Corsair Community

Corsair H80i GT Problems

CART

Hello,

I have recently bought the new Cooling system from Corsair and received it yesterday. After I added it to my PC I started the PC and checked the temps right away, what worries me now is that the temps on idle are between 35 - 50° C which, I think, is way too high (?).

Here is a screenshot of CoreTemp:

http://abload.de/img/unbenanntq6a0h.png

The temps reach 50° C after a few hours, screenshot was taken today when I first started the PC.

So, I thought, before I do anything I will download, as suggested, the Corsair LINK software where I see that:

http://abload.de/img/unbenannt2xvzf7.png

After some goolging I found out that the problems happens alot and it means the software doesnt recognize the Cooler but I can change the LED colour which makes me wonder..

Now to my setup; as you might alread have guessed from the second screenshot, I'm using a Alienware Aurora R4 system (have it since 3 years) which was the reason why I HAD to buy a new cooler because the standard cooler started to overheat, caused by the production error.

The processor is a Intel i7 3930k.

Here are some pictures of the cabling and setup:

Instead of the stock corsair fans, I'm using two Noctua NF-F12 fans where are both are on the back and front of the radiator.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 - Connection of the 2 fans

Another thing I noticed which I am not sure about is that the fans, which are blowing out of the case, don't really create any air when I put my hands infront of them, I don't feel any air coming out.. Could it be that the fans aren't compatible with the Cooler?

I'm kinda new to this whole "Build your pc" so don't expect too much from, hence why I bought a finished one..

Hope you guys can help me! Also sorry for my english, not my native language.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

If you previously had Corsair link installed, try completely uninstalling it and try the latest 3.1 version. I would also try connecting the fans on the cooler directly to the motherboard headers to see what happens.

Hi,

If you previously had Corsair link installed, try completely uninstalling it and try the latest 3.1 version. I would also try connecting the fans on the cooler directly to the motherboard headers to see what happens.

Hello,

it was my first time installing the software but I reinstalled it now and the problem still happens.

Regarding the fans, I don't really see any headers on the mother board where I could connect them. The only thing I tried was connecting one fan to the a header saying SYS FAN, it made the fan spin faster and create a higher airflow.

Also, I just played a game more than a hour and the temps were between 55 - 60° C

EDIT: What I forgot to add, when I installed the cooler I left the old Thermal paste on the CPU.. could this be the cause of the temp issues?

EDIT: What I forgot to add, when I installed the cooler I left the old Thermal paste on the CPU.. could this be the cause of the temp issues?

Yes. I would have cleaned it off and suggest you do so now.

BTW does my SIV (http://rh-software.com/) utility report your H80iGT correctly? It should, but I have not as yet tested it. You need to exit CL before running SIV and look at the Menu->Tools->Link Devices and Menu->Tools->Link Status panels.

Yes. I would have cleaned it off and suggest you do so now.

BTW does my SIV (http://rh-software.com/) utility report your H80iGT correctly? It should, but I have not as yet tested it. You need to exit CL before running SIV and look at the Menu->Tools->Link Devices and Menu->Tools->Link Status panels.

Hi,

under Link devices I get following message:

No Corsair Link Devices found on this system

There is no data available anymore (Error 259).

Couldn't find the Link Status panel.

Okay, after watching some Youtube videos i noticed that there is some sort of vibrating sound coming from the cooler. There are no wires or similiar touching it.

Here's a video where you can hear it. Gonna send a message to Retailer I purchased the cooler from.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueO4RB5ylBc]Video[/ame]

You likely have two separate problems to deal with here. 1) Your high idle temps are likely from poor block contact and/or a bad TIM application. 2) Getting the LINK program to work.

1) Your idle temperature is too high, even if the fans are off. This usually suggests poor contact between the copper plate on the H80 and CPU heatsink. The back plate on the new H80 looks to be more straightforward the prior notched version, so I will assume you got it on right and move on to the paste. It sounds like you didn't clean off the block before installing the new unit, which likely had more paste pre-applied to it. You need to clean it all off both sides and start over. Below is a fairly thorough guide to thermal interface materials and how to apply it. Part 2 has head to head comparisons, which reveal that there are no magic compounds, so rule #1 is pick something that is easy to work with and the rest doesn't matter much. Rule #2 is use just a tiny pea in the middle of the CPU. The TIM is an inferior heat conductor compared to the metal around it. It's only purpose is to fill the microscopic gaps between the two metal pieces. You want to thinnest layer possible. Less is better and most people over-estimate the size of the chip hiding underneath that metal heat spreader shield.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600.html

2) After that is sorted out, you can move onto the LINK problem. Unfortunately it's just a trial and error process. The motherboard and your OS seem to be the primary factors as to which version of the program works. Start with the most recent and work backwards. I don't know whether you are on Win 7 or 8, but Version 2.4 was usually successful with the Dell boards and Win 7. However, I don't know if the older versions of LINK will be compatible with the new GT series coolers. There are hundreds of posts with different things to try if rolling back the program version does work. I won't reiterate all of them here.

In the meantime, you can run well without the LINK program after addressing the TIM issue. As you already know, you must have the pump 3pin connector plugged into the CPU_FAN header. You will not be able to boot without it. It should run at maximum without tinkering and you can monitor it in Command Center. You will need a normal PWM 4-pin fan splitter (Noctua sells a nice short one for your short path). You can then run both fans from the splitter connected into the SYS_FAN header. You will have manual control over the fan speed in Command Center. It will no longer adjust its speed based on CPU temp or any other factors, however after several years of running H80's on an R1, I found I prefer my steady fan speeds anyway. Just set it up to a comfortable level when gaming and then back down to a minimal speed when on the desktop.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

Ive upgraded from a well performing h80i (2.5 years hard use the pipes started to split) to the newer h80igt

I used to get idle temps of around 36 degrees (perhaps 65 under load) but after a installing the GT i get idle temps of 58 and under a cpu load of just 60ish% i hit 80 degrees- corsair link says the pumps working and shows a pump temp of 40.5 (45 under 60%load) , so i removed the thermal paste and used some new higher end paste - made sure i had good back plate contact which has seemed to make some difference but nothing worth saying "its fixed"

any ideas?

also to note - i back mounted the rad and upside down (so the reservoir is at the bottom and very hot to touch)

Did you disable CPU_FAN control in the BIOS?

What is the pump speed? Post the CL4 [Home] screen.

1. not touched any settings in bios since switching out the old h80 - i can check its current status.

2. pumps almost at max

http://i65.tinypic.com/2luswnp.jpg

i took the side of my case off and the inside fan as the res felt so warm - the above pic is after 30 mins and some more heat has come down 8 degrees on idle and a few degree on the hgoigt pump temp. also the res is now cool to touch.

Archived