Corsair Community

HS70 Charging Issues

So i ordered HS70 direct from corsair last week, and I've noticed some funky stuff. the website claims they last up to 16 hours. Last nigh I got about 7 or 8 hours total time played. I charged my headset but the max it would charge to was 93%. So i figured i'd leave it plugged it and go to sleep. When I woke up this morning I immediately booted up the PC, took my headphones off the charge (which was still green on the LED) turned it on and checked my battery. It was sitting at 80%. What gives here? do they stop charging if left connected? All of my firmware and stuff is updated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corsair Employee

Hi SinCitiSaint, it shouldn't stop charging if left connected, it should keep it fully charged for you. The battery life expectancy can depend on multiples factors, such as volume level and how often you have something actively playing. But if the battery level dropped while connected, we'd recommend getting a replacement just in case.

If you bought from our website directly, you can actually contact webstore directly for help with the replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having the same issue. When I plugged it in and left it charging overnight, next day they green indicator light would be on which would mean that the headset is charged however the battery level was at 70%. I would try again and it would show the green light but will be 83% charged. I thought it was an issue with the headset so I returned and exchanged for same headset, hs70 se. The problem is still happening with the exchanged unit.

I have updated to latest firmware.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have you guys tried charging it from the wall? Like using a phone charger or something like that?

If i plug it into my PC's USB 3.0 port it will charge to 80-85%, if i plug it into the wall with my phones fast-charger it goes up to 100%.

I guess the USB port on the PC isn't capable of charging it, or it just takes way too much time after the 80% mark.

• 2 weeks later...
I've actually been having the same issue. I use it for about 4-5 hours a night and then have to leave it on while I charge it over night. When I come back the next day it says its about 85-92% but wont charge over that, even playing and leaving it plugged in. I will try the charging with the wall tonight and see how that works.

Same issues as everyone above. I have the latest iCue (3.7.99) all firmware on all my Corsair products are up to date. I let my HS70 charge off the front usb (2.0/3.0) panel 12-16 hours a night and come back and play a game for 15-20 minutes only to have the notification say "battery low" I checked the iCue status of the charging and it never goes above 90% I also have a linked or separate issue with PUBG. I haven't had problems until recently but wirelessly or connected to usb (2.0/3.0) front panel the games audio goes in and out 3-5 seconds and picks back up. I just thought had a bad headset but looking over the forums others have has the same issue.

I have submitted a ticket and will proceed from there.

I've also had charging issues with my HS70. It's always a guessing game what percentage the battery will be at after I unplug it. Sometimes it will be at 100%, but commonly it will be some seemingly random percentage below that. Sometimes it is 92% or 96% or 72% or anything else.

For a very short time I thought I had figured it out. Originally I was turning the headset off and then plugging it in to charge. I decided to leave the headset on (while also leaving my computer on even though the USB ports do still provide power when the computer is off) so I could hear the "Battery Charging" and "Battery Complete" voice prompts.

Twice in a row this method resulted in the iCUE showing 100% charge after unplugging. I thought this had solved it. Maybe the headset somehow better regulates charging when it is left on or maybe leaving my computer on meant the iCUE software could work some magic. However, earlier today I unplugged it (light was green, had been charging for hours) and it only showed 96%. Not that far off from 100, but I decided to plug it back in.

Unplugged it a few hours later and the batter had gone DOWN to 88%. It started at 96%, I plugged it in, the light turned orange and then AFTER the light was green the battery had actually dropped to 88%. While plugged in.

I also have tried plugging the headset into my Anker 5-port USB charger (that I use for my phone and smart watch) with equally mixed success.

Honestly not really sure what to do at this point. I can still return it to the store I bought it from so I'm not convinced it is worth pursuing warranty work through Corsair. Also not sure if it is worth swapping it out for another one since other people are having this problem.

Real pity because I love the HS70 in every other way.

Edited by khaos

I posted originally about the charging issue I had with my HS 70SE (purchased at Best Buy).

I don't think i ever had 100% battery reading. All software through Corsair has been updated as well. I would get about 80% or 88% after charging for 12 plus hours or even greater. When I unplugged the charging cable it would show as green meaning that it was "fully" charged. The unit was plugged into my USB power hub which plugs directly to wall. USB hub is for charging only.

I returned the headset back to Best Buy and exchanged for another headset which is was the same HS 70SE. Again i was having the same issues.

I returned again and decided to go with another brand. It was wireless, more expensive, worked better, but it didn't fit right.

Amazon had a huge sale on the HS 70 (carbon edition) so being the frugal person I am, i returned the expensive set and repurchased the HS 70 hoping that maybe it was a "SE" issue. Well it wasn't and I still have the same issue with my current HS 70.

As I am writing this review I had the headphones charged over night (16 hours) and a green light before unplugging the headphones. My battery status is reading 66%.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with the unit dying on me while using but it is a shame that this issue hasn't been fixed yet.

I hope you guys have better luck than me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Have you guys tried charging it from the wall? Like using a phone charger or something like that?

If i plug it into my PC's USB 3.0 port it will charge to 80-85%, if i plug it into the wall with my phones fast-charger it goes up to 100%.

I guess the USB port on the PC isn't capable of charging it, or it just takes way too much time after the 80% mark.

^^^ I think this is the solve. If I plug mine into my USB 3.1 port, it charges to 93% and then tells me (literally in this case) "charging complete." At which point, with iCue Space open and the battery widget on display, I disconnected the micro end of the USB cable, and....93%.

However, when I plugged it (the USB cable) into my Anker multi-port "smart" charger and left it to fully charge again, the next time I turned the headset on it showed a 100% charge once more, so....try using a phone charger, or at least something more reliable than your computer's 2.x/3.x USB ports. At the very least, its a worthwhile troubleshooting step.

• Corsair Employee

There really are a few possibilities:

1. The battery needs to be reset and power cycled. On a Void Pro headset, this can be done by holding the Mute button for 15 seconds while the headset is powered on. On an HS70, let the battery die out and then charge it. That should fix the battery not reporting the correct charge.

2. The battery itself is faulty. If this is the case, we can provide a replacement through our support portal on support.corsair.com.

3. Windows is misreporting the battery charge. This just happens when the data is not updating correctly. Try powering the headset on and off, or restarting the computer. Using a different cable may help as well.

We don't generally go cheap on parts, and we keep an eye out for issues like these. As far as we know, there isn't any trending highly prevalent issue, but some failures should be expected. That being said, we'll get you set up as soon as possible if you create a ticket for the issue.

Is it safe to charge the HS70 headset overnight? The manual says you should unplug the headset from the charger promptly after it is fully charged. So am I unable to charge it overnight when I go to bed or go to work for the day?