Corsair Community

Would these cables work with my HX1000i?

WebMaximus

I checked the cable compatibility chart but I'm a bit confused since it indicates my HX1000i PSU uses a mix of Type 4 and Type 3 cables.

I found a cable kit that would suite my taste and needs but I want to make sure it will work with my PSU since the product description says the cables are Type 4 (Gen 3).

This is the cable kit I've been checking out ->

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/262630-Corsair-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cable-Pro-Kit-Bla

Been trying to find the correct cables in stock somewhere here in Sweden but doesn't seem to be that easy to say the least.

Why so many different cable types/generations?

And what would happen if I used for instance the cable kit linked above with my H1000i

or this one...

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/262631-Corsair-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cable-Pro-Kit-SvartBla

...which is actually in stock in a nearby store - would my HX1000i or some of my other PC components break?

Or would I rather have a problem fitting the cables into the PSU?

What exactly is the difference between this myriad or different kind of cables?

Not a very customer friendly approach IMO when you want your customers to spend extra money on separate cables when they already bought a PSU. And not the cheapest one either in my case when I got the HX1000i.

Feels a bit so-so to be honest having to shop for extra cables when you buy a PSU in this price range since the cables that come with the PSU is everything but easy to work with and certainly don't match a PSU in this price range IMO.

Why so many different cable types/generations?

Currently there is no standard for modular PSU cables, as such you will find that modular cables from manufacturer to manufacture dont match. Even product line to product line from the same company may have different cables. Reason for this is that not all PSUs are created equally, some have inline caps and chokes to give better ripple reduction. Many of the PSU lines that corsair produces have been around way before custom cables were a mainstream thing and modular cables were still in their infancy. Corsair started manufacturing custom cables for all their Modular PSUs as upgrade option instead of customers creating their own essentially voiding their PSU's warranty.

And what would happen if I used for instance the cable kit linked above with my H1000i

or this one...

https://www.webhallen.com/se/product...o-Kit-SvartBla

...which is actually in stock in a nearby store - would my HX1000i or some of my other PC components break?

Or would I rather have a problem fitting the cables into the PSU?

You will get away with that kit for your 8-pin EPS12V ,PCIe, and PATA/SATA as Type 4 and 3 are compatible with the HXi series. However Your PSU's ATX 24 pin will not be compatible with "Type 4 - 24-pin ATX" if you used a type 4 cable it maybe pinned differently but would still fit which could possibly brick your motherboard.

Not a very customer friendly approach IMO when you want your customers to spend extra money on separate cables when they already bought a PSU. And not the cheapest one either in my case when I got the HX1000i.

Feels a bit so-so to be honest having to shop for extra cables when you buy a PSU in this price range since the cables that come with the PSU is everything but easy to work with and certainly don't match a PSU in this price range IMO.

No it may not be very customer friendly and some people have difficulties find in the compatible cables due to being in other countries, but corsair does include every cable an average build will need. There really isnt any economical way to standardize all the current PSU lines, corsair and most other manufactures wont be doing it any time soon.

The stock cables are perfect for the price tier of this PSU, you would be hard pressed to find another great quality PSU from any other manufacture that has braided cables like the ones you are looking at in a custom kit. Even a same price tier PSU from EVGA comes with regular cables bundled into one braided sleeve which IMO are ugly compared to corsair's sleek flat cable design. With the flat cables you could do neat folds that would still look decent.

Got it and thanks for all info!

I eventually managed to get everything in place using the standard cables but in all honestly it was much like a nightmare trying to make it look good with these default cables.

I guess it might have been a bit easier in a larger case - I have the Obsidian 500D RGB SE. A very nice looking case with lots of nice features but next time I get a case I think I will go for a bigger one.

Archived