Corsair Community

Vengeance RGB Pro not showing in iCue when XMP is enabled?

Dajinn

SPD Write is enabled. RAM shows in iCancer fine when the RAM does not have XMP set in BIOS. I've tried to disable XMP and just let the BLCK and "target memory speed" setting do the trick (as it picks up the timings automatically) but that doesn't help either.

Any advice?

Mobo is X99 Deluxe II.

Come on man it's literally the last statement in my OP

Well, then your system specs are out of date. Most of us look there first. Keeping them up to date helps folks help you. It's a lot to ask for someone here on their own time to navigate back and forth simply because you forgot to update your system specs. Just a thought ...

Oh, and you didn't include the motherboard manufacturer. So you're making even more work for anyone that's spending their own time helping you because that important tidbit of information is left out.

As for your issue ... check the make sure that SPD Write is enabled when XMP is turned on.

• Corsair Employee

As DevBiker stated, check to make sure SPD is enabled when XMP is also enabled. The profile might switch some things off/on. XMP profiles are not created equally, and some may only make the most basic of changes. You can, at your own risk of course, manually enter the settings to get the rated speed, all the while keeping SPD write enabled.

Just be sure to take screenshots of your BIOS and the XMP memory settings, saving them to a USB drive, then either printing or loading them on another device, so you can refer to them while you make the adjustments. If you run into posting issues, you can always load defaults.

I've exactly the same hardware scenario (X99-DII/Vengeance RGB PRO).

Enabling SPD_WRITE with XMP disabled allows iCue to see, configure and sync the Vengeance RGB. Obviously, as you're painfully aware, it looks like XMP breaks communication with the RAM if it's configured as per Intel specs (DIMMs installed in A1/B1/C1/D1 when using x4).

Installing the RAM in A1/A2/B1/B2 works in iCue with XMP enabled although this isn't an Intel-endorsed config and I suspect memory operation will only be dual-channel mode, so it's swings-and-roundabouts and what you gain with XMP you lose on reduced bandwidth. It would be interesting to see what happens with an 8x DIMM setup.

I've not tried DIMMs in C1/C2/D1/D2, I've got more pressing things to do such as currently saving Stalburg from nuclear meltdown (unless Corsair wish to send me freebies or pay me for doing their compatibility/QA testing).

One important thing, in case there's a Corsair employee reading this, Windows 10 gives the "hardware connected" sound when the Vengeance driver is applied during iCue installation, and if XMP is enabled at this time Windows gives the "hardware disconnected" sound shortly afterwards. So aside from issues relating to the need for SPD_WRITE, this potentially looks like a Corsair driver issue as it sort-of works with XMP enabled but only if the DIMMs are in an unsupported configuration.

If this is an insurmountable hardware issue then Corsair should make it clear to potential buyers that RGB functionality will be limited on the X99 platform. I suspect it isn't though as I've also used Vengeance LED and Vengeance RGB DIMMs with XMP enabled, configured without any problem detecting or syncing using Corsair Link.

One important thing, in case there's a Corsair employee reading this, Windows 10 gives the "hardware connected" sound when the Vengeance driver is applied during iCue installation, and if XMP is enabled at this time Windows gives the "hardware disconnected" sound shortly afterwards. So aside from issues relating to the need for SPD_WRITE, this potentially looks like a Corsair driver issue as it sort-of works with XMP enabled but only if the DIMMs are in an unsupported configuration.

Yes I experience this EXACT same thing.

Honestly it looks like we are SOL. Very sad and disappointing. I may just have to return and get GSkill Trident Z or something.

Not as fancy but at least I can more likely control the damn ram. I honestly don't want to give up quad channel; it has pretty good performance gains over dual.

Enabling SPD_WRITE with XMP disabled allows iCue to see, configure and sync the Vengeance RGB. Obviously, as you're painfully aware, it looks like XMP breaks communication with the RAM if it's configured as per Intel specs (DIMMs installed in A1/B1/C1/D1 when using x4).

Installing the RAM in A1/A2/B1/B2 works in iCue with XMP enabled although this isn't an Intel-endorsed config and I suspect memory operation will only be dual-channel mode, so it's swings-and-roundabouts and what you gain with XMP you lose on reduced bandwidth. It would be interesting to see what happens with an 8x DIMM setup.

I've not tried DIMMs in C1/C2/D1/D2, I've got more pressing things to do such as currently saving Stalburg from nuclear meltdown (unless Corsair wish to send me freebies or pay me for doing their compatibility/QA testing).

If this is an insurmountable hardware issue then Corsair should make it clear to potential buyers that RGB functionality will be limited on the X99 platform. I suspect it isn't though as I've also used Vengeance LED and Vengeance RGB DIMMs with XMP enabled, configured without any problem detecting or syncing using Corsair Link.

Can a Corsair employee comment on this? Can they fix their drivers?

Edited by Dajinn

• Corsair Employee

Hello Dajinn,

Sorry to hear about the issue. Unfortunately our Vengeance RGB Pro memory isn't supported on the X99 platform as it isn't listed under the compatibility list on Vengeance RGB Pro kit product pages.

