Corsair Community

corsair 3 pin rant

thrasher_565

so i got the bug to buying in to the corsair eco system and doing so i got 18 hd fans, 2 ll fans, and ordered 1 ml fan (to see how it looks) anyway i also got a commander pro, rgb ram cooler, and headset stand.

ok so the commander pro came with 1 3pin connector, the 2 ll fans with a lighting node pro came with 1 3pin connector. the rgb ram with node i dint see a 3 pin unless i miss placed it somewhere.

For most people having the ability to hook up 12 rgb fans is plenty but what about 20-21 fans? sol? im not buying a Lightning node pro just for a 3 pin!

i have order dupont connectors and im going to make my own but man its just sad imo.

the 3 pin connector is called IIC or I2C but cant seem to find the to buy anywhere. perfect for corsair. (you can use an old cd drive connector for audio )

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=727065

i think the node should come with 2 3pin and the commander come with 2 3 pin problem soved. that mean with the pro and the 2 nodes i would have 6 3 pin witch i can hook up 36 rgb fans!

not posting to piss people off just informing them of the problem.

The Commander Pro does come with 2 of the Fan Hub connectors. Note that while the connectors are 3-pin connectors, it only has two wires. Pin1 (+5V) is not connected. It's +5V on both sides. From the Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro, it powers the RGB strips. On the Fan Hub, it'll power the HD and SP push button controllers.

And it's not a Dupont connector. That said, you can use Dupont connectors for it but they won't lock into place. Just make sure not to connect pin1!

As for informing folks of the problem ... it's well known and has been discussed multiple times. Look in my signature ...

The Commander Pro does come with 2 of the Fan Hub connectors. Note that while the connectors are 3-pin connectors, it only has two wires. Pin1 (+5V) is not connected. It's +5V on both sides. From the Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro, it powers the RGB strips. On the Fan Hub, it'll power the HD and SP push button controllers.

And it's not a Dupont connector. That said, you can use Dupont connectors for it but they won't lock into place. Just make sure not to connect pin1!

As for informing folks of the problem ... it's well known and has been discussed multiple times. Look in my signature ...

my commander only came with 1. even if it did come with 2 ied still only have 3 3pin connectors. that would allow me to attach 3 rgb hubs. my pint is i have a commander pro and 2 lighting pros and i can only do 12 fans. i have all the hubs and i have 6 rgb outputs just don't have the 3 pin connectors you see my point.

if you read the post i don't say it was a Dupont connector. i said it was a IIC or I2C.

and yes im aware its "2 wire" in a 3 pin connector. if i called it 2 pin some one els would get mad and think im talking about the temp prob.

ok ill tell the full story.

i got 6x set of 3 hd fans for a total of 18 refurbished from newegg. everything is good there.

i got 1 commader pro that only came with 1 3pin.

i wanted a lighting node pro so i could attach more then 6 fans. so i got the corsair Cristal 280x rgb case that has a lighting pro and 2ll fans for at the time $175 +20 mail in rebate for $20 off but i don't do rebates. i was planing on selling the case (witch i did today) and keeping the fans and pro and hub. that only came with 1 3pin.

it was cheaper to do the case then it was to buy a 3 pack of the ll fans with pro (was like $150) i sold the case for a $100 payed $185 so i got the 2 ll fans for $85 instead of $150.

i wanted the g skill rgb ram but i already have the corsair domnator platinum ram so instead of me selling it and buying the ram i got the corsair domnator rgb ram cooler (at the time i don't no it came with a lighting pro)

the rgb ram dose not come with a 3 pin as the 3 pin is already attach to the ram cooler just comes with an extension.

Did you get the Commander Pro new?

And yes ... these particular cables are incredibly difficult to get and come by. But every Commander Pro that I've gotten (3 so far, plus a bunch that I helped install at QuakeCon) have come with 2 of the Fan Hub connection cables.

Did you get the Commander Pro new?

And yes ... these particular cables are incredibly difficult to get and come by. But every Commander Pro that I've gotten (3 so far, plus a bunch that I helped install at QuakeCon) have come with 2 of the Fan Hub connection cables.

yes bran new. your missing the point. even if i got it i still need more.

I think my LNPs came with 2x 3pin male to male connectors. I am betting you only have one cable as I bet that is all that came with the LNP that was included in your 280x. Corsair uses the standard 2.54mm pin pitch square connectors that are latched/keyed. You can use the dupont style, though speaking from experience from both DevBiker and I there is no reverse polarity protection as their devices rely on the keyed connector to prevent this. Reversing the polarity will blow the fuse in the LNP and CoPro. I bought a bunch of SMD 3A fuses to replace the ones I blew.

Lastly the Dominitor RAM cooler is 12v/Analog RGB. It was designed to use with the old Commander Mini, which is not supported by iCUE. You can plug it into your motherboard if the pin out is right and you have an analog header. Though at this time Corsair does not official support analog 12vRGB with iCUE.

I just wanted to make a PSA about the RGB lighting on this thing. You will not be able to change the color of the LEDs from red unless you have the commander mini, which will set you back another $60. It will not work with the Corsair HD RGB fan controller and it won't work with the Corsair RGB node. I had to wire it to the specific color I wanted. Here's how. The led connection going to the fan header on the device has one ground and one 12v wire. The fans leds themselves have 3 grounds(one for red, green, and blue) and a 12v. All you have to do is ground the wires that combine to make the color you want and cap what you don't need. So for myself, I wanted white. So all I had to do was splice all three wires coming from the led fans together along with a short wire that led to a molex connection, then splice the 2 12v wires to the same molex connection, plug that into a molex connection from my PSU, and voila!! I have white LEDs.

source: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3CB3RIAAUV5X3/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00Q8UKRYU

Archived