Corsair Community

P128 G2D latest firmware will not install in AHCI mode

Steele

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver Version 8.9.0.1023, Intel inf Installation utility v.9.1.1.1019_WHQL

always a clean install-partition wiped with zeros and partitioned and aligned using Terabyte-ready to format

No matter what I do, or, what version Intel drivers I use Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) will not load iaStor.sys (or it's native msahci for that matter). The only way I can get windows 7 to install is to configure the BIOS for Enhanced IDE; afterwhich I am able to install msahci, then Intel's AHCI drivers through a reg hack and a few reboots

Setup says in so many words the drivers are not compatable; to contact vender for newer release-these I use are Intel's latest, compatable for Windows 7 RTW. I have no problems whatsoever with WinXP (x64)

It just simply refuses to recognize AHCI mode during a fresh install on this SSD!

BIOS is the latest release and updates IMSM module.

There were no like concerns using WD VelociRaptors-in RAID0 or AHCI. Why is it that Win 7 will not load it's native msahci drivers during install BIOS set to AHCI mode?

Also, prefetch and so on are not disabled by WIN 7, and when I did that manually my WEI dropped from 6.9 to 5.9.

The drive is recognized in the BIOS and by the OS, in name anyways.

I get the following error when the self healing has run:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL

Date: 10/29/2009 9:49:30 AM

Event ID: 12

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: (1)

User: N/A

Computer: CR382141-A

Description:

The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-HAL" Guid="{63D1E632-95CC-4443-9312-AF927761D52A}" />

<EventID>12</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-10-29T13:49:30.131405400Z" />

<EventRecordID>5542</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="1308" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>CR382141-A</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="Count">1</Data>

<Data Name="FirstPage">15</Data>

<Data Name="LastPage">15</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

The root of this problem is _____; anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Hmmm - this could be related to a number of problems:

BIOS - try disabling Legacy USB

MEMORY - check memory settings are detected correctly and if not enter them manually

You could also try running Memtest just to be sure that there are no errors in any of the memory cells.

Event 12 points to a number of spurious problems any or none of which could be related to your symptoms, but try the above and see what happens :-)

Hmmm - this could be related to a number of problems:

BIOS - try disabling Legacy USB

I can't; there are no PS2 ports for my keyboard-I must use USB

MEMORY - check memory settings are detected correctly and if not enter them manually

They're perfect at post, but any software, such as WEI, that looks at CPU or Memory timings in Windows does not display either timing correctly-the overclock is very minor-3.12G to 3.24G to allow the Dominators to run at stock 1141 mhz; they're are no voltage mods etc. Further, only Windows 7 will not install in AHCI mode; XP-no problem

You could also try running Memtest just to be sure that there are no errors in any of the memory cells.

...no BSOD, no glitches of any kind, no data corruption, no lockups. The OS runs perfectly.

Event 12 points to a number of spurious problems any or none of which could be related to your symptoms, but try the above and see what happens :-)

I forgot to add this little tidbit which absolutely confuses me to no end:

I tried the RC when it became available for download-just to see....

Anyways, this same concern occured, but, here's the thing; if I attempted the "browse for drivers" action during "advanced install" (I keep all setup files, drivers etc. in folders on my VelociRaptor-extended partition, all 300G, D:) I got the same error. So, I would load the Intel INF install drivers, afterwhich, I went and tried to load the AHCI drivers again, just to try it again-you know; and the RC would at this time load them. The exact same thing occured with Windows Enterprise build 7600 (I loaded the trial up just to see how the RTM performed before Oct 22-couldn't wait!); all this occured using the VelociRaptors-I had two, and for a while ran them in RAID0, then, AHCI. This concern is specific only to the SSD, or P128. I have not tried any other manufacturer, so, cannot say whether this is peculiar to Corsair, or, to SSD's across the board

I think this is something to do with the way the firmware communicates with the BIOS.

Have you tried running in IDE mode as opposed to AHCI?

There is a registry change you can make once the OS is loaded and functioning to go back to AHCI if you really need it. This *might* work but if not we can dig a little deeper and see if we can find the root of this problem :-)

Just Modify the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start

Set the Value = 0

Reboot .. change BIOS to AHCI .. Save & Reboot ..

Make a note of the original value if you want to go back.

Have you tried running in IDE mode as opposed to AHCI?

IDE mode is how I must install

There is a registry change you can make once the OS is loaded and functioning to go back to AHCI if you really need it. This *might* work but if not we can dig a little deeper and see if we can find the root of this problem :-)

Just Modify the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start

Set the Value = 0

Reboot .. change BIOS to AHCI .. Save & Reboot ..

