Corsair Community

V2000 Wireless on old XP machine

merlin01

Hello, I recently purchased the V2000 wireless headset for a new system build (listed in my profile), however I haven't received all the parts for the build yet so I decided to try the headset out on an old XP 32bit machine, pretty low end and very old by todays standards but noticed something interesting when I tried to run games with the V2K and couldn't find anything like it mentioned on the net.....

The machine is a Pentium4 (yes, single core), 2GB SDRAM, AGP HD3650 1GB, and WD 320GB IDE HDD.

Anyways, there is only a few games on this old machine with the latest title being ARMA 2. But this is the issue...

All these games run when normal speakers are acitve, however, when the V2K is active, they all fail to even launch. The games include some blasts from the past like GRAW2, LOCKON, Falcon4BMS, and ARMA 2.

Every single one of these games fails to launch when the V2K is connected.

I've even launched these games with the V2K disconnected so I can at least get into the UI, then when I connect the V2K they will all CTD immediately.

What do you think?? Profile recognition/lost-unknown hardware?

V2K software and USB usage too much for system to handle as well as the game so the system spits the dummy?? RAM usage??

At least for this XP machine, the headset does not work with these games. Movies and music are fine however, so the product does work, but only under specific criteria.

What do you think could cause the non-launching/CTD of games only when the headset is turned on???

Maybe something in the conflict scenario as you suggest Toasted...

My primary sound interface is a USB Yamaha MW10C which I use for recording to Cakewalk Sonar on this old box, so that's a single USB connection and is enabled during boot when it's plugged-in.

Onboard sound is disabled in Bios.

I unplugged the Yamaha and reboot the computer, then plugged the V2K in, but I was still unable to launch any of the games successfully.

I had read some people using the headphones without the software so I thought I'd try that (just exit the V2K software), this helped a little, I was then able to launch F4 and Lomac with just the V2K's working as a standard headphone.

The other 2 titles still failed to launch, so I thought maybe I needed to reboot while just the V2K was plugged in.. Whoa - big mistake, upon rebooting, the system would not boot into windows, it would hang and reset itself over and over.......

So I unplugged the V2K's, and plugged the Yamaha back in and wha-laa, it booted into windows without issue.....

Something definitely fishy about these V2K's and this old system, at this stage from my point of view they are simply incompatible (or the software and the system are not compatible)..

:-(

BTW, just double checking software versions, I installed the driver from the corsair website (1.7) and when I click on the Information option for the V2K software, this is what is displayed:

Corsair USB Headset Ver. 3.0.0.9

Audio Driver Version: 5.12.1.56

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Audio Controller: Vengeance 2000

Do you know if that's right for a 32bit XP machine??? From the numbers above I don't recognize where 1.7 fits in????

That should be fine for a Windows XP computer, Windows XP uses DirectX9.

Try updating DirectX by running the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer available on the Microsoft Download Centre

The one i have

Corsair USB Headset Ver. 3.0.0.9

Audio Driver Version: 7.0.1.55

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Audio Controller: Vengeance 2000

When you get the chance, Try the headset on your new build and see if it does the same thing.

Hmm, that's interesting....

Yes, DX9 is as good as it gets for XP 32bit - however the audio driver version difference has me a little stumped....

From the product website, the Download section says this about the 1.7 drivers;

"These drivers are compatible with all current Windows operating systems."

That to me says I should see the same Audio Driver Version on an XP machine as I would on a Win7 ..... right???

I ran the installer again and it removed the driver/software - rebooted - installed it again - rebooted - and I see the same Audio driver revision as before : 5.12.1.56

I just don't know if that is supposed to be like that..... need another XP user to confirm....

PS (I can't test on my new system because it's sitting in a shop in Sydney awaiting ONE item before it ships to me). :-(

• Corsair Employee
We haven't heard of any reports with XP compatibility. It sounds like there may be an issue with your USB port/controller, as you did mention having boot issues with it plugged in. Have you checked the usb latency and the resource draw on your system when using it? Also, did you disable legacy usb on your system as well as any boot options from USB?

Hello, I have same problem with games APB reloaded, World of tanks, Mass effect. But some games like Counter strike Source and CoD MW3 launch normally. I have Windows Xp and if I completly disconect headphones every game work. But if I connect only headphones(charging) than I have problem. I dont have problem with rebooting while headphones connected.

PS Sorry for my english :)

• Corsair Employee
Hello, I have same problem with games APB reloaded, World of tanks, Mass effect. But some games like Counter strike Source and CoD MW3 launch normally. I have Windows Xp and if I completly disconect headphones every game work. But if I connect only headphones(charging) than I have problem. I dont have problem with rebooting while headphones connected.

PS Sorry for my english :)

Disconnect the USB dongle, boot the game up, and then reinsert the dongle. If possible, then go to the Audio Settings and see what is the source of audio.

If you can change it to Vengeance 2000, quit the game, then restart it back up. Does it still crash?

Disconnect the USB dongle, boot the game up, and then reinsert the dongle. If possible, then go to the Audio Settings and see what is the source of audio.

If you can change it to Vengeance 2000, quit the game, then restart it back up. Does it still crash?

Well, World of tanks still crashing. Source of audio is always vengeance 2000 without change. But APB reloaded is really magical. First I have conected everything (dongle and charging cable to the headphones) and game freeze while launching. Then I unplug charging cable before launch and game start normal :eek:. Then I try launch game again but game crashing. But when I connect charging cable then game freeze. So again I unplug charging cable and game launch normal. :sigh!:

btw: I try use headphones on my notebook with windows 7 (without corsair drivers) and work good. But in my main computer with and without Corsair drivers still problem in some games.

• Corsair Employee
Well, World of tanks still crashing. Source of audio is always vengeance 2000 without change. But APB reloaded is really magical. First I have conected everything (dongle and charging cable to the headphones) and game freeze while launching. Then I unplug charging cable before launch and game start normal :eek:. Then I try launch game again but game crashing. But when I connect charging cable then game freeze. So again I unplug charging cable and game launch normal. :sigh!:

btw: I try use headphones on my notebook with windows 7 (without corsair drivers) and work good. But in my main computer with and without Corsair drivers still problem in some games.

Do you have another micro-USB cable to test with? Also, have you updated your chipset drivers/USB drivers to the latest version? It sounds like there may be an issue with power draw from the USB.

Do you have another micro-USB cable to test with? Also, have you updated your chipset drivers/USB drivers to the latest version? It sounds like there may be an issue with power draw from the USB.

I install latest chipset driver and USB, but not sure if USB latest, because I don t know how check current version of USB. But its little help in APB Reloaded, because I launch game three times without crash or freeze (even with connected charging cable). Sometimes game freeze or crash but not too often for now :). World of tanks still crashing. Process WoT crash after 3 second without any message.

In the control panel, Go to Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio and select the Vengeance 2000 headset for sound playback and recording and tick Use only default devices.

Try launch your games again.

If it does not work, Delete the settings or options files and let the game rebuilt it.

Archived