Corsair Community

750D and Hanging/Upside-Down GPUs?

chyobot

Hi everyone! First-time poster over here!

I'm expecting a PC to be delivered early next week and I've been trying to figure out how I might be able to squeeze in some extra GPU's. While my motherboard (MSI x399 Carbon Gaming Pro AC) supports 4 GPU's, I wanted to give each GPU some space between each other, since the 3 GPU's I have (I plan on getting one more down the line) are all dual-slot and high-end.

So my plan was to put 2 on PCI slot's 1 and 3. And to have the other 2 hanging upside-down from below the 5.25" rack so that either the fans or the PCB is facing the window (whichever is optimal). They'd be attached by a dual-slot modular bracket I found (http://www.mountainmods.com/pci-modular-io-bracket-brushed-alu-p-701.html ) and be placed with some distance between each other side-by-side.

My thinking is that the two intake fans from the bottom and the front will bring in fresh cool air and allow for air from the front to go through/between them, so the air can travel to the other GPU's and out through the exhaust fans on the rear and top of the case.

Is this too crazy of an idea? I'm using these GPU's for rendering, so I'm trying to avoid stacking them on top of each other (the 3 that I have are all open-air fan based-GPU's), as I'd imagine the thermals would get really high.

Thanks for reading! Hope I can find some insight, since I don't have the case/PC on me to make more accurate measurements.

Forgive the crude mock-up doodle I did.

pc_plan.thumb.jpg.c2f59f720d779d223ae743a98511c3f1.jpg

• Corsair Employee

This is pretty crazy haha two cards hanging from the ODD bay. I really feel like you are better of using an open bench for any air restriction problem. But this plan might actually work with the right airflow configuration. I've never seen a set up like this before, so it'd be interesting to see the outcome.

Looking at your mock up, I think you have the right idea having two fans in the front as intake and another 2 on the bottom as intake as well. Top and rear fan being exhaust to remove hot air in the case. One thing that I would suspect that will give issue is the fact that the 2 GPU in the front as going to block the airflow to reach the 2 cards installed on the board. I guess the best way to find out is to try this elaborate set up and see what temps look like on the GPUs especially when they are under heavy load. Good luck and have fun

Thanks for reply, Greybeard!

Yeah, I'm considering re-purposing a short night stand and placing the GPU's in a drawer with some cutouts to allow for ventilation and cable access. What I really wish someone would make is something similar to the HDD cage that comes with the case, but for GPU's. Where the GPU's can be inserted in like a magazine or a blade!

But yeah, going back to the orignal idea I wrote about..one concern I had was if the GPU's are hanging upside-down if there would be any wobble if the case moves. The only thing that would be securing the GPU would be the bracket that it's mounted to.

Any ideas on if I might need to secure it with something else or if that would be enough?

Archived