Corsair Community

Fan curves - what is the source

Yanta

I've seen lots of comments about what Corsairlink uses for the temp sources, many contradicting each other. So I'm looking for the definitive answer;

For the CPU fans is the source the coolant temp? Therefore the fan curve should be based on that temp (A very compressed and narrow fan curve).

Fans connected to the Commander Pro - Is theer source CPU temp, Coolant temp or some other source?

thanks you.

I don’t think there is much discrepancy. The “i” series coolers use the coolant temp as the control source (H100i Temp, H115i Temp, etc.). It can be changed to other things, but it may not be as efficient or effective as you like. Any fans connected to Commander Pto can have their control source set via the Link software as the “Group” setting. Possible sources are cpu temp, gpu temp, temp probe values, coolant temp and others.

thanks.

Ok, so for the case fans connected to the C/pro whose default group is "CPU Package" these are controlled by the CPU Temp.

I'm happy to leave as defaults, I just wanted to make sure I understand correctly which source is used so I can adjust the fan curve correctly.

Yes or whatever Link interprets as "CPU package temp" on your specific CPU. Some CPUs have dedicated sensors for this and whether Link uses that or the more traditional "CPU temp" seems to vary. Regardless, it will behave along those lines with a typical range of temperature. Lots of viable choices there.

For the cooler, I would leave it on coolant temp (H-whatever-i v2 Temp group). Coolant temp is slow to change up and down and yes, this makes the range small. However, you do not need to fans to keep pace with the CPU temperature -- only the coolant temp. The CPU temp will be governed primarily by voltage, then the physical properties of your CPU and the thermal conductivity through the lid, TIM, cold plate. After that the heat is in the coolant stream and that is just the garbage shoot. For every +1C you rise in coolant temp, your CPU temp will also go up +1C. Most people max out around +6-10C coolant delta (model + CPU specific), so there is not a lot of gain to be had and slow to medium steady fans is all you need.

Archived