Corsair Community

Macbook Pro 15.4 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo

morgaad1

I have a Macbook Pro with 2 x 2GB of apple OEM ram. I purchased some corsair ram CM3X4GSD1066, which according to Tigerdirects memorator memory wizard, this was supposed to work. I put it in and the computer seemed to boot fine. The new ram registered in "About this MAC" an it seemed alot faster, then all the sudden computer crashed . message says hold down power button until power turns off. Did this 3 or 4 times. turned off computer, re seated RAM, rebooted, Reset PRAM as apple crash help suggested. still crashes after less than 5 minutes.

Your Memory lookup tool does not show me any results for my computer. I don't see directions for memtester on MAC...

How can I make this work?

Thanks

-Andy

Sorry about that.

After reading some posts on here I got to trying some things other people tried.

I tried swapping the corsair ram to different slots ( theres only 2). Still having issues.

-tried one old ram and one new ram, still has issue

-tried the same old ram and the other new ram, -this worked.....:-)

So, I kind of answered my question about this being the correct ram...I'm thinking yes this ram is correct, and that it's just one of the new ram modules that is malfunctioning.

I am thinking I should get an RMA and return this malfunctioning module.

QUESTION: but....should I return it to corsair...or the place of purchase???

• 1 month later...

I know this is over 2 months ago so I apologize.

This particular Corsair module is a 2Gb x 8 configuration in terms of DRAMS, which, is something that I noticed is a common theme for memory that is advertised as MacBook and MacBook Pro compatible.

But I just dropped this in a 13.3" 2GHz late 2008 unibody MacBook and got it to work. Stock original memory, 1x1GB modules (Hynix manufactured, CL 7-7-7, 1.5v). When I first dropped in the Corsair 4GB module I dropped it into DIMM0 and left a 1GB Hynix in DIMM1. The MacBook booted up fine but only saw the Hynix. I then removed the 1GB Hynix completely and moved the Corsair into DIMM1 and all was well. Finally, I placed a Hynix module into DIMM0 and left the Corsair in DIMM1 and the system booted up flawlessly and saw all 5GB. The MacBook goes into sleep and out of sleep just fine. I then booted into single user mode and ran a memory test for 2 hours and everything came out with flying colors.

The memtest I grabbed: http://www.command-tab.com/2008/01/11/how-to-test-ram-under-mac-os-x/

Hope this helps.

Archived