Corsair Community

H150i pro and fans

ShadowSabre

Hi first time posting and I was wondering if I get the h150i pro and then use the fans from h100i that spin faster I have 4 so need 3 will it cool better with them fans, I am not worried about the noise thanks, should have added that I will be cooling an i7-8086k at 5ghz 1.325v

Hi first time posting and I was wondering if I get the h150i pro and then use the fans from h100i that spin faster I have 4 so need 3 will it cool better with them fans, I am not worried about the noise thanks, should have added that I will be cooling an i7-8086k at 5ghz 1.325v

You can, yes, but it's not likely that you'll see much, if any, difference in performance. As fan speeds increase, you'll get diminishing returns on performance as there is only so much heat that the radiators can ... radiate.

I also have same query in different perpective. I have h100i v2 which is doing very hard to keep the cpu cool. It hits 90-95 on benchmark on 4.3ghz i am not even on 4.7ghz mark and cant think of 5ghz and above.

Is that h100i vs h150 pro does that improve the cooling.

I know 8700k is worst heat tim which many keeps deliding to get 20 degree more cooling performance.

It will void warranty which i might thing later after 3 years if needed.

I was wondering if the heat so high will the cpu even survice after 3 years

I want to upgrade to 150i as 100i and even 115 were meant and produced for 4 core and 8t since additional core produce more heat i hope the 150i can do the needfull ,, But why did corsair limit the speed of fans from 2400rpm to 1600 was it even a limittion of magnetic levi fans .

If they can push the speed to 2200 atleast it makes difference. As even air cooler perform better due to the low speed fan. there need a better fans.

I also want to run push pull on 150 pr will it improve the temps and i dont want to oc beyond 4.7 but sync all cores instead of 1 core.

Because the fan speed is not overly critical and the larger the surface area of the radiator, the more this is true. Before upgrading to another cooler, it would make sense to discuss your coolant delta during load. That is the only thing that will change. A 10 ft tall radiator panel won’t help if you have the worst CPU ever or are running 1.40v.

Isn't high static pressure better for rads since the h100i v2 fans have 4.0-h2o and the h150i fans only have 1.75mm-h2o unless I am wrong

In general, yes. However, over a certain point, you don't get any better performance. At full speed, you'll get about the max radiator cooling with the fans that ship with the coolers.

Isn't high static pressure better for rads since the h100i v2 fans have 4.0-h2o and the h150i fans only have 1.75mm-h2o unless I am wrong

Static pressure is RPM dependent. The higher the speed, the more it takes to reduce the fan to zero rpm (that’s the measurement). Not always helpful. The SP120L and ML120 have very similar values when at the same rpm. 120mm fans don’t usually have linear P-Q curves and often a lift at the end. This makes the end number a bit more flattering than actual use. You also need a fairly substantial difference in static pressure to translate into actual temperature differences and those may only be apparent at low fan speeds. The faster the fan goes, the less static pressure is going to matter. Don’t get hung up on this unless you see values of less than 1. What you certainly will notice is how much less noise the ML series makes at speed compared to the SP120L.

So even for 4.3ghz will the h150 pro will help in reducing the heat or not .

Currently i am having following config

8700k @ 4.3gzh all cores sync with 1.23v manual . Best case scenario with LL4 power handling .

i am getting 38-47 idle and above 80-88 on load peak. But gaming is under 85 deg.

Even though i had push pull config , But the push is lower rpm 2000 and pull is 2400 RPM original sp120.

Will 360mm can disipate extra 5-8 deg or not . Say my current idle can it bring down to 35 and upward less than 80 degree on load. @ 4.3ghz.

idle scenario the best cooler and chip combo should be 33 on idle and 66 on load.

What's your ambient temperature? 28-33-

What's your coolant temperature?38-44.5

What's your case internal temperature? (Assuming that the radiator is configured as exhaust).35-38

Despite your manual setting, what is the actual vCore being supplied to the processor?

__________________ max 1.23-1.25

There is no 40C=bad rule. The coolant temperature is going to be relative to the room and case temperature. Someone using a PC in a 30C room, with an internal case temperature of 35C is going to see a minimum coolant temp of 35C and more likely closer to 40C. There is nothing wrong with the cooler. It can't reduce the temperature below the local ambient temperature. This is true with air coolers as well.

