Corsair Community

Who makes this software?

eastman51

Seriously, who makes this? The interface is unintuitive and looks extremely outdated. And that's not even mentioning the hailstorm of stupid issues that massively impact usability.

For the last year I have not updated beyond some early version of CUE 2.xx (don't remember which version exactly), and everything was perfect. Minus the fact that I had to buy a new keyboard because the K55 had a firmware level bug with key ghosting rendering the keyboard unusable while the computer thought it was receiving one key continuously. I would have to reboot to be able to use the keyboard for an hour, reboot, rinse repeat. Funnily enough, when I use that same K55 with my Steam Link downstairs, there are no issues with it.

A couple of months ago I noticed the age of my CPU showing in games, and truly appreciated the bottlekneck of a Haswell i5 with a 1070. So I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 2600x, love the CPU. Anyways, I had to redownload CUE because I made a fresh install of Windows 10. Since that initial install, I've been dealing with issues ranging from profiles not staying selected to EVERY USB device plugged in being disconnected.

I dealt with the profile issues by nuking the "default profile" and instead basing everything off the 1 hardware profile on my Scimitar Pro.

However, the USB thing persisted. Randomly, ALL USB devices (with a few exceptions) disconnect and then reconnect a few seconds later. The exceptions are: my mouse, my mic (Blu Snowball), and my USB wifi adapter (ASUS AC68). EVERY other USB device is affected.

Here's what I have plugged in at all times:

Mic, mouse, keyboard (K70 Rapidfire RGB), mousepad (MM800), headphone stand (ST100), wifi adapter, and my external HDD for backups (which I had to eventually remove altogether because the disconnecting was causing massive issues).

But sometimes I'm playing a game with a controller, or my racing wheel. And I can tell you right now, lag and annoying people online are preferable to having your entire racing wheel setup go offline in the middle of a race and having to close the game and restart my PC to fix the drivers for it. Or having your Xbox controller disconnect (wired through microUSB since my PC does not have BT) while you are having some casual fun with friends in Brawlhalla. Or having your keyboard go out while trying to do quicktime events in Tomb Raider.

This issue persisted across versions that came out afterwards. I thought for a while that it was my motherboard's USB controller was bad, but I got talking to some people in Discord about the issue and we started troubleshooting. I went and disabled "Selective USB Suspending" in Windows power options, which did nothing. I also went into device manager and set EVERY USB related device to not get turned off to save power. Next I tried changing the polling rate switch on my keyboard, but that proved ineffective as well. One guy thought my PSU was failing, which turned out to be false (a 2 year old EVGA 700B thats powered 3 different PCs that never exceeded 450W of power is still going strong). Next I booted into a live session of Ubuntu and tooled around for a while, nothing disconnected. huh, not my PSU OR my USB controller now is it? I also sat in my BIOS for a while, but nothing disconnected there either. So, I uninstalled iCUE. And what do you know, I played multiple different games with different USB configurations and nothing disconnected. SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?

I really want to know what idiots got hired to "make software." I am trying the new OCT 17, 2018 release to see if I have these USB still. Already, seconds after installing the software, I have to delete the default profile, again. Wow. Something that worked fine in CUE 2 is more broken than the San Andreas fault in the "new" and "improved" latest version. Is it really so hard to fix these things? People have posted all over the internet about these things, I've looked to try and solve them. How have you not seen this by now?

*sigh* I'll update the post when I find out whether or not USB devices still get disconnected in this latest version.

Edit 1: No disconnects yet, knock on wood. Also just noticed, but there isn't a tab logo for this site and it isn't even HTTPS. WTF? How can you not have HTTPS these days?

EDIT 2: USB devices are STILL disconnecting. This is just sad....

Edit 3: Just happened again.

While I understand your frustration, the fact that we've not seen anyone else with these kinds of issues leads me to believe that it is, unfortunately, something unique with your setup and/or configuration. I can't say that I know what it is but I do know this for certain: if the issues that you describe here were common or widespread, this forum would be filled with similar rants.

But it isn't.

Are there rants on certain issues? Yes. But nothing at all like you are describing.

I, personally, have been using iCue since before it was made public (I'm in the beta group) and haven't had anything like this happen. No issues with the profiles (do you have profiles tied to particular apps, perhaps? iCue will jump to the default profile when an app loses focus.)

