Corsair Community

Motherboard compatability question

kc5vdj

Will the radiator fit on an Asus Maximus VIII Impact board?

Does the cooler respect the "Area D" height specification as specified in

"Mini-ITX Addendum Version 2.0

To the microATX Motherboard Interface Specification Version 1.2

October 2010"

Thanks Dustin.

You rawk, man. I was thinking that it wouldn't after watching your Bulldog build video yesterday.

Oh, and Congrats on finishing Bulldog! Maybe you can be less grumpy now! :biggrin:

October 2010"

What Dustin said. Look at these 2 boards instead: ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming and the MSI Gaming Z170i. Both support PC3200 memory and M.2 @ PCI-e Gen3 x4 speed.

October 2010"

Hey. I received my Bulldog a couple days ago. And yes, you can fit an Asus Maximus VIII Impact in this case with the Hydro Series™ H5 SF...How do I know? Well...because I did it :D:

It does require a couple of modifications. These mods don't require any modification (cutting, sanding, bending, or trimming) of the actual cooler mounting hardware.

• Corsair Employee
Hey. I received my Bulldog a couple days ago. And yes, you can fit an Asus Maximus VIII Impact in this case with the Hydro Series™ H5 SF...How do I know? Well...because I did it :D:

It does require a couple of modifications. These mods don't require any modification (cutting, sanding, bending, or trimming) of the actual cooler mounting hardware.

Which modifications did you do?

A few washers may help out. The posts on the H5 SF mounting kit have 5-6 threads, and a washer will help raise the radiator above the VRM daughterboard while still getting a couple of threads in hopefully.

Which modifications did you do?

Well, one of the first issues I encountered was the H5 SF's L shaped mounting bracket interferes with the heat sink/shroud of the riser card when trying to attach it to the screw points.

What I did was remove the back of the riser heat sink (two screws). Then I put the screws and plastic washers back on (to keep the front of the heatsink held in place).

With the back removed, I was able to set the H5 SF's bracket properly. I then placed the Impact's riser back shroud back in its place sitting ON TOP of the H5 SF's bracket. Line it up with the mother board screw holes and secure with the motherboard screws.

Now that the bracket is attached, I had to get the blower mounted. Normally, the riser does not allow the hoses to fit. So, in order to raise the blower up, I used some motherboard standoffs I happened to have lying around. I screwed them into the 3 holes on the bracket. I then screwed the H5 SF's standoffs into those motherboard stand offs I attached.

I installed the cpu block as normal. When mounting the blower, I used the included screws. I screwed down the blower just enough for the screws to catch the standoff threads. I made sure the screw closest to riser wasn't causing the hose to compress between the blower and the riser. The screw on the the standoff on the left (looking from the front of the case), was adjusted to match the one on the right. The screw at the top I was actually able to tighten slight more to eliminate most of the wiggle. You could probably add washers for a 'tighter' fit.

When fitting the top lid of the Bulldog, I discovered I had to remove the foam padding that sits over the cooler. There is sound deadening material on the top lid. On that sound deadening material, there is an area of foam padding. Because the cooler now sits higher than intended, that foam padding doesn't allow the lid to sit properly.

I used a heat gun and a knife to remove the foam and glue. I was able to remove the foam and glue with no damage to the sound deadening material. After that, the lid fit perfectly :D:

27702607475_4baee9daf4_b.jpg

27089998784_88361c95f0_b.jpg

27702607615_c7045dc68f_b.jpg

27702607535_0e01863cac_b.jpg

27628011601_b5c8823ec7_b.jpg

27092690163_88025fb5d9_b.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Well, one of the first issues I encountered was the H5 SF's L shaped mounting bracket interferes with the heat sink/shroud of the riser card when trying to attach it to the screw points.

What I did was remove the back of the riser heat sink (two screws). Then I put the screws and plastic washers back on (to keep the front of the heatsink held in place).

With the back removed, I was able to set the H5 SF's bracket properly. I then placed the Impact's riser back shroud back in its place sitting ON TOP of the H5 SF's bracket. Line it up with the mother board screw holes and secure with the motherboard screws.

Now that the bracket is attached, I had to get the blower mounted. Normally, the riser does not allow the hoses to fit. So, in order to raise the blower up, I used some motherboard standoffs I happened to have lying around. I

screwed them into the 3 holes on the bracket. I then screwed the H5 SF's standoffs into those motherboard stand offs I attached.

I installed the cpu block as normal. When mounting the blower, I used the included screws. I screwed down the blower just enough for the screws to catch the standoff threads. I made sure the screw closest to riser wasn't causing the hose to compress between the blower and the riser. The screw on the the standoff on the left (looking from the front of the case), was adjusted to match the one on the right. The screw at the top I was actually able to tighten slight more to eliminate most of the wiggle. You could probably add washers for a 'tighter' fit.

When fitting the top lid of the Bulldog, I discovered I had to remove the foam padding that sits over the cooler. There is sound deadening material on the top lid. On the that deadening material, there is an area of foam padding. Because the cooler now sits higher than intended, that foam padding does allow the lid to sit properly.

I used a heat gun and a knife to remove the foam and glue. I was able to remove the foam and glue with no damage to the sound deadening material. After that, the lid fit perfectly :D:

27702607475_4baee9daf4_b.jpg

27089998784_88361c95f0_b.jpg

27702607615_c7045dc68f_b.jpg

27702607535_0e01863cac_b.jpg

27628011601_b5c8823ec7_b.jpg

27092690163_88025fb5d9_b.jpg

Thanks for the info, and nice setup.

• 7 months later...

Archived