Corsair Community

Bad Performace of my X64 SSD

kamikaze_raid

Hello,

today i get my Corsair X64. First i installed Windows 7 x64 on it. After that i did all optimations for SSD (disable defrag, move temp-folders, disable windows search, move virtual ram) i did test the SSD. The results are very poor, here are some Screens. I hope you can give me some tips to fix that bad performance. SSD is running in AHCI modus with a free space about 20GB. SSD is attached to the first S-ATA Port. Mainboard is a Tyan S7025. Before installing windows i did use hdderase. Firmware on the ssd is "0.1 with TRIM". I dont know how to fix.... i think the performance is very poor.

http://www.abload.de/img/randomxcva.png

http://www.abload.de/img/speedgef0.png

Greets

When i compare my screen with a screen from another member here with same SSD then i recognize that my speed ist NOT ok. Just look at the 0.5 and 1.0 write speed and compare it to my! :(

@ 0.5 Write I have 4,3MB/s compared to the 21MB/s from the other screen. So i only have 20% of that performance!

Here is a screen from another Member:

attachment.php?attachmentid=6344&d=1262932166

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry you are frustrated but I have already answered this question.

If you feel you need more of an explanation please explain your question in more detail.

And please provide the complete system configuration of both systems that you are using for the comparison.

Ok like i said both systems in core are identically:

- X58 Chipset

- Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

- AHCI Mode

- Windows installed on the tested SSD

So tell me what points of Hardware can explain that massive differenz in 0.5 writeperformance? No questions there can be different results, but not in this levels. The systems are almost the same. But one System 21 MB/s @0.5 and almost same system (with more power) only 4 MB/s? What details do you wanna know, maybe we can with together the reason of this extreme bad performance.

Yeah, i did rerun the test, always the same poor 0.5 write result. On both systems the OS was a frsh install. No app did use the ssd until the test. Its not my first SSD, thats why iam created this thread here... now iam absolute out of ideas! :( I tried a fresh OS install from DVD and restopring a acronis Image. Always same results! :(

• Corsair Employee
Please attach the drive as a second HDD in the same system and then delete the partition and quick format the drive with 4096 Allocation for the format and then run the test as a second HDD in that system, please note you will need to have it backed up to another HDD if you do not want to reinstall.

• Corsair Employee
Your drive is performing with in spec. results may vary from drive to drive but the fact its 170MBs Write and almost 265MBps read suggests the drive is running fine. Replacing the drive may change some of the results for better or worse. I would keep what you have as its running above average.

Sure the performance auf big files ist in the specs but the 0.5 speed is inacceptable. I think you know that the most important performance of a ssd is the IO with small files (big files speed is unimportant).

If i look to a ATTO screen from my "old" HDD then this spinning drive is much faster than the X64. At least at the small files (normaly the strenght of a SSD)

http://www.abload.de/img/atto_hddlhtb.jpg

Sorry... but what you wrote is not correct. Small-File Speed should always massiv faster on a SSD compared to a HDD. And in my case the "old" spinning HDD is double as fast as the ssd in 0.5 write. Like i said i had many SSD, and the SSD was always faster than HDD (that is the only reason to buy a ssd). Every SSD i had was always faster than HDD, and now the, compared to a samsung ssd, expensive x64 from corsair is not. (And you told me the wrong fact that is ok)

Maybe its a Firmware bug or something, i dont know!

Both my X32 drives look like your X64. I put the poor apparent benchmark down to this: ATTO is measuring sequential throughput writing successive 512K blocks, and bypassing the Windows cache (direct I/O). A spinning HDD can write a 512K block in one I/O, because that's the smallest addressable unit. The SSD can't write a 512K block, because it is divided up into 4K blocks, so the firmware has to pretend to the operating system that it can do it. What it must actually do is to read the 4K block where the 512K we want to write lives, change the 512K segment, write back the modified 4K block (actually to a different 4K cell, because of wear levelling). It takes time. Notice how at the 4K block size it all suddenly goes quicker in the ATTO benchmark.

Of course, in real life, all this is irrelevant, because you will virtually never write data out in this fashion, and even if you did, the Windows cache would smooth it out dramatically. The fantastic thing about SSD is not really the sequential read/write speed, IMO, but the zero seek time for random reads. And, remember that with NTFS journalling, there's a lot more random writing than sequential writing going on all the time.

Archived