Corsair Community

Corsair One Pro Ti - Recurring reboots issue

Crescentto

Hi Guys, so I got this device ( CS-9000009-EU, LOT# 1741.. ) in February, and it works just fine with low noise/temps and great graphics, except for this annoying issue: It almost certainly automatically reboots at least once in the first hour of usage after a startup, the screen just freezes for a second or two, then reboots immediately. It happens even in idle state without anything running.

I've run all tests in the included diagnostic App and they all pass. In System History section it recorded the unexpected shutdowns, I attach an example here from today where the only Application Error reported was a CLR20r3 on Corsair Link service.

Any idea of how to deal with this issue? Thanks

diagnostic.PNG.f4b33b58d091a9e57fcea4753132b54a.PNG

• Corsair Employee

Interesting. Does this happen during idle/when doing light tasks or is it something that happens when you're putting a load on the system such as running a game?

Also, go into BIOS and see if you're able to change the PCIe speed from Gen 3 to Gen 2. You'll find that in Advanced settings if it's enabled. If it isn't there, I'd recommend talking to our customer service team for additional help.

Interesting. Does this happen during idle/when doing light tasks or is it something that happens when you're putting a load on the system such as running a game?

Also, go into BIOS and see if you're able to change the PCIe speed from Gen 3 to Gen 2.

I see it's not connected to system load, it happened once or so during a game but mostly happens during idle or light usage.

It also happens each day once or max twice in the first hour after cold boot, then it seems to be stable till shutdown.

No I have a newer device with the modified BIOS menus, so the PCIe speed is not present in advanced options. I had changed the DMI option though to Gen2. Note I use the rear HDMI port for monitor.

I actually had the device from Netherlands and got it transported now to the middle east, so it would be trouble to ship it around the world again for service. Hopefully the issue could have a more "soft" solution. Thanks!

Do you happen to have any 3rd party security software installed? If so, try disable that.

Actually no, just the default Windows defender, I largely kept the system as-is, just updated Windows and MSI/Nvidia drivers, and installed a couple of games from Blizzard and Steam.

So today it had 2 unexpected reboots, but one of them was interesting: it is the first time that the screen just froze but the reboot didn't trigger automatically. I had to press the power button to force power off after a minute or so.

• Corsair Employee
So today it had 2 unexpected reboots, but one of them was interesting: it is the first time that the screen just froze but the reboot didn't trigger automatically. I had to press the power button to force power off after a minute or so.

I'd try to contact customer support to see if they're able to help at this point.

Maybe worth a shot to try & reseat the components. Something may have moved during transport.

He can try, but he risks voiding his warranty depending on what he reseats (we only officially support DRAM and SSD upgrades that use validated CORSAIR hardware).

For reference though, here's a link to a support doc that may be of assistance.

https://support.corsair.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47/kw/upgrade

So it seems that disabling Windows 10 "fast startup" feature fixed this issue for me. This is the third day without any crashes after cold boots since I tried this. I had already turned off the MSI fast boot utility, but it didn't get fixed until I turned off the Windows feature from (Control Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable -> untick (Turn on fast startup). The difference in boot time is not even noticeable.

Thanks for all suggestions so far, I'll update here if something happened, but given it continues to function this way the issue here should be flagged as [solved].

I'll also keep an eye for future compact/quiet PCs from Corsair, especially for something more modular/upgradable, and less dependent on closed software (Link) to manage the hardware. Thanks for the quality build, and keep up the good work!

• Corsair Employee
So it seems that disabling Windows 10 "fast startup" feature fixed this issue for me. This is the third day without any crashes after cold boots since I tried this. I had already turned off the MSI fast boot utility, but it didn't get fixed until I turned off the Windows feature from (Control Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable -> untick (Turn on fast startup). The difference in boot time is not even noticeable.

Thanks for all suggestions so far, I'll update here if something happened, but given it continues to function this way the issue here should be flagged as [solved].

I'll also keep an eye for future compact/quiet PCs from Corsair, especially for something more modular/upgradable, and less dependent on closed software (Link) to manage the hardware. Thanks for the quality build, and keep up the good work!

Thanks for following up with your fix as well as the feedback.

I posted about a similar problem I had about two months ago with crashing on cold boot...was going to try disabling fast boot, but before doing that, I did some research along with help from MS analyzing my crash dump file, and we pegged it as the WiFi driver, believe it or not.

I had updated my WiFi driver to the latest from Intel, so I reverted back to the WiFi driver listed on the Corsair One driver web page, and no more crashes on cold boot.

Mind you, my problem was a bit different then yours, as the machine would only crash DURING cold boot, not after it had already booted up...

Another interesting fact was if you weren't paying attention, and monitoring Windows Event Viewer, you probably wouldn't even know my One was crashing on cold boot, because there never was a BSOD (although a crash dump file was generated).

The only way you'd know something was happening during cold boot was I would not see the default ONE logo during boot up...the screen would just be black (I would see the three boot options though, in the upper left)...and you would realize it's taking longer than usual to boot...then the screen would refresh and the ONE logo would appear and it would boot as normal.

This would only happen during a cold boot...so it was crashing during initial cold boot, would then try and reboot itself after crash, and then it would work.

Reverting back to the original WiFi driver that was posted on the Corsair One website fixed this...

If it isn't apparent by now, these machines are rather "delicate," and I'm not surprised it's taking forever for a new BIOS to appear...in fact, I would be very hesitant to update my BIOS on this machine until some time has passed and any major bugs are fleshed out with any new BIOS.

Archived