Corsair Community

H80i v2 fan upgrade

Indoraptor

The while LL120 High Speed model certainly will be an upgrade in appearance and likely sound quality too, although everything is loud at 1700+ rpm. Your stock fans are capable of 2200 rpm as well, although I would not recommend running them that fast. You are unlikely to see a performance gain at the same speed.

Also note, once you get into the RGB fans, you must also install the necessary control hardware. For the LL series, that is the Lighting Node Pro and a RGB Lighting Hub. those are included in the triple pack, but would cost around $50 combined for the two pieces. Setting this up for 1 or 2 fans is not always worth the expense, so you'll need to look at your options. Make sure you look at the FAQ below.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

The sound doesnt really bother me much, I was asking because I had upgraded the fans off my old version 1 H80i (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181025) and they were running at 2100+rpm while these stock ones are showing a speed of 1300ish (according to my OC display). I have it set to Performance and that is what they ended up at. I know about the Lighting node pro, I plan on getting rid of my old intake fans into my case aswell. I have 4 Noctuas right now (4 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608004) and they dont seem to be pushing much air into the case to keep it cool all around. Keep in mind I built this pc in 2014 so I am trying to start making some decent changes to it. I will be trying to snag a pack of 120s and a pack of 140s (top of my case supports 2 140s) for the meantime until I shell out the money for a 1000D corsair case.

Would it be better to go towards the ML model vs the LL? Or stick with LL https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/ml-pro-rgb-config/p/CO-9050075-WW

The while LL120 High Speed model certainly will be an upgrade in appearance and likely sound quality too, although everything is loud at 1700+ rpm. Your stock fans are capable of 2200 rpm as well, although I would not recommend running them that fast. You are unlikely to see a performance gain at the same speed.

Also note, once you get into the RGB fans, you must also install the necessary control hardware. For the LL series, that is the Lighting Node Pro and a RGB Lighting Hub. those are included in the triple pack, but would cost around $50 combined for the two pieces. Setting this up for 1 or 2 fans is not always worth the expense, so you'll need to look at your options. Make sure you look at the FAQ below.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

OK, if you switched out the original grey SP120L for the ringed SP120 PWM QE at some point, then those do have a 1300 rpm max. It's also possible that is where the control curve if limiting them, but you can verify by creating a custom "cooling mode" with the + symbol, then setting it to fixed 100%. I don't think you'll really see much performance difference at LL120 1600 rpm vs 13xx on the SP120, but it is certainly a visual upgrade and I still like the tone better.

As for RGB fan choices, the ML is going to be very slightly better on a radiator than the LL, but you really need to get into the 250-300W range before it becomes noticeable. Presumably this is for your CPU radiator and you aren't going to get anywhere near that level of wattage. When it comes to picking RGB fans, my recommendation is to go with the ones you find most visually appealing. That is the big selling point. +-1C is not a good reason to choose one or another for most people. Some people find the LL and HD too bright and prefer the more subtle effect of the ML. Others want it to be bright and clear. Choose along those lines.

Ok thank you. I am going to choose the LL line white 3pack (two of them) and go from there. I wanted to change my setup to an all white cause I think its beautiful especially with a contrast of cyan lighting on white. I know the 1000D case is black but I am ok with it cause I like how it looks. I never was going for a visually appealing look at the time I built this but seeing the stuff that is available today vs 5 years ago its come quite far and I am going to dip my foot in that pool. Thank you for the help it is much appreciated.

OK, if you switched out the original grey SP120L for the ringed SP120 PWM QE at some point, then those do have a 1300 rpm max. It's also possible that is where the control curve if limiting them, but you can verify by creating a custom "cooling mode" with the + symbol, then setting it to fixed 100%. I don't think you'll really see much performance difference at LL120 1600 rpm vs 13xx on the SP120, but it is certainly a visual upgrade and I still like the tone better.

As for RGB fan choices, the ML is going to be very slightly better on a radiator than the LL, but you really need to get into the 250-300W range before it becomes noticeable. Presumably this is for your CPU radiator and you aren't going to get anywhere near that level of wattage. When it comes to picking RGB fans, my recommendation is to go with the ones you find most visually appealing. That is the big selling point. +-1C is not a good reason to choose one or another for most people. Some people find the LL and HD too bright and prefer the more subtle effect of the ML. Others want it to be bright and clear. Choose along those lines.

Archived