Corsair Community

Corsair 600T Bad Airflow

divad

I don't know what conventional wisdom is with case fans and how they are configured, but my preference is to pull air in using exhaust fans out the back and top rather then push air in from the front. If you have more fans pushing air into the case than an exhaust fan(s) can push out, or forced out through other vents, you can get a lot of hot air trying to be forced out of the case and consequently additional heat build-up. Configuring fans with different orientations can sometime help this situation. I've never been a big fan (no pun intended) of just removing the side panel to cool things off. Any engineered airflow through the case just got confused when you do that.

Can't speak to the 600T directly yet, as I'm getting ready to do my first build with this case. But I will be montoring the temps (to the extent I need to), to watch for higher than normal readings.

redjr...

All i did was moved one of the HDD units across next to the PSU and removed the 2nd all together ...the front fan isn't obstructed and the GPU gets cool air as well has the MB.

Also i have a H70 on the out flow with the top fan also and find pulling air in has better results..

its because the 600t fans are 20mm thick instead of the superior 30mm thick 200mm fans and you cant swap them out because 30mm thick fans wont fit it's a huge flaw with the case and amazing it got through design stage.

its because the 600t fans are 20mm thick instead of the superior 30mm thick 200mm fans and you cant swap them out because 30mm thick fans wont fit it's a huge flaw with the case and amazing it got through design stage.

On looking i couldn't see to much of a problem from the design stage making it suitable for the 30mm x 120mm fans.

I have two 120mm fans now to bring more air in through the front panel... the front filter sure got some use but if the dust is getting drawn there then the pressure must be OK in the case as the inside has very little dust been very clean which im pleased about..

But for sure they needed to do something with the fans..

• 3 weeks later...

first off i love the look of this case.

i was very disappointed with the speed/airflow variance of the fans. considering the case has a built-in speed controller the fans should be higher rpm so the airflow is there when needed, and you could dial them down if its not. as it stands the fan controller is pretty useless. i love the case, but it has 2 design flaws that i have seen so far. first is the fans. second is the hdd racks. they have way too much wiggle room, which could transfer into noise depending on what drives you have in there. i had to put some electrical tape on the drive rails at opposite ends to stop the drives from having any free movement.

so the things to fix:

1. change the damn fans to something more powerful and use a fan controller than can dial those new fans down if needed. (thats what its supposed to do)

2. make the hdd rail mounts fit snug instead of flopping all around.

3. give an option for a third hdd rack on the bottom, with another 120mm fan in between them to allow proper airflow. having the ability to store more hdd is a plus for anyone wanting to use this as a server-type case as i did, but would also give better airflow to the second rack. withthe current fan there is no way any air is going to cool down any hdd in the second rack.

• 7 months later...

I have just ordered on of these,- white special edition. I was hoping not to put fans on the door.

Is the temp problem you are having on the CPU. If it is I would suggest disconnecting the top fan and see if that makes a difference. I assume you have the two heat sink fans blowing out towards the rear fan. Its possible that top fan is pulling out a lot of air before if goes through the heat sink fan, and hence your not getting enough airflow through the heatsink.

I have a liquid cooler (similar to the H50). I currently bring air into the case through the rear of the case and exhaust it through the top, it gives a 4 degree difference. If I had your setup I would reverse the rear fan and heatsink fans, then you'll get a nice cool flow through the heatsink and the hot air will go out the top. Its possible that you may increase the gfx card temp slightly doing this though

I would suggest to move the HD cages away from the intake fan. Seeing how you only use one HD, you could easily use up to 3 HD's mounted with the HD rack near the PSU which will provide unobstructed air flow from the intake fan.

Also I would suggest another intake fan on the side panel if you can get a mesh insert or side panel. This will give the GPU fresh air directly from outside and one last suggestion would be to take the heatsink off the GPU and reapply TIM. If the TIM is bad it causes the card to heat quite a bit more so you can't go wrong here.

Removing one hard drive rack and installing the other on the lower portion of the case helped me. Another thing that helped, on the front panel plug all bays that don't have anything in them. That stops air from coming out there and blow across the GPU and other things and out the top. My GPU fan never gets over 40%. I have a H50 with two fans blowing out. 100% load at 3.2/4.0 over clock temps 65c which means air has got to be moving.

I used the plastic molded carton the Corsair power supply came in to do the plugging.

LOL,

You can't help but have a good old chuckle at this post can you?? Especially at that attached picture, whilst complaining of "poor air flow", and then blaming the 600t itself for it, ROFL???

Why on earth go to the expense of purchasing an excellent case such as a 600t, (with impressive cable management design)....???.... To then simply bung all of your hardware into it without so much as a moments thought of actually "managing" said cables to provide a "clean airflow" to your components within!!

Certainly mount your HDD in the lower HDD Cage and remove the upper HDD cage, yes. And, do something about that awful cable management.

IF my system also just had the 1 HDD, (or 1 SSD respectively). Personally I'd get a bracket adapter and mount it in the 5 1/4" bay. Then, remove BOTH HDD cages, gaining you even more "air flow" :). Failing that, as people have suggested, move the lower HDD Cage over next to the PSU, completely opening up the path of the front 200mm fan.

I have a GTX 590 "Ultra Charged" that expels an awful lot of heat into my 600t. However, a bit of thought about cable management, moving or removing said HDD cages, and a bit more thought of how you could possibly improve things, and I don't suffer from significant heat build up of any kind at all. If I were to unplug my top 200mm exhaust fan as well. My temps wouldn't drop by 5 degrees, they would rapidly climb out of control.

I've improved some more on my 600t's lay out since this picture was taken, but if it helps to give you some idea on how to get the best of your 600t, then by all means please use the attached pic to give you some idea's :).

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m586/Arctic_Wolf666/600t%202nd%20attempt/IM000809.jpg

Good luck sorting your 600t out divad :).

• 3 months later...

Yupp just zip ties. I did the same thing and am only using 1 cage but mounted it in front of the power supply. I think im gunna get some 5 1/4 bay adapters for my 2 HDD's and get rid of the cage all together.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb472/equlizer36/20120120_230449Large.jpg

if u have restricted budget (like myself) use all stocks fan as an intake. i doubled the 200mm in the front panel, of course u only have one hdd cage near the PSU. n placed the 120 on the drive bays.

i always fond of the positive pressure case. hope that helps.

People non stop talk about bad airflow in Obsidian 650D or 600T but Air Flow depends from us. Fan inside is usually bad options in many cases. Change fans. Better light with cathodes and better fans. AP 181 on front panel, remove one or both HDD cage, or install only one near PSU.

Not install 120mm fan to hang and close air flow front from AP 181 if install such good fan. Noiseblocker Multiframe below DVD in hole, 2X140 Noiseblocker black silent on top exhaust, one 80mm noiseblocker under GPU remove PCI-E Aero slots and throw air exhaust too, maybe one 120mm on HDD cage to inject coold air in GPU, H70 or H80 or something else exhaust and temp will be better. Choose good not beutiful fan. Noiseblocker, AP 181 an Gentle Thypoon BE ar best and light case with two cathodes 12" and everything weill be better. I am satisfied with my airflow its almost same like in my old CM 690 Basic.

Or you can install one AP 181 on top to intake and in front to intake and noiseblocker below DVD and that will be freezing inside.

I managed to get an NZXT 200mm in the front to replace the stock one. Here are some pics. I used large zip ties (could only use 3 since the 4th one didnt line up at all) and 4 tabs of double sided foam tape.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb472/equlizer36/20120123_194402Large.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb472/equlizer36/20120123_213944Large.jpg

No such luck up top unless you want to top mount it.

Archived