Corsair Community

iCUE: battery drain and higher CPU temp in Dell XPS

crimsonyangpa

I have been trying to figure out the cause of significantly reduced battery life and high CPU temperature even at low workload for couple of months now. By chance, I discovered that uninstalling the iCUE software dropped CPU temperature by 10C and almost doubled my battery life from 4 hrs to 9 hrs. And when I installed iCUE again, it dropped the performance of my laptop again (even when the program is not running), leading me to conclude that iCUE was doing something undesirable to my laptop. As I still want to use the software for my devices, I was wondering if anyone has ever had similar issue and how they solved it.

tldr: iCUE causing higher CPU temp and lower battery life on dell xps. How to fix this issue.

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I just joined here as I have the same experience as the original poster.

Dell XPS 9560, Battery life was showing 6 hours from a full charge, I thought it was failing. I removed the Corsair software and closed down anything associated with it and now my battery life is 18 hours. (I have the larger battery and everything turned to full power saver in an effort to find the problem) As I sit here now I also notice the fans are quieter. So I assume temps have also gone down which is good.

The reason I uninstalled the corsair software first is, I came across this problem before and fixed it by removing this software and this time it fixed it again (I simply forgot in the meantime that I had re-installed it)

So, Those of us with these laptops (And possibly other laptops) can't really use this.

Any solution forthcoming Corsair people ?

• 9 months later...

Hello All,

I am experiencing similar issues on my XPS 15 (7590). I use my laptop for university, and I am hardly able to get through half the day, even with the larger 97Wh battery option. I have also noticed significant use of the cooling fans during seemingly light tasks (basic browsing/video streaming) with no intensive background processes. I'll try uninstalling for a week or as suggested to see if I notice a significant difference.