While I understand your frustration, the fact that we've not seen anyone else with these kinds of issues leads me to believe that it is, unfortunately, something unique with your setup and/or configuration. I can't say that I know what it is but I do know this for certain: if the issues that you describe here were common or widespread, this forum would be filled with similar rants.

But it isn't.

Are there rants on certain issues? Yes. But nothing at all like you are describing.

I, personally, have been using iCue since before it was made public (I'm in the beta group) and haven't had anything like this happen. No issues with the profiles (do you have profiles tied to particular apps, perhaps? iCue will jump to the default profile when an app loses focus.)

I do not have any profiles tied to programs. I only have 2 profiles, and they are saved on my mouse. Why does it switch to default when it loses focus? That's literally in the top 10 dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Edit: If you google corsair usb disconnect you'll get similar results to what I mentioned.

I do not have any profiles tied to programs. I only have 2 profiles, and they are saved on my mouse. Why does it switch to default when it loses focus? That's literally in the top 10 dumbest things I've ever heard of

If your profiles are saved to your mouse, then you shouldn't need to run iCue at all, right? Or am I missing something?

Regardless - that's the behavior. When the app tied to the profile loses focus, iCue switches back to the default. As for "top 10 dumbest things I've ever heard of" ... well, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it ... but what should it do? The profile is set to the application - that application is no longer active and there's no other app-configured profile. So it flips to default.

Edit: I did google it. Most of them were resolved too ... and nothing like what you described. Several were due to misconfigured power for the cooler and, if you'll notice, I was on those threads. Again ... nothing like the issues you've been describing and I've been quite active on this forum for some time.

If your profiles are saved to your mouse, then you shouldn't need to run iCue at all, right? Or am I missing something?

Regardless - that's the behavior. When the app tied to the profile loses focus, iCue switches back to the default. As for "top 10 dumbest things I've ever heard of" ... well, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it ... but what should it do? The profile is set to the application - that application is no longer active and there's no other app-configured profile. So it flips to default.

I have the MM800, ST100, and K70 Rapidfire RGB. None of which store data onboard. When I say that I have my profile stored on my mouse, that is correct. But I also mean that with the mouse's profile selected I then go and make changes to the settings for the other devices.

iCUE changes to default whenever I select the mouse's profile and then click out of iCUE. This is dumb. And IF I did tie the profile to, say Google Chrome, and clicked out of Chrome, then that would make perfect sense for it to switch. But if it is NOT tied to a program, it makes ZERO sense for it to change profiles when I click out of iCUE.

Here's an analogy for you:

You accidentally jam your knee into your keys while driving your car, your car suddenly turns completely off. This makes sense, as you may have even made the key change positions.

You let off the accelerator and then brake to a complete stop. Your car completely shuts off. This makes no sense as the car should stay running, even if it is standing completely still.

I have the MM800, ST100, and K70 Rapidfire RGB. None of which store data onboard. When I say that I have my profile stored on my mouse, that is correct. But I also mean that with the mouse's profile selected I then go and make changes to the settings for the other devices.

iCUE changes to default whenever I select the mouse's profile and then click out of iCUE. This is dumb. And IF I did tie the profile to, say Google Chrome, and clicked out of Chrome, then that would make perfect sense for it to switch. But if it is NOT tied to a program, it makes ZERO sense for it to change profiles when I click out of iCUE.

That's exactly what I described that you called "One of the top 10 dumbest things you've ever heard"

Here's an analogy for you:

You accidentally jam your knee into your keys while driving your car, your car suddenly turns completely off. This makes sense, as you may have even made the key change positions.

You let off the accelerator and then brake to a complete stop. Your car completely shuts off. This makes no sense as the car should stay running, even if it is standing completely still.

Now ... if you are done ranting, are you actually interested in some assistance or do you just want to continue ranting? Your call dude. But so far, you've only ranted and complained and don't seem interested in assistance. So ...

Hey, hey!

You can try and disable USB Selective Suspend Setting if it is set to enable in Windows 10 Settings.

Windows Settings - Power & Sleep - Additional Power Settings.

Whatever Preferred Plan is selected, click Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Power Settings.

Expand USB Settings.

Put Setting to Disabled.

Additionally, go into BIOS for your ASUS B350F.

Go to the Advanced Tab.

Scroll down to USB Configuration.

Verify that Legacy USB Support is Enabled.

