Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B - Can it be O/C?

-Jim-

Hi Gents,

It's been a while but I'm back.

I'm building a new Rig just for me. Not that my old one didn't work, but rather it was just time to upgrade, and try some overclocking.

But I made a rookie mistake at NCIX, and let the Salesman choose which Corsair RAM (Vengeance Blue CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10B) to install. He was told I wanted 16 Gigs of Corsair (I always try to buy Corsair RAM), and was buying an Intel 4770K at the same time to O/C => as the Asus Z87-A makes it easy. (I bought all 3 at the same time.) The only other caveat was the Ram had to be on Asus approved vendor list, as I didn't want any grief later. He looked it up in the manual and said it was there.

First of all I wasn't sure I was going for water cooling, but I just bought a Cooler Master Seidon 240M Watercooling Kit tonight on line, as the Ram Spreaders were too high for a Noctua NH-D14 Air Cooler on the Asus Z87-A Motherboard (MB). (Those were the finalists for the CPU cooler. I wish I knew about the Spreaders before hand too.)

Anyway, before I go back to NCIX to see what can be done at their end, is there any capacity to O/C these two sticks?

I see other Ram rated at various O/C speeds (DDR3-2600 CL11-13-13-35 or Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400) but I really don't understand how things are currently being done. My old understanding was you over clocked the Ram as rated for the MB. In my case DDR3-1600. But it looks like you can buy Ram pre-certified (?) for certain O/C speeds. Or am I all wet here.

If you know the answer please chime in.

Thanks for the assist.

Anyway, before I go back to NCIX to see what can be done at their end, is there any capacity to O/C these two sticks?

There is no ay to tell other than to physically try them . Each set will overclock differently and also your other hardware will also have an effect on that overclock.

see other Ram rated at various O/C speeds (DDR3-2600 CL11-13-13-35 or Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400) but I really don't understand how things are currently being done. My old understanding was you over clocked the Ram as rated for the MB. In my case DDR3-1600. But it looks like you can buy Ram pre-certified (?) for certain O/C speeds. Or am I all wet here.

As you have noticed your CPU only has a 1600mhz memory controller. That would be the max memory speed Intel will guarantee. So any speeds above that would be overclocking. You will also notice that your MB will support much faster memory than the CPU and that is also to take into account overclocking .

While the kits you see at the really fast speeds are tested and guaranteed to be "compatible" with an intel system, those speeds are going to be highly dependent of the strength of the memory controller in your CPU. That is actually what you are overclocking and not really the memory. But at any rate, most of the Haswell CPU's shouldbe able to reach speeds of up to 2200mhz pretty easily. After that it will boil down to your individual CPU. But with anything overclocking , nothing is a "guarantee' except the modules, they would be guaranteed to run at 2400mhz AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A CPU WITH A MEMORY CONTROLLER THAN CAN HANDLE THOSE SPEEDS!

Unfortunatly there is no way to tell how strong/wealk an IMC is . Again it's just the luck of the draw and trial and error.

Take a look here , there is a little more in depth explanation here.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118024

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the insight. I've mucked about a bit and this MB doesn't need to have the memory adjusted to O/C. (At least at the lower levels). I got from 3.5 Ghz to 4.3 GHz in one step using their Ai Suite III software! It didn't touch the memory settings at all that I could see.

I'll keep reading and try to learn how to get the max out of my new Rig safely. ;)

First thing you can do is to start lowering your CPU voltage with your AI overclock. 99% of the time the preset OC's are set way too high for the given clock speed.

Just start lowering it say .2v at a time until it gets unstable. Then add .1 back the other way until it reaches stability again.. But you should be able to shave quite a bit off the preset and lower your overall CPU temps too.

Archived