works as it should.

Moved the PWM fan from it's original Pro port #2 to the spare port #6. Same problem

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, no, I don't have any ideas. For some reason, the CoPro apparently has issues with some Noctua fans; really not sure what it is. Since I don't have a single Noctua fan, I can't repro for you tho to confirm if it's Link or the CoPro. :(

Historically, Link has had some difficulty controlling certain fans. A few of the Noctua are mentioned. Some of my BeQuiet models do this. It is not really clear to me if its hardware or something else and I have a lot of fans, but not a NF-A12 to test. However, I grabbed a NF-F12 Industrial PWM and it is not controllable either. It just sits at a base minimum and does not react to any commands.

You may have to send that one to the motherboard for now.

Historically, Link has had some difficulty controlling certain fans. A few of the Noctua are mentioned. Some of my BeQuiet models do this. It is not really clear to me if its hardware or something else and I have a lot of fans, but not a NF-A12 to test. However, I grabbed a NF-F12 Industrial PWM and it is not controllable either. It just sits at a base minimum and does not react to any commands.

You may have to send that one to the motherboard for now.

Or replace it with a brand that is compatible.

Whats interesting is that my personal PC has 11 fans - all of them noctua. The system has two C/Pro's and it works perfectly (Although ALL fans in this system are PWM - Whereas on the server there is only one PWM). They are a combination of 12cm and 14cm fans. I plugged in a spare I have - a NF-S12B PWM (The redux grey fan). Same issue. These are the ones used on my system...

Anyway... this appears to be worse than I thought..

I've been wondering why my server is on every morning. I've just tested by disconnecting the H100i USB cable from the C/Pro. When shutdown, the system stays off. When the USB is connected to either port on the C/Pro the system will automatically restart as soon as it shuts down.

I've got a temporary workaround - Move the H100i to the motherboard's USB, sacrificing my front USB ports. But I'm wondering if it might be the USB cable from the H100i... If it works properly from H100i --> Motherboard, then that would suggest the USB cable is fine. So if it restarts after shutdown on H100i --> C/Pro, then it has to be the C/Pro that's faulty?

Given the fan issue and now the auto restart issue do you think this may be a bad C/Pro? It's only 2 weeks old so I should be able to RMA it.

I don't know. I am not sure the C-Pro can wake the PC unless your system settings allow that (generically). You might try turning USB selective suspend on and see if the result changes.

The fan stuff is strange. I have better luck with the BeQuiet DC motors compared to PWM. All of my Noctua are PWM. I hadn't thought about this in a while since committing to the HD and ML-RGB fans. 4 firmware updates later, it still seems to be an issue.

I don't know. I am not sure the C-Pro can wake the PC unless your system settings allow that (generically). You might try turning USB selective suspend on and see if the result changes.

I don't know what to tell you. I have moved the H100i USB to the motherboard and the auto restart has stopped.

I do recall somewhere there was an issues with Fast Start but I can't remember what it was - but I check my BIOS and fast start is disabled.

The BIOS is set to turn the PC on at 11am, but I disabled that and with the USB cable connected to the C/Pro it still auto restarts.

I've raised an RMA we'll see what happens with that.

The fan stuff is strange... 4 firmware updates later, it still seems to be an issue.

One thing I've learned with software for coolers. They are never bug free. CAM is by far the worst, and the most telemetry riddled, but none of them seem to ever get to a truly stable state...

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new replacement Pro today from retailer. Works perfectly.

The original was clearly a dud.

oh, btw: I did play around with various power and device settings, but could not get the original to leave the system off.

thanks for your help

Archived