Verify that XHCI hand-off is Disabled.

I would like to see an option for profiles to lock the profile when the exe is active as well as a way to add multiple exe's to a profile

good request and broader solutions should be just as easy, like title-matching or providing additional criteria (for programs with nebulous and fluid names that may not be executables per say) or better yet, give users the ability to control the active profile from outside the application - not with the game sdk just a widget that triggers the application to do what it does already. That said, as much as I want this a year ago, despite my love for the application, there still appear to be more pressing issues for some.

That's exactly what I described that you called "One of the top 10 dumbest things you've ever heard"

Now ... if you are done ranting, are you actually interested in some assistance or do you just want to continue ranting? Your call dude. But so far, you've only ranted and complained and don't seem interested in assistance. So ...

If you can solve this damned disconnecting issue, that'd be great. Main reason I'm here in the first place.

You can try and disable USB Selective Suspend Setting if it is set to enable in Windows 10 Settings.

Not sure if you even read my original post. I already tried this, and it is still disabled.

If you can solve this damned disconnecting issue, that'd be great. Main reason I'm here in the first place.

Well, had to ask. From your post, it only seemed like you were interested in ranting.

Let's start with your system's USB Drivers. Are they they Windows default drivers or did you install the motherboard's chipset drivers? When you upgraded, did you install Windows fresh or did you just move the drive?

From there ... can talk about how the devices are actually connected. Can you, perhaps, show Device by Connection in Device Manager to give an idea of how many devices are on each hub and whether they are internal or external hubs? Are they on USB 2 or USB 3 ports?

Let's start with your system's USB Drivers. Are they they Windows default drivers or did you install the motherboard's chipset drivers? When you upgraded, did you install Windows fresh or did you just move the drive?

From there ... can talk about how the devices are actually connected. Can you, perhaps, show Device by Connection in Device Manager to give an idea of how many devices are on each hub and whether they are internal or external hubs? Are they on USB 2 or USB 3 ports?

When I did the motherboard/CPU upgrade I made a fresh Windows 10 install, overwriting the previous install. All other drives were not formatted. After the install, as I always do, I downloaded and installed the latest driver updates. So I did install fresh chipset updates, there is a newer version, but when I run it, it only shows current and previous versions.

Internal USB devices:

NZXT HUE+ over USB 2.0

Front Panel USB over USB 3.0

External USB devices (rear/motherboard):

Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB - USB 3.0

ASUS AC68 Wifi adapter - USB 3.0 (does not work on USB 3.1, for some reason).

Corsair ST100 - USB 3.1

Corsair MM800 - USB 2.0

Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB (keyboard) - USB 2.0

Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB (passthrough) - USB 3.0

Blue Snowball Microphone - USB 3.0

External USB devices (front panel):

Micro USB cable (used for Xbox controller. Cable appears to be made by Samsung.) - USB 3.0

My motherboard is the ASUS STRIX B350f Gaming. It has 2 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.1, and 4 USB 3.0 on the rear I/O. My case is the Corsair 100R, which has 2 USB 3.0 on the front. Sometimes I have more USB devices connected, but they are typically connected to the pass-throughs on my peripherals.

Devices by connection gave me zero information about USB devices, I looked at each individual port (by color: black - 2.0, blue - 3.0, red - 3.1). According to Device Manager, the USB 3.0 and 3.1 controllers have Microsoft drivers, but are labeled as AMD.

Edit: I also have made sure that my BIOS is up to date, Windows is also up to date.

OK ... I suspected that you had done a fresh install but I had to ask.

What I suspect is that you are overloading one of your hubs; there is a limited power draw available. Now, multiple ports can be on the same logical motherboard hub so it's not always evident from the plugs what's connected where. For example, when I look at mine, there are FIVE "Generic USB Hub" and "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" entries under the USB Root Hub. Now ... 1 one these is from my NZXT internal hub and one is from the hub built into my monitor but the rest are actually built into the motherboard.

Do you have anything plugged in to your extension ports (MM800, ST100 and K70 all have additional ports)?

What I would do is start with the MM800 and remove devices one at a time.

My theory .. right now ... is that the MM800 is drawing too much power from that USB 2.0 port. IF that's the case, I suspect that swapping the Microphone with the MM800 would help. The microphone, from what I (quickly) Google'd, is a USB 2.0 device, isn't going to benefit from being on USB 3 and is a lower power draw. OR ... plug your MM800 into the USB 3 power where the Scimitar Pro RGB is now and plug the Scimitar into the MM800 (I have mine this way with a M65).

