Corsair Community

Obsidian 750D buzzing sound - suggestions to fix?

sygnin

I got a Corsair 750D chassis for a new build several months ago. It started making a slight buzzing noise shortly after I got it. Since then it's either gotten louder or just more annoying. I find myself smacking the chassis to make it stop for a bit - hardly the best solution!

I have removed the SSD brackets which are unused. That stopped the buzzing right afterwards, but the next day the buzzing started up again. I have now removed the right panel (the opaque side, not the transparent side). Right now it is fine, but I am not sure if that is what is causing the buzzing.

ASSUMING it is the panel making the noise, is there something I can put, like foam or something, to stop the noise?

Has anyone else had an issue like this too?

I have the same issue and found that removing the hdd bays resolved my issue. You could try using some sound dampening foam.

Thanks! Did you mean the bays for the normal hard drives or the one on the side for the solid state drives?

Where should I put the sound damping foam? Around the case cover edge?

• 2 weeks later...

I've exactly the same problem. I've been searching for a solution for the past two months since it first started on my Corsair 750D, my PC is only four months old.

I've an SSD & HDD and when gaming the buzzing drives me crazy to the point I can avoid playing because of this vibration problem. It's a problem with the HDD bays as only putting weight on the HDD stops the vibrations. Mostly people who have this problem go to SSD only builds because of the trouble with this case.

My PC vendor is stumped over the issue and frankly since it's not strictly "hardware related" because there's nothing wrong with the HDD (which there isn't) and there's nothing wrong with the case, and it's also a "known fault" with the case there's not much they can do.

Since it's bought from them I don't have the ability to RMA with Corsair directly as I've no receipt but even if I could, there's no guarantee a new case would avoid this all too common problem.

I've tried placing sound absorbent foam on the panels (windowed and Opaque side) and tbh there's not been much luck of dampening the vibration coming from the HDD slots. I've tried placing foam on the contact surfaces between HDD cages and case, between both HDD cages and any relief is only temporary before it starts buzzing again while gaming.

The only thing that stops the buzzing is physically holding the front panel or sides.

I'm looking at ways of dampening and it seems there's only "stop gap" measures. I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts for a problem that seems all too common with the 750D case and that Corsair accepts is a problem with the product they sold.

For the price I've paid, and considering it's my first gaming rig, the hassle I've had with the parts is enough that I'm disappointed with my PC and will certainly avoid all things Corsair going forward.

My PC vendor is stumped over the issue and frankly since it's not strictly "hardware related" because there's nothing wrong with the HDD (which there isn't) and there's nothing wrong with the case, and it's also a "known fault" with the case there's not much they can do.

----------------------

I've tried placing sound absorbent foam on the panels (windowed and Opaque side) and tbh there's not been much luck of dampening the vibration coming from the HDD slots. I've tried placing foam on the contact surfaces between HDD cages and case, between both HDD cages and any relief is only temporary before it starts buzzing again while gaming.

That should be the strong indicator your HDD is not behaving in a normal fashion. If you can't stop it by smothering it in dampening materials, then what would a "proper HDD rack" do? Should it be suspended in gelatin? I feel for you because I have been down this road, but you are taking away the wrong conclusion. There is a reason HDDs only cost $30-40 a TB now. They are the disposable razor blades of the electronics world. I have had more HDDs fail in the past 4 years than the prior 20. Your PC vendor has a tailored interest in this conversation, but why don't you ask the HDD manufacturer (whichever one of the three) if the HDD should shake the room when you put in on the desk. If you hold it in your hand and it feel like electro-muscular-stimulator, it's not really put together right.

Thanks, yes it sounds like the problem I have. I do not know if it is the HDDbeing badly made as someone else suggested, I've only ever heard the clicky noise of death before one died and this is not the same thing. I had a Cooler Master case before for many years and it never had this buzzing problem, even though it also had some sort of tray thing to put the HDD.

Perhaps the easiest solution for me to just write this off as a bad job and get a new case. I use it for work and its hard to concentrate with this noise. Now it's going off the minute I turn on the rig :s

I've exactly the same problem. I've been searching for a solution for the past two months since it first started on my Corsair 750D, my PC is only four months old.

