Corsair Community

500D RGB SE Manufacturing/Assembly Issue

IronCrossMac

So, I purchased this case the other day to transplant my system into it for a refresh. I had to wait for a motherboard, but now, in between work and everything else, I've been slowly working on it.

I just now came to a point where I realized that the Commander Pro that came PRE-MOUNTED on the inside of the tempered glass, is going to need to be disconnected and reconnected every single time I need to open the case, unless I just crack it open a bit. I called technical support, and the answer I got was that it's a manufacturing issue, and it was suggested I use a hair dryer to heat the adhesive to safely remove it and place it somewhere else.

Now, call me crazy if you like, but I expected a bit more assistance from a company that I just bought a $250 case from (granted, on Amazon, but I chose this case over all others, and I have so many Corsair parts already). Seriously though, a hair dryer to remove a part that came mounted in the wrong spot in my $250 case? I asked if they would consider sending out a new side panel and Commander Pro separately, but I was told they don't really do that. I could check with returns to see if I could RMA it, but apparently that's not a thing that is done to remedy a KNOWN MANUFACTURING PROBLEM.

I'm upset, that's why I'm taking a break before attempting to use a hair dryer to fix a problem caused by Corsair to type this up. I'm just severely disappointed in Corsair. Nearly my whole build is centered around Corsair and Asus because I knew the products are top quality. I simply expected more from Corsair.

I guess I'll end my long-winded rant here. Ultimately, I'm going to do what I can to remedy this situation myself because at this point it would be more work to tear everything out again and start over with another case. Plus, the fancy new Corsair H115i Pro RGB Platinum AIO won't fit in my old case.

The more research I do on here on Zotty's amazing posts regarding the case, I'm also noticing that the Commander Pro, RGB Hub, and three provided fans were only plugged into the RGB Hub, with the Commander Pro being left out completely. This is a pretty huge error on Corsair's part, and a glaring quality control issue. I can't be the only person contacting them with this issue since the tech I talked to immediately knew what I was describing and mentioned the hair dryer right away.

The Q&A on these cases is extremely poor. There's a lot of threads about the CoPro and/or NoPro coming loose and sticking to various parts of the case. Mine was stuck to the PSU shroud. Like who wants it in the visible side of the case?

Anyway, the double sided tape Corsair uses is junk. You won't need a heat gun to remove it.

I used a hairdryer to remove mine. I had tugged on it a few times but it was stuck on there very well, and I was worried about damaging it by pulling on it. It appears to be working as intended now, in a much better location.

I still think it's a huge pain to deal with, especially given the premium price for the case and how critical placement and wiring is for the RGB Hub and Commander Pro.

Archived