Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX + P5E3 = Can only run at 1066Mhz

platinum

Hello everyone,

My problem is that whenever I try to set the RAM frequency at 1333Mhz, my computer just freezes at the Vista loading screen. I have checked around some on the forum and tried setting the configs manually to what it says on the sticks, but the problem still occurs. I am currently running at 1066Mhz and its stable but get BSOD sometimes when i tab out and in from Warcraft III, and get some error message about memory addresses everytime I boot up.

I have done some memtests; first I had everything but voltage (set to 1.7v) and RAM frequency (set to 1333Mhz) on default, ran both sticks over a night for about 7h with no errors. Then I set the configs manually:

RAM Freq. 1333Mhz

9-9-9-24

Ram voltage 1.7v

NB voltage 1.41v

Spread spectrums disabled

and ran test on both again, after a while i got thousands of errors.

Tried test on each seperatly with the configs, one stick showed errors but the other didn't, though memtest hung up several times on that one.

I also tried running Vista with both sticks seperatly with the configs above, but the problem persists.

EDIT: I have flashed my motherboard.

Use Linpack for Stress Testing:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS, load Setup Defaults, Save Setup Defaults and set to these values.

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB = 333
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

AI Clock Twister = Auto
AI Clock Skew for Channel A
AI Clock Skew for Channel B
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Delay 250ps
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Voltage = 1.7v
NorthBridge Voltage = 1.55v
SouthBridge Voltage = Auto
Clock Over Charge Voltage = Auto

Save, shut down and insert a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down. Remove the stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Then insert a stick in slot one and slot three. Retest. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU,

Memory and SPD tabs. Run linpack for stress testing.

Research Linpack:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Results?

The "freezing" could be caused by Vista (i.e. driver issues and sw conflicts).

Yesterday I bought Vista 64 SP1 and after installation it's something like nightmare in comparison with 32-bit.

After additional hundreds of megabytes of updates it is better, but be cautious what drivers you install there.

If you can try Vista 32-bit do it.

Anyway it's stupid (or rather smart ***) Microsoft marketing that in Vista 32 you can have only 4GB (in my case 2.7 GB because of memory mapped devices).

It's mathematics, not marketing.
It is marketing mathematics, since with PAE it would be possible to adress 64 or 128 gigs. In 32-bit you can theoretically copy some files from windows server and have more memory, but I never did that.

I can't reinstall Vista either since it keeps hanging up under the installation, so it has nothing to do with the OS itself.
Installation files of Vista are actually also Microsoft Software so it's more than probable that it can "freeze". You can try linux and if this also "freeze" the problem can be your hard drive - this week this happened to my nephew.

I advice to boot linux live cd with hd disconnected and you will see, then you can try to install linux on that hdd and see. It is so simple ...

The "freezing" could be caused by Vista (i.e. driver issues and sw conflicts).

Yesterday I bought Vista 64 SP1 and after installation it's something like nightmare in comparison with 32-bit.

After additional hundreds of megabytes of updates it is better, but be cautious what drivers you install there.

If you can try Vista 32-bit do it.

Anyway it's stupid (or rather smart ***) Microsoft marketing that in Vista 32 you can have only 4GB (in my case 2.7 GB because of memory mapped devices).

You *bought* Vista64? You know it is free download? The same license that works on Vista32 also works for Vista64, subject to the same restrictions.

Personally, I'll take Vista32 over Vista64 right now. I'm running both in a multi-boot system. There are just too many programs that don't run, or don't run correctly, on Vista64. MS needs to to some massive recompiling.

Try doing something as simple as printing a MS Office document under Vista64. Office runs just fine under Vista64, but wait until the 32 bit Office tries to call the 64 bit printer driver. Things come crashing down.

There are many other instances too. 32 bit programs cannot make calls to 64 bit devices.

Yeah I bougth that crap because I have dual boot both Vista 32 and Vista 64, Vista 64 is (exactly as you explained) for experiments and games. Vista 32 for work and games :-)

It's very cheap this Vista now, because we have to the end of the year excepion that everybody can buy OEM versions. So the price is something like 2 games (vista 64 home premium).

PS: I am not sure if with one license you can have several installations, I thought that you choose version and then you can use that version (but anyway, oem vista is cheap)

PS2: So you can not with one license have both installs simultaneously and I need to have sw licenses in perfect condition.

With license you can install it on one computer. It doesn't specify how many times you can install it on that one computer. :)

Anyway, I've noticed that the 64 bit IE does run faster. Unfortunately there are few add-ins that work with it. Media Player is also available in 64 bit. I did not notice any difference there.

V64 supports memory above the 4 gig limit, but I'm wondering if the 32 bit programs use any of that additional memory. Probably not. The 32 bit programs do not run any faster on V64. In some cases they seem to run slower.

• 2 weeks later...
bump bump!

I would look to RMA of the DRAM. You have other issues though. One stick shows errors, the other doesn't but the system hangs with it as well?

Possibly the board is damaging the DRAM. You might do well do RMA both DRAM and board. Be sure to document the serial number of the components.

Archived