The difference in coolant temperature between idle and full load will give you an indication of the cooler's effectiveness or general health. As I suggested in the other thread, you should not see a H100i Pro coolant temp change of more than 6-7C between idle and 100%. I suspect it will be more like +5C. Playing games or anything with a GPU component adds waste heat into the mix, so not good for diagnostic purposes. It does matter for general case management, but not helpful here. It seems like you have a hot room and a hot case. That does create a penalty for you and this may be the more beneficial place to make changes.

So if your coolant delta is 5-7C and the H150 and H115i PRO are 4-5C, then you are only looking at a 1-2C change, as suggested earlier. I don't think you can fit a 360mm in the 400R, so are you looking at a case change as well? That might make a difference and certainly will for choices. Regardless, you get the biggest radiator that fits your space. The cooling differences are small, but the advantage of larger surface area is good cooling with effortless fan speed. Fan speed seems to be doing nothing for you, so that may be something to discuss in an analysis of your current state.

ok i have a new case may be my sig misleading. All i want is less idle and less peak temps.

Surface area yes it matter's Also the cooling efficiency when cooler was designed for quad core but getting 6 core head will eventually degrade the cooling effeciency by 33 percentage more or less.

Here are some snaps.

can i improve with 360mm rad

My case is TT core x71 tempered model.

I have close to 13 fans including rad

3 intake 120mm x3

side R 3x 120mm

side L 2x 120mm

rear L 1x 140mm

rad top 2x 120mm SPL120 2400 RPM

Bottom 2x 120mm CM slick flow 2000RPM

1697187757_CPUTEMPS.JPG.7a04221fe576d7cafb75b29b91350074.JPG

1077314768_h100iv2.JPG.7e0c9f0ef9f63b3f0c88f66538329f81.JPG

700149523_CPUZ.JPG.ee1db2823b34483ad3efd79a90203fbb.JPG

OK, now I remember. We went through a lot of analysis back in April. This is that same H100i v2? Somehow I misread the above and thought you were on a H100i PRO and bought a new cooler. You had a really warm environment and that was complicating the fact finding.

I think the final conclusion back then was you might want to look for a new cooler. I don't have much love for the H100i v2. Others don't get much longevity. I would replace it with any of the PRO coolers. You will not get a magic 5-8C drop between a working H100i v2 and a H150i PRO. However, you most certainly might if the H100i v2 is deteriorating in performance, which it seems to be true. That or you have a terrible airflow in the case. That was how we left it. Given the circumstances, I would upgrade to the H150i or H115i PRO - whichever fits best in your case. There won't be a meaningful performance difference between them. Take the one that fits your overall layout. I am not sure this makes Prime95 tolerable with a 35C room temp on an overclocked 8700K, but there is sufficient reason to think your current cooler is not quite up to par. The coolant temp is just a little too high for me, even in light of the room temps.

Your peak temps aren't terrible, especially if that's after a run in Prime95.

We don't know about your coolant temperature - 43.5C is rather high but we don't know what was happening before that. As c-attack mentions, a warm environment is a problem - the coolant cannot be any cooler than the air that's blowing through the fins. So if that air is warm due to environmental factors, poor case air flow or both ... a new cooler won't change that. It's physics and it's inescapable.

And just because you have 13 fans doesn't mean that you have good airflow ... or well-designed airflow. You need a balance of intake and exhaust (with a preference to intake) and you need to make sure that manage the heat from the GPU. And you need to make sure that the air is properly circulating in the case, that you don't have dead spots (often due to clashing air flow from fans) and that the GPU heat isn't sucked directly into the cooler.

true

I agree. was the point here is radiator meant to cool the quad core vs hexa core is kind of overload.

Even running the rad in push pull which helps 1-2 degree less but still idle and coolant temps is rather hot

Also case i mentioned has the space enough for air circulation. I mean it has enough room for air to go.

say 3 intake from front and 3 intake from side left and 2 from right out and 1 from rear out and 4 from top moving the hot air from rad and pc out .

Not sure if any other options to give more air flow.

My current ambient is 27 deg

but the cpu is 53-66

wasnt this high .

