Corsair Community

I grounded my HDD and sparks flew =) HX750

0razor1

I was disassembling the computer and my hard drive touched the floor. Spark. Boom. Small smoke. Slight smell.

The motherboard still had its ambient LED glowing when I power cycled the PSU. And then a moment later, BOOM (louder) and more smoke!

Now this is an HX750 gold that I was given as a replacement via a special case circumstances and was told it won't carry warranty (not that my original unit had much left on it) but has been used a total of maybe 700-800 hours.

I don't mind it, since clearly I blew something, but is salvaging the PSU an option? I picked up an RM1000i and wonder if I should dive into the PSU with an electronics fanatic of a friend who's dying to rip open my unit. To satisfy my curiosity, what would one look for/ what are the usual suspects?

Edit: I haven't tried turning on the computer as yet with the new PSU. I am currently going through all of my HDDs and SSDs externally with a USB SATA reader. Anything I should watch out for?

Try the paper clip test with a fan to see if the PSU is still working

if so then you can test the motherboard and see if it still POSTs

there are also low cost PSU testers that can check all the voltages to see if the PSU is working

Archived