I've an SSD & HDD and when gaming the buzzing drives me crazy to the point I can avoid playing because of this vibration problem. It's a problem with the HDD bays as only putting weight on the HDD stops the vibrations. Mostly people who have this problem go to SSD only builds because of the trouble with this case.

Since it's bought from them I don't have the ability to RMA with Corsair directly as I've no receipt but even if I could, there's no guarantee a new case would avoid this all too common problem.

The only thing that stops the buzzing is physically holding the front panel or sides.

I'm looking at ways of dampening and it seems there's only "stop gap" measures. I shouldn't have to buy aftermarket parts for a problem that seems all too common with the 750D case and that Corsair accepts is a problem with the product they sold.

For the price I've paid, and considering it's my first gaming rig, the hassle I've had with the parts is enough that I'm disappointed with my PC and will certainly avoid all things Corsair going forward.

So, I just got round to checking the HDDs. I had my SSD mounted into a HDD bay, and that was what seemed to be causing the most buzzing.

I just removed it and put it into a SSD bay (the one on the side that is nearer the opaque back panel). Right now there is no buzzing.

I don't know if it's a permanent solution, will have to see if the buzzing comes back. The other 2 HDDs are not making funny sounds or buzzing now.

So, I just got round to checking the HDDs. I had my SSD mounted into a HDD bay, and that was what seemed to be causing the most buzzing.

I just removed it and put it into a SSD bay (the one on the side that is nearer the opaque back panel). Right now there is no buzzing.

I don't know if it's a permanent solution, will have to see if the buzzing comes back. The other 2 HDDs are not making funny sounds or buzzing now.

Thanks. I’ll try and move the SSD I have in the HDD caddy to the SSD slot and see if that helps. it’s something I hadn’t considered but it’s worth a punt as the noise is incredibly grating. So thanks for providing something I can do.

Appreciate if you could update even if the noise doesn’t comeback as it’d be good to hear if it sounds like a permanent fix.

Although in response to an earlier commenter, it’s goes to show to that someone else has this problem with HDD caddy. It isn’t all down to just my HDD manufacturer, Western Digital, producing crappy, cheap HDD’s. This is a common problem with this specific case and the built in HDD caddy.

Here’s a further video of someone else having the problem, it’s not down to ****ty HDD’s it’s a problem with the case or aspects of the case.

As can be seen in this video; [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQEaHIqA44[/ame]

Yes, it is possible to have a defective HDD tray mount that causes the drive to rattle in place. However, you may be missing my point.

I'm looking at ways of dampening and it seems there's only "stop gap" measures.

You are right, you shouldn't have to do this. But the concerning part is this still didn't work. You bury the the thing in foam, around the drive and surrounding panels, and it still won't go away. Surely that is a lot more dampening than any tiny little rubber corner would provide. The 750D is a big metal case. If the drive is still making a racket in that with all the dampening, your drive is not what I would consider to be salable product. You and your arm make the best dampener, but that also tells you how much mass and suspension is required to tame it.

Yes, other drives and/or pieces could be making this worse and you should check them out. It could be finding the most affected piece will make this tolerable. However, burying the problem in dampening material is still burying the problem. Eventually, you'll want to stop it at the source and it makes for kind of a miserable existence in the interim.

Well, after changing the SSD bracket, I left the case with the sides panels off all day, and it was quiet all day.

Put the panels back on when I turned it off for the night.

Just turned it on - and the buzzing started again :s

However I knocked it (as I've been doing to make it stop buzzing) and that has quieted it down. Not sure if that means it'll start up again soon. I did listen to the drives and it doesn't seem to be the HDDs themselves making noise, though if they are spinnig at some mighty rate then I don't know because I'm not going to touch them while they're turned on.

I'll probably look for another case. I wish I could just get the newer version of my old case (CM Cosmos). I loved that thing, but the top has sorta degraded over time and it has no USB 3 slots. Otherwise it was a fantastic case. I still have it; maybe losing the USB 3 might be worth it if the motherboard will fit the architecture. They don't seem to bring in new CM chassis' here in Canada much anymore, sadly.

