Corsair Community

Corsair hydro H80IV2 connection inquiry

tincho004

Hi, I just built a new computer and bought the Hydor H80IV2 water cooling system, and an asus Prime Z270A Motherboard and a Core I7700K CPU. the problem is that the H80IV2 manual says to plug the 3 pin connector to the CPU FAN option and the motherboard says i should connect it to AIO_PUMP conector. so my question is where should I really connect it. Currently its connected to CPU fan and attached are values i get when stressing the CPU with Furymark CPU burner.

my biggest doubt is if the cooling system is receiving all the energy it needs to function in optimal conditions

i would apreciate any help/suggests i coulg get.

thx in advice

corsairlink.thumb.jpg.203233178a99cfa057bd080529180fb0.jpg

On the Asus boards, you can use either. If you use the CPU Fan Header, you need to make sure that you set it to PWM mode, DC Mode/100%, or disable fan speed control. The unit requires a constant 12V of power from the fan header. Do this in the BIOS; AI Suite III has a really, really nice fan control module but it's flaky and likes to crash. If you haven't installed it ... don't. Uninstalling it is a royal PITA; its uninstaller doesn't fully clean up after itself (kinda like my kids).

It's hard to say if your temps are normal ... you are at 100% CPU utilization and your core temps are in the low 80's ... but that's an instant value. Kaby Lake does spike occasionally and the average, over-time temperature under load is more telling on whether or not your thermal environment is good. Also, the TIM that Intel uses on the heat spreader isn't very good and that increases your core temps as well.

If you connect to the AIO Pump header, fan speed control is set to Disabled by default. That'll give you the full 100% power. You will need to disable the CPU Fan warning in the BIOS, however. See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=171471 for some details (and screen shots) of when I did just that on my Asus Maximus IX. This is how my system is currently set up.

From a functionality standpoint, it doesn't matter and you can put the H80i v2 on any header, as long as you set it to "Full Speed"/100% or disable the fan control in the Advanced BIOS to accomplish the same thing. The "AIO or W_PUMP header" is a marketing gimmick. It's just a normal fan header preset to 100%/12v constant. You can do this with any header. On some Asus boards, you can turn that AIO/W_pump header back into a normal fan control header. That is good, because Asus is starting to get wasteful with the headers. The CPU_FAN header can only be tied to CPU temp as a control variable and has shorter fan delays than other headers. OPT is a mirror of CPU fan, does whatever CPU fan does, and has limited use outside of a dual fan (CPU/OPT) control for CPU temp. In a water cooled system, this is one reason to use CPU fan for the cooler. It doesn't have much other use. OPT sits empty and wasted. The other is your standard BIOS will throw up a warning any time it does not detect something on CPU fan. This will give you a warning if the pump does not start/fails during the boot cycle and you'll wind up on a BIOS error screen instead. You will have to see if the AIO header can be re-purposed on your board. If not, you have three headers that can only do one thing. That is why I said Asus is getting a bit wasteful.

As for your temps, that is probably normal for a synthetic test in stock conditions. Note the 1.34v peak Vcore. That is certainly a usuable value, but an awful lot for the stock. All the 7700K's require a little BIOS tweaking to get flattering (or just normal) synthetic test results. If you haven't already, take a look at the Asus overclocking guide for Kaby Lake. It is a bit technical, but there are one or two take away pointers for setting things up. Another 7700K owner may be able to suggest a better target Vcore than the Auto setting and there is are a pair of Load Line Calibrations you want to check out in the BIOS.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

The "AIO or W_PUMP header" is a marketing gimmick. It's just a normal fan header preset to 100%/12v constant. You can do this with any header. On some Asus boards, you can turn that AIO/W_pump header back into a normal fan control header.

On the z270 boards, you can absolutely do this by going into the BIOS and enabling Q-Fan control for the AIO header. It will, however, only be controlled by CPU Temp; there's no option to use other temperatures to control the fan speed. This limits its usefulness, IMHO.

The other is your standard BIOS will throw up a warning any time it does not detect something on CPU fan. This will give you a warning if the pump does not start/fails during the boot cycle and you'll wind up on a BIOS error screen instead.

This is a really, really good point. Using the AIO header requires you to disable CPU fan monitoring ... while I'd have to check to see if you can have a warning on the AIO Pump, I don't think that you can. That said, it's not a guarantee ... when my pump died, it still reported RPMs. It was the temperature warning that indicated the failure so it's not a perfect fail-safe.

As for your temps, that is probably normal for a synthetic test in stock conditions. Note the 1.34v peak Vcore. That is certainly a usuable value, but an awful lot for the stock. All the 7700K's require a little BIOS tweaking to get flattering (or just normal) synthetic test results. If you haven't already, take a look at the Asus overclocking guide for Kaby Lake. It is a bit technical, but there are one or two take away pointers for setting things up. Another 7700K owner may be able to suggest a better target Vcore than the Auto setting and there is are a pair of Load Line Calibrations you want to check out in the BIOS.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

well i keept looking in the bios setup and i figured out XMP profile was enabled, after swtiching this to auto these are the new temps. right now i i dont feel like overclocking i want to keep my Computer healty :D:

1957116928_corsairlink.thumb.png.53a4b811753b951deec4e391f27b5363.png

Archived