Corsair Community

Unknown Issue with GS 700 (possibly)

pezcore44

The GS 700 will emit a buzzing noise (yes I read about it, but I think something is still wrong with this one) whenever a graphics intensive program/game is opened and then the PC will freeze and reboot. Alternatively, there are instances of the display cutting out and the PC turning off, only to turn back on without a display. The graphics card is working fine (GTX 560 Ti) and all drivers are up to date and cleanly installed. Is it possible for the PSU to be defective and have caused damage to the system? The only way the PC currently works is in Safe Mode. Once I boot normally, it powers off and returns with no display.

Could someone point out either some tests I could run to determine where the problem lies, or what type of error could be happening? One thing I noticed is that the Events notification for the restarts is Kernel-Power 41 (loss of power to system).

disconnect your cd/dvd/blue ray drive(s)

if you have more than one hard drive installed unplug the power connectors to all but the one with windows on

unplug any peripherals including usb ports from mobo headers

then try booting normally, in safe mode windows disables all that stuff but in normal mode its all trying ot be powered

sometimes its also worth opening the case and just giving a good blast wiht an air duster /hoover to remove any crap causeing heat buildup or fans to not operate properly

if unplugging things fixes the problem, try plugging them back in one by one, if one causes a problem then unplug it nad try the rest of hte stuff

it might be a bad part or it might be a psu gone bad, if it turns out to be a part try swapping it to another pc and see if hte problem transfers if not then test to see if its the cable connecting it (they also breakdown wiht age)

hopefully one of htose will help you find the problem

Thanks for the quick info. The case has been thoroughly cleaned and is currently open so I can see what is going on inside. All fans are running fine, and the GS 700 is not making any noise while running the PC normally. I have connected/disconnected the hardware and haven't experienced any issues so far.

However, I am about to attempt running a game to see if the major issue is still present. Should the system freeze again (which it likely will, as it has each time I have tried this "test") is there any way of knowing what is causing the loss of display/reboots? Nothing up to this point has shown any sign of trouble when checked individually.

try unplugging the various things and then running the game and see if its still haveing hte same problem

if it does then its possibley a driver problem, sound card drivers and gfx card drivers need to be kept up to date as they can cause random problems like this as well

this doesnt rule out the psu though, its still possible that its developed a fault but its always worthwhile ruleing out other items,

Archived