Thanks. I’ll try and move the SSD I have in the HDD caddy to the SSD slot and see if that helps. it’s something I hadn’t considered but it’s worth a punt as the noise is incredibly grating. So thanks for providing something I can do.

Appreciate if you could update even if the noise doesn’t comeback as it’d be good to hear if it sounds like a permanent fix.

Although in response to an earlier commenter, it’s goes to show to that someone else has this problem with HDD caddy. It isn’t all down to just my HDD manufacturer, Western Digital, producing crappy, cheap HDD’s. This is a common problem with this specific case and the built in HDD caddy.

Here’s a further video of someone else having the problem, it’s not down to ****ty HDD’s it’s a problem with the case or aspects of the case.

As can be seen in this video; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQEaHIqA44

So I think I’ve isolated where the problem is coming from. I’ve tried a solution and it seems to be or could be a potential fix.

I took the cages out of the PC to test the drives. I noticed there’s a weird sort of screw hole, (see 1st link) it isn’t really a screw hole as there’s nothing connected to it. If you see my 2nd link you’ll notice the gap is filled by my temporary solution.

This screw hole is right next to the metal core structure of the case, it’s where the front panel is also connected to and why holding the front panel reduces the vibrations.

Im not sure of the reason but from what I can work out; as the drive spins it’s fine, even though that’s when you’d expect the vibrations to come about (it’s at high/max rpm) if you’ve got stuff installed on you SSD and not using your HDD, then the drive will idle and that’s when the worst of the vibration occurs.

So I put a piece of thin (2mm double sided foam, with a pad attached) on this screw hole and when I put the cage back in, the vibrating noise was gone.

The vibration returned at one point but it was dampened or was at least lessened which means it’s likely to be where the problem is coming from.

It’s a design flaw with the case. What doesn’t help is the thin plastic of the caddies, theyre not absorbing the vibrations created, and they seem to be transferring them to the cage and the cage is touching or “kissing” the frame, creating the noise.

I’m either going to put the cage with my SSD and HDD in the left hand slot of the bottom of the case, leaving the right side empty or put my HDD in caddies only on the left so as to avoid being next to the frame.

After hours of gaming I didn’t seem to hear it and it seems that’s the problem or it could be where the trouble is coming from. So you might want to try damping that thing sticking out or move your HDD’s to the left side cages, hopefully that should remove or lessen the noise.

Screw hole that’s causing vibrations against case https://i.imgur.com/UX34YF9.jpg

Temporary fix https://i.imgur.com/4IEP3HV.jpg

Glad I came across this thread. I have two 750D Airflow cases for two different builds I've been working on. Both buzz in the same fashion. I've found it difficult to pin point exactly what causes it. Sometimes I think it is the side panels. Sometimes the clear panel. Most definitely though, one of the causes of buzz is the hard drive cages as this thread confirms. On my 750D that houses our 1080Ti 4k/VR rig, if you put your hand underneath the case and press up with your fingers, the buzz goes away. I don't think it is the dust screen either, but the hard drive cages.

The 750D's are really nice cases. Lots of room. Lots of options. The other 750D I bought was for a workstation rig loaded with SATA drives. The buzz was an unexpected let-down.

Update: I talked with the guys at the computer shop who put it together and they too mentioned that they also had similar Corsair cases which had similar problems. They suggested screwing the HDD to the brackets to prevent it from moving. So yesterday I took out my HDD and tried screwing them into the brackets (on the middle hole on the side, that seems to be the only place to screw).

I also tightened the cage and removed the other cage that wasn't holding any HDDs.

Turned it on... big 'BUZZ' sound...

I tried checking the case again and this time I stuck my hand under it and suddenly the buzzing stopped. Unplugged everything and turned the case over, and found the thing I had touched was the bottom filter panel that was covering the fan where my power supply is.

I removed it an turned the computer back on and lo & behold, no buzzing noise. It's been silent since then; turned off the computer last night and turned it back on today and it started up without a sound.

This is the panelI removed: http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product%20photos/cases/obsidian-series/750d/large/750d_rear_psu_dust_filters.png

Not sure if this is 100% the problem but so far it's been quiet so I hope this is the culprit. Only thing is now there is no filter at the bottom so I got to figure out a way to either put back the filter and stop it from buzzing, or else use something else to keep the dust out.

