Corsair Community

Bug: Powershell/Command prompt won't launch in visible window

Willis

CUE 2.20.72 (for sure was an issue on 2.19 as well). I believe it worked on 2.16, but unsure on versions between.

Bug: When having the run command of "powershell" it will open the process in task manager, but it will not be visible (no taskbar entry) for the active user. I tried modified to the full path and the same issue still exits. This used to work fine in older versions. Does the same with cmd as well.

It launches as the current user, but is not visible in any way.

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

This work for you? I could not get it to run without full pathing it, the %systemroot% normally linked doesnt work

No, it doesn't even work for me when I use the full path. It still launches a non-visible process. Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that, but now see I had not.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1802127/how-to-run-a-powershell-script-without-displaying-a-window

That link may be helpful? it is the opposite of your problem.

When you just run that exe from the command line it opens no problem i take it?

like if you copy and paste this in teh run box?:

C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

you get different results?

Came here to say that I'm experiencing the same thing. I wouldn't have even noticed the background processes had I not read this thread. This really sucks, because I have this keyboard at work, and most of my macro keys are powershell scripts written to help me do my job, and this has slowed me down considerably over the past week.

I've also noticed this happening to my scripts at home about two weeks ago, before which my scripts were running in the foreground. I've tried the above suggestions to no avail, including a reinstall, unfortunately to no avail.

If there's any further information I can provide to help debug, I'm more than willing.

I hardly ever use powershell except to rename files by piping dir or ls results into a rename like:

DIR | Rename-Item –NewName { $_.name –replace " ",""}

dir | ren -newname { $_.name.ToLower() }

but i always do that stuff after opening it, i don't have any real experience with it and until tonight, i could not reproduce what you mentioned.

That was even on 2 different win10x64 pro machines, BUT then i happened to uncheck legacy mode incidentally in the properties and then suddenly when i tried in cue again, i could not get it to run. Even when i checked legacy mode back on, i could not get it to run.

In my experience, task manager showed nested within CUE, the console host window and powershell as many times as i ran it from within cue. Different / normal results when i clicked a shortcut to the exe or just running the full path to the exe.

That said, i did solve it by running from within cue this:

cmd /c powershell

which seems to work fine? Now there may be some form of elevation issue there, or some other particulars of powershell that are dumbed down when within command prompt, but I am unaware of the nuances. Let me know if that works for you because for me it seems to be working.

For serious, i feel like i am being pranked, i 100% had this working two seconds ago and now i tried it again for giggles and CUE is not allowing me to put in cmd /c powershell in the program line. It is switching the direction of the slash and running nothing...I also tried making a desktop shortcut to that and linking cues program run to the .ink shortcut which redirected it to cmd.exe in the system folder and it either didnt run anything or ran hidden windows as before...I tried running cue as admin and without.

Even if I full path command prompt it is not running from within cue...this is new behavior. I also made a batch file and tried running it and it isnt running...i dont know whats up.

• 2 weeks later...

whatever issue i had running exe's with parameters as well as batch files has been corrected in the latest cue update. powershell still does not show without doing the following:

make a bat file with this:

@ECHO ON

start C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

END

which seems ot open up fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

@hastegag - cmd.exe has the same hidden problems that powershell does, so launching powershell from cmd is a no-go. The batch start workaround does appear to work, but Corsair needs to fix this at the software level, users shouldn't need to make a custom batch file for every application they would wish to launch.

The core issue still persist through CUE version 2.21.67

• 2 months later...
users shouldn't need to make a custom batch file for every application they would wish to launch.

A slightly better workaround for anybody else with this issue, is to create a single batch file with the contents of

@ECHO ON

start %1

END

and then assign the launch command as

"c:\path-to-batch-file\launch.bat" powershell.exe

Then you only need to create one batch file. Unfortunately, you can't use environment variables such as %userprofile% for your path when doing this.

Archived