Corsair Community

Problem with temperature sensor on the H150i Pro and iCue

J Snow

First of all I would like to apologize for my English.

I own the H150i Pro RGB and set up custom fan curve in iCue. I have modified the temperature sensor for the "Intel Core i7 8700K Package" however whenever I restart the PC the sensor returns to the default "H150i Pro Temp".

I am using firmware 1.0.4 and Icue in version 3.7.99; I've already tried reinstalling icue but it did not solve the problem. What could I do to solve the problem?

Thankful,

Use the H150i coolant temp sensor as the control variable as was intended. Also that’s how the cooler works. Fans remove heat from the coolant stream. They don’t do anything for heat generated in the socket that you see as cpu temp. Using package temp with an 8700 would be maddening. Your fans are going to be in a constant state of change. This is not how cooling works. If your coolant only goes +5C, then 5C is the most you can reduce fan speed. With a 360mm radiator and that cpu you are going to have low coolant changes. You can let the fans wander along and it won’t alter the cpu temp.

The reversion to coolant temp on boot has been mentioned before. I am not sure if that is being addressed. Most people quickly discover it is not a great control variable. If you insist on using it, move your fans back to your motherboard headers. It will do cpu temp control.

Use the H150i coolant temp sensor as the control variable as was intended. Also that’s how the cooler works. Fans remove heat from the coolant stream. They don’t do anything for heat generated in the socket that you see as cpu temp. Using package temp with an 8700 would be maddening. Your fans are going to be in a constant state of change. This is not how cooling works. If your coolant only goes +5C, then 5C is the most you can reduce fan speed. With a 360mm radiator and that cpu you are going to have low coolant changes. You can let the fans wander along and it won’t alter the cpu temp.

The reversion to coolant temp on boot has been mentioned before. I am not sure if that is being addressed. Most people quickly discover it is not a great control variable. If you insist on using it, move your fans back to your motherboard headers. It will do cpu temp control.

Hi c-attack,

Many thanks for the contribution. I'm going to follow your advice and I'm going to use the H150i as a sensor. Will you tell me what are the normal temperatures that the H150i pro works for so I can set up a proper curve?

Hugs.

Unfortunately this varies. On average most people see a baseline coolant temperature of +4-7C above their ambient room temperature. The exact number varies based on CPU core count (or TDP), power settings, and mostly case layout and radiator location. Rather than fuss over this power up the PC and let it sit. The H150i Temp you see after 30 minutes is your baseline. Set a low and quiet fan speed for desktop work.

The next phase is to find your typical peak coolant temperature. You could use a stress test for this, but it makes a lot more sense to use your normal programs, whether it is gaming, rendering, or whatever. Even if a lot of your coolant temp rise is GPU waste heat related (case heating up), that is still more air exchange needed and faster fans speed is better for both goals. You have a plenty of cooler for your CPU. Set a comfortable but not overly loud fan speed to the highest coolant temp you see. I am guessing you will only find a +5C rise from baseline to peak.

The last thing is to set a warning level about 5C higher than the peak. So if the highest coolant temp you saw was 33C, set a max at 38C. You should never get there, but if you did you would hear the fans before things got bad.

Again, you have a plenty of cooler so you have the luxury of setting all your fan speeds based on noise level. I wouldn't expect more than a 1C change by going faster or slower, so this is usually a good trade.

Archived