So I think I’ve isolated where the problem is coming from. I’ve tried a solution and it seems to be or could be a potential fix.

I took the cages out of the PC to test the drives. I noticed there’s a weird sort of screw hole, (see 1st link) it isn’t really a screw hole as there’s nothing connected to it. If you see my 2nd link you’ll notice the gap is filled by my temporary solution.

This screw hole is right next to the metal core structure of the case, it’s where the front panel is also connected to and why holding the front panel reduces the vibrations.

Im not sure of the reason but from what I can work out; as the drive spins it’s fine, even though that’s when you’d expect the vibrations to come about (it’s at high/max rpm) if you’ve got stuff installed on you SSD and not using your HDD, then the drive will idle and that’s when the worst of the vibration occurs.

So I put a piece of thin (2mm double sided foam, with a pad attached) on this screw hole and when I put the cage back in, the vibrating noise was gone.

The vibration returned at one point but it was dampened or was at least lessened which means it’s likely to be where the problem is coming from.

It’s a design flaw with the case. What doesn’t help is the thin plastic of the caddies, theyre not absorbing the vibrations created, and they seem to be transferring them to the cage and the cage is touching or “kissing” the frame, creating the noise.

I’m either going to put the cage with my SSD and HDD in the left hand slot of the bottom of the case, leaving the right side empty or put my HDD in caddies only on the left so as to avoid being next to the frame.

After hours of gaming I didn’t seem to hear it and it seems that’s the problem or it could be where the trouble is coming from. So you might want to try damping that thing sticking out or move your HDD’s to the left side cages, hopefully that should remove or lessen the noise.

Screw hole that’s causing vibrations against case https://i.imgur.com/UX34YF9.jpg

Temporary fix https://i.imgur.com/4IEP3HV.jpg

Update: I talked with the guys at the computer shop who put it together and they too mentioned that they also had similar Corsair cases which had similar problems. They suggested screwing the HDD to the brackets to prevent it from moving. So yesterday I took out my HDD and tried screwing them into the brackets (on the middle hole on the side, that seems to be the only place to screw).

I also tightened the cage and removed the other cage that wasn't holding any HDDs.

Turned it on... big 'BUZZ' sound...

I tried checking the case again and this time I stuck my hand under it and suddenly the buzzing stopped. Unplugged everything and turned the case over, and found the thing I had touched was the bottom filter panel that was covering the fan where my power supply is.

I removed it an turned the computer back on and lo & behold, no buzzing noise. It's been silent since then; turned off the computer last night and turned it back on today and it started up without a sound.

This is the panelI removed: http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product%20photos/cases/obsidian-series/750d/large/750d_rear_psu_dust_filters.png

Not sure if this is 100% the problem but so far it's been quiet so I hope this is the culprit. Only thing is now there is no filter at the bottom so I got to figure out a way to either put back the filter and stop it from buzzing, or else use something else to keep the dust out.

I’ve seen other people say the solution to their buzzing 750D is cured by removing the PSU dust filter, it’s pointless it being there anyway as it’s an exhaust anyway.

I’m not surprised by the reports of this being a more common problem, especially by the PC guys you spoke to.

Since I posted my solution last week it’s been a lot better, it hasn’t been all plain sailing as I’ve had buzzing but it’s been reduced massively by damping the drive cage against frame.

I’ve now put the cages in the left hand slot and have taken the empty cage out. The buzzing is completely gone after a lot of testing.

The downside is cooling. The HDD and my SSD are running a couple of degrees hotter by about 5°c and I’m having to mess with fan settings to increase the airflow in the case and keep the internals cool enough.

Other options would be to get a specialised HDD caddy to prevent vibrations transferring from cage and frame.

• 5 months later...
Have you checked to see if one of the case fans may be out of balance, one could disconnect the fans to see if this has an effect. Years ago I had a frig that would vibrate driving me crazy and I found that the cooling fan for the compressor was the problem, I removed the fan and replaced it with a 12Volt pwr pack driving 3x 120mm blue LED PC fans and that stop the vibration. The funny thing is I had a service person look at it and he could not figure it out, it was in warranty. Just a thought.

• 8 months later...

Archived