Corsair Community

H80i v2 + hx750i linking both ??

Louiscar

I got on to Corsair chat before buying anything to ask the question:

How is it possible to connect both psu and the cooler H80i together - would I need a splitter cable as I've only got one usb header available ?

I was told that it was possible and that the cable required will come with the H80i v2 allowing the psu to connect to the H80i.

So now that I've bought that and opened the box I see to my dismay only one connector cable which isn't going to allow Anything else to be connected to it.

It's a usb > usb header cable and I just don't see how this is going to be possble.

I haven't bought he PSU yet as I'm going to upgrade to a new system and still deciding what to buy.

I have searched around to try to find out how these two things connect together but without any joy and I'm don't want to have to buy a commander which shouldn't be necessary.

To add to the possible problem I am in the UK so phoning support is not practical.

Can anyone that has experience of connecting these two tell me how it is done, what I need and why the support guy might have said it was possible just out of the box?

I got on to Corsair chat before buying anything to ask the question:

How is it possible to connect both psu and the cooler H80i together - would I need a splitter cable as I've only got one usb header available ?

You asked about an H80i, but now have an H80iV2 which is different.

This is no big deal and it's easy enough to connect both, but they both need to be USB connected.

There are two different solutions, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759585 for them.

You asked about an H80i, but now have an H80iV2 which is different.

This is no big deal and it's easy enough to connect both, but they both need to be USB connected.

Arrgh! I didn't think these would differ, just thought the v2 was an update to the h80i and the answer for the cable would be the same. If v2 means no you can't connect psu as well the support guy should have pointed it out. Not too logical as I'm sure people still want to pair psu-i + Hxxi together.

Thanks for the pointer to the thread - not sure I want o mess with the pins but will look at the options available.

No, the H80i is made by CoolIT but the H80iV2 + H80iGT by Asetek and they use totally different protocols which would make it tricky to have a C-Link port. Further the latest CoolIT H110i + H110iGT are also lacking the C-Link port that would allow a PSU to be connected or the cooler to be connected to a CL Mini.

I feel that the latest generation of coolers failing to have a C-Link port is a step backwards and I am at loss as to why Corsair did this.

Oh god! What a nightmare. I only bought the i version because I'm sick of opening the case and hitting that profile button on my H80 when I want to do something heavy.

Your info is very useful but disturbing and not much of this is readily apparent from other sources or the Corsair site. The whole idea of the 'i' on the end I thought was to denote a digital link capable of control via software.

I'm going to have to rethink fan control I guess. It may be better to just ignore Link and control the fans some other way.

Just get an NZXT IU01 USB Expansion and all should be fine.

The H80 is different yet again and only has a C-Link port.

BTW I suspect "Processor Xeon x5820" is incorrect as there is no such Xeon CPU and I assume MIS is a typo.

I looked at the IU01 which is available on Uk Amazon but worried about the rev 1.1 catching fire as a few have experienced when plugging the power in. :-) I don't need to apply power so I think I'll get it.

Thanks for the heads up - I've got 5820k on the mind as it's between this and 6700k I'm pondering. I've corrected now it's the X5650 (Westmere) I have currently.

As for Corsair dropping the C-Link stuff I am not surprised frankly - it's almost impossible to get the commander mini anywhere else other than the Corsair site. When I have found someone selling it, it's been priced at 3 times what it should be. That to me is quite telling and I'm assuming that Corsair are probably just getting rid of their stock now and it will probably disappear.

Not too encouraging and it really does make me rethink the whole idea of taking all fan control away from the Corsair solution and just finding something better.

Archived