Also the peak is not prime95 it just gaming temps or normal encoding temps

i am again back to zero if i need a cooler or not

does 150i pro doesnt do enough cooling than 100i v2

true

I agree. was the point here is radiator meant to cool the quad core vs hexa core is kind of overload.

The radiator is designed to cool a specific TDP, not a specific number of cores. For reference, AMD actually ships an adapter and lists this cooler as compatible with and suitable for a Threadripper. Which is a tad more than six cores. That statement is pure silliness.

Even running the rad in push pull which helps 1-2 degree less but still idle and coolant temps is rather hot

That's more likely environmental but we don't have clear details on that. Shut the system down for a while. Then boot up. How quickly to the temperatures rise? After a load, how quickly do they go down?

Also case i mentioned has the space enough for air circulation. I mean it has enough room for air to go.

say 3 intake from front and 3 intake from side left and 2 from right out and 1 from rear out and 4 from top moving the hot air from rad and pc out .

Not sure if any other options to give more air flow.

My current ambient is 27 deg

but the cpu is 53-66

What's the internal case temperature? It's not the outside temperature that's flowing through the radiator, it's the temperature from inside the case. Again, number of fans doesn't mean that the airflow is ideal. You could well be pushing the hot air from the GPU straight into the radiator.

does 150i pro doesnt do enough cooling than 100i v2

The 150i Pro is more efficient at dissipating heat from the coolant. But if your problem is that you aren't managing the heat from your system properly and your GPUs waste heat is going through the radiator and heating it up, there isn't a radiator in the world that will solve the problem.

thanks for the input.

My gpu doesnt produce much waste heat.

it idles 45 deg and never goes up on normal pc usage

check the above video he is oc'in 8700k @ 5.1ghz not sure what his room temp or case temp as its open while video was taken.

If this cooler can get the cpu on full load say aid64 under 82 then cant 150i pro can do or not. I am worried that you point may be true or the ML bearing cant reach the 2000+ rpm when at full load. Its quiet profile can make the cooler not upto the mark.

It can. With the stock fans.

But if your problem is environmental, you'll be back here saying the same thing. You really need to understand the source of your problem. The H100i V2 is also capable of providing more than adequate cooling to an overclocked 8700K.

And your GPU may idle at 45C but its still generating heat. At 45C. At least.

And pushing 45C through your radiator will do ... can you guess? Heat up your coolant to 45C.

This is one of the things that makes the Commander Pro so awesome ... you have 4 thermistors to place wherever you want in the case and can control case fans based on them Guess where one of my thermistors is? The radiator intake. Another one is just over the GPU. And even with my GPU idling at 41C, it heats up the case internal temperature just above it to about 36C. Now, I have my exhaust fans configured to directly pull that GPU waste heat out before it ever gets to my radiator - my radiator intake temp is 30C. If I didn't, my radiator temp would easily be a good 6C higher than it is right now (31.3C). Do you see where this is going?

You cannot escape thermodynamics.

Now, I have my exhaust fans configured to directly pull that GPU waste heat out before it ever gets to my radiator - my radiator intake temp is 30C. If I didn't, my radiator temp would easily be a good 6C higher than it is right now (31.3C). Do you see where this is going?

Hey Dev - not to derail the thread unduly - but how do you get your GPU waste heat out before it hits the radiator? It's the one area I'm still scratching my head a bit with respect to my own setup. Any advice, as always, very much appreciated!

Hey Dev - not to derail the thread unduly - but how do you get your GPU waste heat out before it hits the radiator? It's the one area I'm still scratching my head a bit with respect to my own setup. Any advice, as always, very much appreciated!

First, I have a large case. That helps. It actually has room for 3x 140 radiator at the top.

Second, I have both a rear and a top rear exhaust. These are set to kick up as a temp sensor, located just above the GPU, increases in temperature. These fans are primarily responsible for exhausting the GPU heat.

Third, the radiator is mounted forward. It actually gets a channel of fresh air from the lower intakes that goes around the GPU.

It's something that I've played and experimented with quite a bit. Having the CoPro helps - I have a temp sensor (as mentioned) just above the GPU as well as on the radiator intake.

Archived