I'm not sure what causes it, but I have seen it before, specifically on the X99 platform, where having BLCK at anything other than 100 can cause detection issues. Some X99 boards require being on a BETA bios to detect at all.

Unfortunately with it not being a supported platform, I can't guarantee anything but I will pass it along.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW16GX4M2A2666C16

Hey Corsair Rick... You might want to update your website.. On the left side of the memory page, when you click the X99 check box in the "Compatibility" section, it still shows Vengeance PRO RGB as compatible. And it's not.

I wish I had found this thread before ordering my RAM. I never would have bothered with it... Now I have to send it back to Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was doing some reading and found an alternate 'trick', one thing you could try on your setup is to set the BCLK and Strap both back to 100 and then set the target DRAM Frequency to DDR4 3200. The reading I came across had some weird suggestion that 3000 works better with 125 whereas 3200 actually works better with 100. Not sure why but this works for me, I simply cannot boot with 3000 mhz ram at anything besides 125 strap but 100 strap + 3200 mhz works fine. I did increase my DRAM voltage to 1.38 or 1.39 I believe, and upped my system agent voltage a bit as I got a BSOD shortly after booting into windows, but now it appears stable.

An alternate to this alternate might be returning the 3000 mhz ram and getting 3200 mhz and seeing if the XMP profile applies 100 bclk/strap natively. I'm already outside the return window for my RAM and do not feel like reselling at this point just to waste more time.

Saves me from having to 'upgrade' to X299.

Hope this helps.

• 10 months later...
I have the R5E10 board and have a similar config with the Corsair RGB pro ram with ICUE behaving the same. I also tried to back level firmware on the system board down to 1903 and 1902 and still had the same issue. I like the ram, it works great (other than ICUE support while OC). However If I need to change the color profile I just have to turn off my overclock, reboot, change the color palette, reboot, reset my OC profile and back in business again. Its a lot but, it is, what it is.

I have the R5E10 board and have a similar config with the Corsair RGB pro ram with ICUE behaving the same. I also tried to back level firmware on the system board down to 1903 and 1902 and still had the same issue. I like the ram, it works great (other than ICUE support while OC). However If I need to change the color profile I just have to turn off my overclock, reboot, change the color palette, reboot, reset my OC profile and back in business again. Its a lot but, it is, what it is.

You've got an X99 motherboard. Those were the first with DDR4 and they came with the usual initial stumbling blocks. No RGB RAM back then and there are physical limitations. I never wanted RGB RAM for mine. You MUST enable SPD-Write on X99 boards (Extreme Tweaker -> DRAM Timing section). It still is quirky for some people.

DRAM SPD Write is enabled, doubled checked that multiple times. When you set XMP to disabled, it shows up in ICUE, reboot, set XMP to enable Profile (go and check to make sure DRAM SPD Write is still enabled), boot back and ram missing in ICUE. Its possible that somewhere in the firmware that enabling XMP profile by default it is disabling DRAM SPD Write even though it still shows enabled. Could be a bug some where. Oh well!! on to the next project.

That’s very odd. If it is a bug, it has to be on the BIOS end. iCUE doesn’t care what frequency you run or if it comes from a preset or not. On the other hand, some motherboards have specific XMP tuning modes. When you select XMP, it acts like you are starting over. It may have effects on other settings.

I think I spent about 5 minutes on XMP vs years of manual clocking. You can go into the DRAM timings, figure which secondary/tertiary timings are programmed, then copy those to a manual setting. It’s not as bad as it sounds. I think my current Dominator kit only changes RAS to RAS Short/Long and the REF. No reason to be bound to the XMP.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is iGUE so gluttonous? I have a Strix B450-F motherboard, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600Mhz RAM,

Installed AURA SYNC latest version and iGUE latest version, as well as CORSAIR RGB MEMORY PLUGIN FOR ASUS AURA SYNC.

In general, there are no complaints about the work itself (except for paragraph 3 * below), everything was synchronized and you can control the backlight of the operative through the AURA SYNC software.

But there are a few questions:

1. Why is it necessary to keep iGUE running if control is via the motherboard software?

2. Why does iGUE eat so much in the background (4-6% always jumps when it is running and takes up almost 500mb of RAM), compared to the same AURA SYNC? At the same time, I have included a simple static single-color backlight, without any dynamic effects.

3* Also, when the system starts, even with iGUE turned on at startup, RAM backlighting does not always start, approximately every second or third time you have to open iGUE so that the backlight starts:mad:

• 2 weeks later...
DRAM SPD Write is enabled, doubled checked that multiple times. When you set XMP to disabled, it shows up in ICUE, reboot, set XMP to enable Profile (go and check to make sure DRAM SPD Write is still enabled), boot back and ram missing in ICUE. Its possible that somewhere in the firmware that enabling XMP profile by default it is disabling DRAM SPD Write even though it still shows enabled. Could be a bug some where. Oh well!! on to the next project.

Don't use XMP and set your RAM timings and voltage manually to what XMP would have done and then test. Worth a shot.

• 5 months later...
Sorry its been a while since I got back to this, so I tested with removing XMP and manually setting timings, same issue, will not display in ICUE. Only way for RGB Pro RAM to display in ICUE is to have no overclock settings on the RAM.

• 4 weeks later...