Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9DHX One Stick Showing Up Incorrectly

JjcampNR

If anyone can offer some insight I'd be extremely appreciative, I'm at a bit of a loss right now and could use the advice of a memory expert.

I purchased two packs of TW3X4G1333C9DHX memory (total 8GB) and ran Memtest86+ on all 4 sticks. In Memtest it shows them running at 1066 instead of 1333 and threw a number of errors over a few passes - some were in the first pass, others appeared in later passes.

When I tested one stick at a time (all in the same motherboard slot), no errors were generated however, ONE stick of memory was detected at 1066 while the other THREE (including the matching stick from the same package) showed up correctly at 1333/9-9-9-24. I need to find out why one stick out of 4 is showing up at a slower speed than it's marked as, dragging the others down and causing memory errors, and why it won't get detected at the correct speed automatically while the other 3 show up correctly.

I will be running some memory intensive applications (heavy use of virtualization) so I need to ensure my memory is 100% functional and working properly before I can use my system (I have no OS installed right now and won't do this until my hardware is tested and functional). I can try setting the speed manually, but I'm a bit concerned why only one stick out of 4 isn't showing up properly using the auto setting in the BIOS - including why the other stick in the same matched pair works fine and this one doesn't.

Anyone have some thoughts? Does the pair with the incorrectly detected stick need to go back?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Download CPU-z from

Then let's do some diagnostics. Shut the system down and insert a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Post the CPU-z CPU/Memory and SPD tab. Shut the system down and remove the first stick. Repeat for all four sticks.

I can't - as noted I don't currently have an OS installed. I'll try and find a pre-install environment boot CD and run this, but here's the info from my BIOS and Memtest.

Pair 1 Stick 1: RAM 666MHz (DDR1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / FSB 333MHz

Pair 1 Stick 2: RAM 666MHz (DDR1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / FSB 333MHz

Pair 2 Stick 1: RAM 533MHz (DDR1066) / CAS 7-7-7-20 / FSB 333MHz

Pair 2 Stick 2: RAM 666MHz (DDR1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / FSB 333MHz

When my machine boots, 3 sticks show up at POST and in the BIOS with correctly detected and expected timings, while Pair 2 Stick 1 shows up incorrectly with the timings above and as DDR 1066. I'll try and get CPU-Z for you if you still think it's necessary, but it would involve me installing an OS or finding a WinPE CD somewhere.

Thanks for the quick reply - if you're still around I'll be here waiting to carry out your next suggestion.

EDIT: I found a boot CD containing the latest version of CPU-Z, I'll try getting info from that for you.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the boot CD to work, so getting CPU-Z output for you may not happen. I think what I've provided should be enough to troubleshoot or determine that stick is no good. Also, I tried putting Pair 2 in and forcing the timings to 9-9-9-24 (and setting the V appropriately, etc) and Memtest errors out when I do this, something seems to be no good with that stick.

RAM GUY - any additional thoughts/advice or should I RMA this pair?

I have another question for you - is there any difference between these two kits:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145198

On ZipZoomFly it's listed as PC310600 and on Newegg they list it as PC310666, yet the Corsair part numbers are exactly the same.

I tried setting the speed manually but then that one bad stick would fail Memtest, I've setup an RMA.

NP Please let us know how you make out!

Well, I spoke too soon apparently. So here's what I know so far....

Pair 1 - Both sticks are detected correctly (speed and timing) when inserted individually or in a pair. Each stick is OK after multiple passes in Memtest. If I put them in as a pair, they're still detected correctly however they fail Memtest on the first pass.

Pair 2 - One stick is detected correctly and one is not. Each stick passes Memtest correctly at the speed and timings the BIOS detects it at (so one is OK at DDR13333 and the other is OK at DDR10600). If I put them in as a pair, they fail Memtest and the speed/timings are dropped to DDR10600 which isn't correct for this memory.

I'm going to try manually settting the BIOS again using this info:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68826

If this isn't correct, can someone let me know what I should be using (see my user info for my system specs)? I'm at a total loss what's going on right now, it seems that 3 sticks are OK, one is having issues getting detected correctly, and when using them in pairs something is wrong. I'm holding off on the RMA until I get to the root of this issue. I'm on the latest BIOS for my board so I don't know what else to look at if the manual settings don't work.

I assume this memory should be fine in an Asus P5E3 Premium WiFi/AP @n board correct?

Help me....please....before I lose my sanity....

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee
When you install all four modules the memory frequency should be set to DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.9 Volts and if there is a setting for the NB/MCH Voltage set to +.05 Volts and set the tested timings manually and then test with http://www.memtest.org. But test that set with the odd module at their rated speed and settings set manually first to make sure its not failing.

