Corsair Community

Will Corsair be releasing TRIM enabled SSD's intime for Windows 7 release?

governor

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

up to the samsung (corsair S/P based) and Indilinx (corsair X based) to provide the firmware update, but they should be, around the same time windows 7 comes out or not long after, do not know about JMircon based SSDs (some/currant corsair M based are JM) as it would really help them if they added TRIM support to that as they not suck as much

samsung do not offer firmware updates or tools yet, no TRIM tool have to use HDDerase Low level format to get the SSD back up to speed, but samsung based SSDs take an long time to degrade, unless you do an full format then 30mins to degrade or tools that Wipe free space, that needs to be in the FAQ never do full formats

• 2 weeks later...

You mean the TRIM command that is included in the now final Windows 7 isn't "finalized"?

Please clarify.

thanks

Note that Corsair's stated multiple times on the forum that they can't comment on it because TRIM hasn't been finalized as of yet.

Hello. New X64 owner here (Dell D820 with Win 7 RC installed). I read Indilinx and a Corsair competitor developed a new Barefoot firmware that does a "garbage collection" routine when the drive is idle (kind of a built in TRIM function). Will this be the competitor's exclusive firmware, or will all Indilinx based drives such as the Corsair Extreme series benefit from this future update?

Thanks

Steve

Hello. New X64 owner here (Dell D820 with Win 7 RC installed). I read Indilinx and a Corsair competitor developed a new Barefoot firmware that does a "garbage collection" routine when the drive is idle (kind of a built in TRIM function). Will this be the competitor's exclusive firmware, or will all Indilinx based drives such as the Corsair Extreme series benefit from this future update?

Thanks

Steve

Newer Samsung-based drives seem to have the VBM1901Q firmware, which DOES include a "garbage collection" feature. I have an older drive without this firmware. It's been *rumored* that Samsung will release a flash tool and updated firmware at some point in the future. I was on the verge of bailing on this drive until I saw that. As to whether or not Corsair will release an update from Samsung (or if Samsung will release one itself), who knows. BTW, my P256 is running firmware VBM1801Q.

• Corsair Employee
The Indilinx controller has their own version of "garbage collection" and supports Trim and if there is an update we will release it. Samsung does as well and runs automatically in the back ground where as the Indilinx has a utility that has to be ran. However the current version of Firmware from Samsung does not support Trim from Windows 7, Samsung is working with Microsoft to ratify their version of firmware and Trim support.

The Indilinx controller has their own version of "garbage collection" and supports Trim and if there is an update we will release it. Samsung does as well and runs automatically in the back ground where as the Indilinx has a utility that has to be ran. However the current version of Firmware from Samsung does not support Trim from Windows 7, Samsung is working with Microsoft to ratify their version of firmware and Trim support.

Can Corsair please release the VBM1901Q firmware + the flashing tool so those of us w/ VBM1801Q firmware (who also spent $700 on their P256s) could take advantage of the "garbage collection" functionality? Thanks in advance.

The utility is not available ATM but I would expect one to be released with in the next few months and that "garbage collection" is supported with any version of the Samsung firmware.

Thanks. If that were the case on VBM1801Q, wouldn't I simply be able to leave my drive/computer idle for some time and my write speeds would be recovered?

Are you having a problem with write speeds? Please post a screen shot of ATTO or Crystal Disk Bench mark.

Yea, I don't think it's a defective disk -- it's just usual SSD wear. It's my primary drive. I've seen reviews, etc. that point to that being remedied by the new firmware. I'm on a Mac so using XBench.

http://amromousa.com/temp/ssdmbp/ssd1.png

http://amromousa.com/temp/ssdmbp/ssd2.png

Unfortunately, I can't because this is my primary work computer. I'm a game programmer so building copies around a lot of files. You can see that it used to be much quicker (and noticeably so too!). The drive isn't *defective* -- it's just that the write performance has dropped by a significant amount. I knew it would drop but I didn't expect it to be by this much (35-52%?!). It has about 162 of 250GB free. My hope was that the firmware on the newer P256s would be released so early adopters, like myself, could put it on our drives. I saw you said that the update is coming in the future in another thread. My hope is that this can alleviate my need for TRIM since the drive will basically take care of itself over time. I suppose your hands are tied. Thanks anyway.

• Corsair Employee
You are using a MAC if I am not mistaken so Trim support will not do anything for you, and even if there is a new firmware that would require the drive to be formatted and re-installed. But you might try making an image of the drive then format it with a quick format and then image it back on the drive. However I would suspect it is just because its more than 60% full is the reason its slowing down.

You are using a MAC if I am not mistaken so Trim support will not do anything for you, and even if there is a new firmware that would require the drive to be formatted and re-installed. But you might try making an image of the drive then format it with a quick format and then image it back on the drive. However I would suspect it is just because its more than 60% full is the reason its slowing down.

Thanks, it's 160GB free so about 40% full. You're correct that TRIM wouldn't make a difference without OS-level support, which may or may not be included in *SNOW* Leopard. My understanding is that the GC features in the latest firmware are independent of the OS, though, which is why I'm looking forward to that release..whenever it is that Samsung allows Corsair to distribute it. This would alleviate the need for Trim since it would happen when the drive was idle instead of on file delete or trash empty. :)

• Corsair Employee
It is still not 100% clear about Trim support and why I try really hard not to comment to much about it. However the feature to clean the disk is or has been active since Version VBM18C1Q version of Firmware from Samsung is my understanding and the only reason to do a firmware update if if there is something that needs to be added for support of Windows 7. But you might try what I suggested and re-image the drive and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I contacted Samsung re. the firmware update issue re. TRIM and such and this is the reply I got from their Semiconductor Dept.

Your SSD has the latest firmware of PM800 SSD. You do not need to update the firmware now.

And we are preparing the firmware updating tool. Please wait for our notice. Our PM800 SSD will support Trim command when Windows7 is released.

So I would presume that when Samsung finalise this tool, Corsair will also be supported.

Cheers.

• Corsair Employee
Yes of course and please check the label on your drive and tell me the version number. The Latest Version VBM18C1Q supports self healing, if you have the first release at this time the only way to update the firmware would be to have you send the drive to me directly and I will update it for you. However, If you want to try that its NP but please note the information on the drive will erased so image your drive and format it before you send it. And please send me an email with your complete contact information and drive part number and I will tell you how to proceed. ramguy@corsairmemory.com ATT Ram Guy SSD

• 1 month later...

Any TRIM FIRMWARE update/info for my P128 just it's as promised?

You can all speak right out of the bag now. No NDAs holding you back anymore!

Or was my feeling right, that it was just a lame excuse for not knowing, if TRIM will ever be available for the P128.

Using HDerase on your drive every month just can't be right!! :confused:

It's about time we get some real response regarding the TRIM funktion, especially from SAMSUNG

Where did my thread go??

Did I hit a nerve somewhere?

OK, I'll ask nice this time.

When will we see the firmware update with the TRIM function for the P series?

RAMGUY, you kind of promised us that an update utility would be released, as soon as Windows 7 was released.

• Corsair Employee

I stated it would be released after the official release of Windows 7, I did not promise a date or say it would be the same day it was released.

And I am sorry I have no update at this time.

I have moved your posts to one thread!

Archived