Why I'm suggesting this: USB 3.0 provides for more power per port as well as across the hub. Even thought the MM800 should only draw about 200mA, when combined with other stuff, it may be too much. I've not put a power meter on my keyboard (largely because I'm too lazy to do it right now) but I suspect between the two of them you may cross the 500mA limit.

Another thing to do that may confirm my theory is to simply turn off ALL lighting and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, then it's definitely power related (those RGBz are purdy but they do suck juice ... my system will draw up to 60W just for the lighting).

What I suspect is that you are overloading one of your hubs; there is a limited power draw available. Now, multiple ports can be on the same logical motherboard hub so it's not always evident from the plugs what's connected where. For example, when I look at mine, there are FIVE "Generic USB Hub" and "Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub" entries under the USB Root Hub. Now ... 1 one these is from my NZXT internal hub and one is from the hub built into my monitor but the rest are actually built into the motherboard.

Do you have anything plugged in to your extension ports (MM800, ST100 and K70 all have additional ports)?

My theory .. right now ... is that the MM800 is drawing too much power from that USB 2.0 port. IF that's the case, I suspect that swapping the Microphone with the MM800 would help. The microphone, from what I (quickly) Google'd, is a USB 2.0 device, isn't going to benefit from being on USB 3 and is a lower power draw. OR ... plug your MM800 into the USB 3 power where the Scimitar Pro RGB is now and plug the Scimitar into the MM800 (I have mine this way with a M65).

Why I'm suggesting this: USB 3.0 provides for more power per port as well as across the hub. Even thought the MM800 should only draw about 200mA, when combined with other stuff, it may be too much. I've not put a power meter on my keyboard (largely because I'm too lazy to do it right now) but I suspect between the two of them you may cross the 500mA limit.

I can see how the USB power draw may be affecting things, but its not adding up to me. My last motherboard had 2 3.0 ports and 4 2.0 ports. yet, with more devices plugged in, nothing ever disconnected. Especially not as randomly as it does now. That also doesn't explain why nothing disconnects when iCUE is uninstalled (lighting is still active across all devices). I can try swapping the MM800 and my mic around, but I doubt it will do anything. Guess I'll find out.

So, I swapped the MM800 and my mic. This has made a significant improvement. However, the ST100 still is randomly disconnecting, but its not affecting other devices. The ST100 will turn off, along with my keyboard lights. But the keyboard still functions and the lights come back on when the disconnect sound happens for the ST100.

I know that my Wifi adapter doesn't stay connected to Wifi when it is on USB 3.1. Maybe 3.1 is affecting the ST100 somehow?

Or maybe there's an issue with either the USB 3.1 drivers or the port itself.

By the way ... just because you had it plugged in like this on a different board doesn't mean that there isn't a potential issue with another board. The USB configuration (and the power going to them) could very well be different.

Now ... what about plugging the Scimitar into the MM800 and then plugging the MM800 into the port where the Scimitar is?

And ... ummm ... certainly beginning to look like it isn't an issue with iCue, eh?

Or maybe there's an issue with either the USB 3.1 drivers or the port itself.

Now ... what about plugging the Scimitar into the MM800 and then plugging the MM800 into the port where the Scimitar is?

And ... ummm ... certainly beginning to look like it isn't an issue with iCue, eh?

Still not convinced it isn't iCUE. However, I also noticed that the ST100 disconnecting affected front panel USB 3.0; so there's that now. Why are you so determined to make me plug my mouse into the MM800??? This is like the 2nd or 3rd post about it.

I'm probably going to try moving a couple things to a 4-port USB 2.0 hub I have lying around. I'll try my mouse and mic in it for now.

Still not convinced it isn't iCUE. However, I also noticed that the ST100 disconnecting affected front panel USB 3.0; so there's that now. Why are you so determined to make me plug my mouse into the MM800??? This is like the 2nd or 3rd post about it.

I'm probably going to try moving a couple things to a 4-port USB 2.0 hub I have lying around. I'll try my mouse and mic in it for now.

I asked you to try it. It's called debugging.

I'm trying to walk you through things. You have your own ideas ... so go for it.

Peace out, dude.

Archived