I'm also looking into the possibility Memtest86+ may have a bug with either my CPU or maybe the X48 chipset. I'm currently running Memtest86 on the set that has both sticks detected correctly when inserted individually. I'm going to set BIOS specs manually once this finishes.

Any idea why only one stick out of four would show up incorrectly when inserted by itself? Why is the speed with all 4 inserted reduced to 10600? I'm at a loss as to what's going on with my setup right now. I'm also going to contact Asus and see if they have a new BIOS that I can get or if they're aware of any issues with this memory.

EDIT: Well, something is just not quite right here. Using Pair1 (detected correctly, each stick passes individually OK, but Memtest86+ fails when run on the pair together) I ran Memtest86+ (v2.01) and received errors, as I've posted about already. Frustrated, I also ran Memtest86 (v3.4 - leaving BIOS on auto) over a number of passes without a single error. So, the question is, WTF is going on here?!?!?! Of course, Memtest86 shows my CPU as a P3 @ 2.66GHz, L2 cache as unknown, and the rest of my system specs aren't shown or correct - while Memtest86+ shows everything correctly but throws errors on my RAM.

RAM GUY - I beg you, what on earth is going on here, share you wisdom with me!

Download memtest from--->
and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Please use this version of Memtest. You are using an old version of a different product and one which is known to return errors incorrectly. Also, enter your BIOS and set "Legacy USB" to disabled".

AI Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual.

CPU Ratio Setting = 8

FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333

DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333

DRAM Command Rate = 2N

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

CAS# Latency = 9

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9

RAS# PRE Time = 9

RAS# ACT Time = 24

All Else to Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled

Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU PLL Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

DRAM Voltage = 1.6v

NB Voltage = Auto

SB Voltage = Auto

Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto

Load Line Calibration = Auto

CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

NB GTL Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled

Legacy USB = Disabled

Test with two sticks, inserted in the first and third slots.

Your link goes to Memtest86+ v2.01 - which is the product throwing errors, while Memtest v3.4 (older, which is why I didn't use it originally) does not. I'll double check Legacy USB support as you suggested, but I believe it's already disabled. I'll also set the memory manually and report back in a few minutes. I'm also still trying to get the boot CD working with CPU-Z for you, I'm just not having much luck.

If Memtest 2.01 is throwing errors, then that is the one to use. Do not use the 3.4 because even if it is not throwing errors, does not mean you are error free. Your system should not have issues with V2.01. I have worked with that DRAM and that board and Memtest worked correctly.

You may have a board issue, which is why I would like to see a CPU-z of those sticks and on another board would be best. You don't want to RMA the DRAM only to find that the board is the issue and you do not want to RMA the board only to find the DRAM is the issue. Test with a single stick in slot 1 (closest to the CPU) with the settings I have given you. If you pass with Memtest 2.01 with that one stick, then move that stick to slot 2 and retest. Repeat this process on slot 3 and 4. This isolates the one stick and the four slots from being the issue. Then test stick 2, 3 and 4 in slot one independently. If one stick does not work, and all other sticks work, then you indeed do have a bad stick and need to RMA the two.

OK, I like to do things one step at a time so see the outcome of each action. I've changed the Legacy USB Support setting in my BIOS from "Auto" to "Disabled" and I'm now running Memtest86+ v2.01 on Pair 1 in slots 1 and 3. Pair 1 is the pair that both sticks show up with the correct speed/timings but threw an error when tested as a pair before (but both passed v2.01 without errors individually).

The first pass has completed without error, which is further than I've been able to get with a pair so far (I'm letting at least one more pass run before I give it the thumbs up). Why on earth would Legacy USB support cause my memory to error out? Are these real errors or false positives? Can I enable Legacy USB without memory problems once I'm done testing (will it cause actual memory problems in my applications or is this something low level that won't cause problems once an OS is up and running)?

I've also (finally) been able to get the ISO to build for my Windows boot CD containing CPU-Z, so once Memtes86+ finishes I'll run that and see if I can find a way to save the images for you. I don't have another DDR3 motherboard available, so unfortunately there's no way I can do that part for you. It seems like I have at least one good pair of memory, and I'm going to re-test the other pair tonight or tomorrow before I process it through RMA if that's still necessary. Honestly I would have been absolutely shocked if I had two bad pairs - especially from Corsair, who is the only company I buy my RAM from because I value their high quality standards.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm an IT consultant with years of experience however my knowledge of RAM typically ends with picking the right sticks and ensuring it's working properly. I deal more with infrastructure than hardware level testing/tweaking.

Archived