I actually install an inf that does this after first reboot via a cmd file (where I launch other post install goodies); as follows:

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

[Optional Components]

AHCI

[DefaultInstall]

AddReg =REGEntries.AddReg

DelReg =REGEntries.DelReg

[AHCI]

OptionDesc ="Registry Entries"

Tip ="Registry Entries"

Modes =0,1,2,3

AddReg =REGEntries.AddReg

DelReg =REGEntries.DelReg

[REGEntries.AddReg]

; change IDE state to AHCI in msahci

HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\msahci","Start",0x10001,00,00,00,00

HKLM,"SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\msahci","Start",0x10001,00,00,00,00

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci","Start",0x10001,00,00,00

[REGEntries.DelReg]

Make a note of the original value if you want to go back.

This installs the MS native driver, reboot, enter BIOS, change to ahci, exit/save, windows PNP's the driver, a final reboot, update the driver to the Intel Matrix x64 in device manager, reboot and Bob's your uncle. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Win 7 will not load the native msahci driver, if nothing else, during setup. Again, I believe this to be a firmware communication problem. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to purchase another SSD from another manufacturer to see if this is specific to Corsair/Samsung, or an ASUS BIOS thing.

There is a new bios version available HERE version 1403.

I'm not sure if that will address the issues here; you can but try it and see what happens. This update was released 22nd September.

Check my system specs in the drop down; I have this BIOS listed there, no worries though-many thanks for your effort to help; as they say two heads are better than one. This BIOS updates the IMSM option module. Just so you know, I ensure everything I have is always running the latest.

I have had that error before and switching the type of drive with the AHCI or RAID driver has resolved it. What is the source for your driver?

If that does not work, try installing the RAID version of the driver instead of the AHCI. AHCI is enabled in RAID mode also.

I have had that error before and switching the type of drive with the AHCI or RAID driver has resolved it. What is the source for your driver?

If that does not work, try installing the RAID version of the driver instead of the AHCI. AHCI is enabled in RAID mode also.

Sorry took so long to reply, but, been having some issues with WEI-all of a sudden my graphics index dropped from 7.8 to 6.0 (Sapphire 5870) after a fresh install and 8 fresh installs of every variety later is still sitting at 6.0-J***s

Anyways, my driver source is Intel's website using their latest published for this chipset; RAID did not solve it. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

On a side note, the self healing function really does work, just too bad the firmware only allows this after a cold boot and no activity for at least one hour; wish Samsung would come to the party.

I had the same issue. It's not related to the SSD directly. The SSD is fine. I ended up doing an install using the IDE setup then once the install is done, switch it in your registry and in your bios.

I haven't bought a second one to implement RAID yet, but, am concerned. If AHCI does not work OOB, then, one wonders if RAID will-something that cannot be changed after install.

• Corsair Employee
You may need to make a driver CD or Floppy with the IDE drive and use the F6 to install the correct driver when the Install first starts, but just setting it to IDE mode and installing the O.S and driver then change it after the install is done will work also

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may need to make a driver CD or Floppy with the IDE drive...

If you have them available, try a floppy or USB drive with the ACHI driver on it, and not in a folder.

BSOD bigtime; nope, unfortunately I am stuck doing it the hard way. I've never had any problems until Windows 7. I litterally spent 3 days with barely any sleep trying anything and everything with no success, so, I have run out of ideas. I am going to enjoy my PC now for a while; frag some games...ya' know :smile:

In your initial post you say: "always a clean install-partition wiped with zeros and partitioned and aligned using Terabyte-ready to format" I can tell you if you don't do a secure erase you won't get performance back and as for the Samsung "garbage collection" it takes alot of time to complete. To ensure like-new performance you should wipe the SSD by using HDD ERASE and if you're worried about the 'men in black' looking at info on you computer you may want to write zeros first BEFORE doing the HDD ERASE secure erase.

When you do the secure erase you reset the SSD to a virgin state without adding the extra read/writes it takes to format with 0's (full format). I.E. To format with 0s you actually decrease drive performance of the SSDs because you are reading and writing clusters over and over instead of just wiping the mapping of the drive. In other words, read/write = performance degradation, formatting = read/write therefore formatting = performance degradation. What you want to do is tell the drive to act like there's nothing there and just start read/writing like it's a new drive, that's what a secure erase basically does.

The only time you need to worry about alignment with Windows based machines is with a pre-Vista OS. You should just do a quick format when installing (after the secure erase), basically telling the drive that everything here is open and of the NTFS file system with mapping in place and the OS will worry about alignment and standard cluster sizes, etc....

Hope this made sense, I'm tired and not thinking too clearly...:bigeyes:

I can tell you if you don't do a secure erase

wiped with zeros is a secure erase

To ensure like-new performance you should wipe the SSD by using HDD ERASE

CopyWipe is better and also free, refer to the thread below:

I should have qualified this

CopyWipe is better
:

1) I did try HDDErase before posting this reply-HDDErase hangs and will not run after the initial GUI; there is documentation on passwords and drive hardware encryption, but, none of this applies except for the low level/firmware encryption and/or password protection all SSD manufactures probably protect there drives with-not something to fool with. (I know of no drive manufacturer that either recommends or allows low level formatting because it is the quickest way to brick a drive if you do not know what you are doing-include me in the latter majority)

2) CopyWipe is just plain compatable; I have never had any problem running it on any system I have built for myself and others, or OEM...DELL etc.; it also has the ability to use "hardware"/"secure erase"; it does all HDDErase does and more, with the one exception that it does not hang and do nothing-I had to force a reboot using the reset button on my case to get out of it.

3) The only coveat is you must enter the BIOS and change AHCI to IDE mode before running it; at least on anything I have worked with.

4) ...of course this is not everyone's experience, but, apparently there is no support for the app-referring to the documentation on the website-and I'm sure there are a thousand people for whom this program runs perfectly for every thousand where it doesn't; I am not one of them, so I consider CopyWipe to be better.

Like I say in this thread...check it out, the learning curve is well worth the effort.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81951

I partition before install with BootItNG to avoid the 100mb system partition and to have complete control over the drive letters, I use Terabyte exclusively.

I've found the Samsung G2D builtin garbage collection to work very well; it takes time after a fresh install, but, after that I've found it to be very efficient-performance gains are very noticeable. I only wish Samsung would come to the party and release that required to allow full user control over TRIM-mine and everyone's beef.

• Corsair Employee

I have said this before but just in case someone new is reading this and does not know how to search the forum:

Samsung is working on this and as soon as there is some solution for updating firmware remotely we will post it. But at this time the latest version of firmware on our drives is VBM18C1Q and has the Performance Recovery Feature enabled.

As far as Windows TRIM Support that is something that Microsoft is working on and so is everyone else in the industry according to a conversation I had with Microsoft this morning. It will eventually work out but it will take some time to get every one on the same page. Including Microsoft and Samsung!

Steel I have asked a third party to look at the free ware offered by Terabyte (Specifically the Copy Wipe software) and I am sure the person I asked will post here with what they find.

wiped with zeros is a secure erase

A full format wipes a drives with zeros and takes roughly 10minutes on a SSD.

When you perform a secure erase with HDD ERASE you wipe the mapping or pointers on the drive thus tricking the drive into believing it's never been written to before. A full format will sometimes skip bad clusters because the mapping said they were bad, but when you wipe the mapping the drive doesn't know what is bad or what is good it just operates in a virgin state. WHEN YOU FULL FORMAT A SSD YOU CREATE A SEQUENTIAL MAPPING AND THE DRIVE HAS TO WORK HARDER TO WRITE NEW SECTORS BECAUSE IT HAS TO PERFORM MORE READ WRITE OPERATIONS. My guess is you're doing these full formats and getting slightly better but not like-new benchmarks. The reason is simple, the mapping has not been brought to a virgin state. I will try to find an article I found previously explaining the difference in the two formatting methodologies. If you think I'm full of hot air then whatever, continue to do what you're doing but ask yourself "What will it hurt to give the guy with a BS in Computer Engineering from Purdue the benefit of the doubt?"

tI2ouI3LeSoIVIe

I create the partition, I do not format it.

RAM GUY

The thing with Terabyte is the learning curve and it is very nuts and bolts,; no fancy anything-it is, and will remain, a drive level utility; turns a lot off people off I guess, and, as they say "different strokes for different folks". Thanks to you and the third party for your time. ("no I don't work for Terabyte" LOL)

I have said this before but just in case someone new is reading this and does not know how to search the forum:

I said what I said just in passing, not to start another war. I know all concerned are workin' towards some kind of compatable accomodation; sorry about that...I will watch that in the future.

Now, back to the thread-I'm dubious about this OS's ability to create a stripe on two of these little darlin's; C****T I wish I could figure this out-I have spent one week of almost round the clock tests, trials, reconfiguration, back to back fresh installs using DISM to configure all from here (secure erases between each):

http://www.msfn.org/board/je-jins-dism-tool-version-1-0-t138804.html

(even took time off work)-absolutely nothing works and it is driving me up the wall. I have a support request in with ASUS, then I will go to M$. I still feel the BIOS and SSD are not communicating in Windows 7 properly-Windows 7 RC1, Windows 7 Enterprise (a little hassle, but, doable), XP, 2000 no problem.

The guy from Perdue (who also needs to list the actual part number of his memory in his profile) is correct AFAIK :)

/sidenote: Ever a part of ACM?

This perdue boy was only a member of the IEEE, it wasn't until the last year of my studies that Purdue actually declared Computer Engineering an official major. Up until the last year it was Electrical Engineering with an emphasis in computers. The crazy thing is that I now am a VP at a Verizon Wireless company where I never use my schooling.

Archived