Corsair Community

TR3X6G1333C9 Memory Errors in Memtest86+

pseckinger

Hello:

I have just completed a build using the parts shown in my PC specs.

I always check my new hard drives and memory before I install the OS for the first time. When I tried to check the memory with Memtest86 3.5, it just froze at 7%. Memtest86+ 2.11 ran fine, but found errors. First, I left all the settings on Auto, and then I changed the DRAM Frequency in BIOS manually to 1333MHz and left everything else on Auto. Also, I have the latest BIOS version, 0603. Memtest86+ and the BIOS show the 6GB of memory, and Memtest86+ also shows the correct timings as 9-9-9-24 when I set the DRAM Frequency manually in BIOS to 1333MHz. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but does a failure in Memtest86+ always mean the memory is bad? Also, I get more errors when I set the DRAM Frequency manually to 1333MHz. Please note that I haven't even installed the OS yet. Also, I have had no POST problems. Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Peter Seckinger

Hi guys,

Anyone has a reply to my question? I'd like to know what to do, whether I should just disregard Memtest86+'s results for now, install the OS and software and see what happens, or whether I should RMA the memory right away. Also, is it enough to just change the DRAM Frequency in BIOS in my motherboard to get all the right settings for my memory or should I do something else? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Peter Seckinger

Hi,

I have installed the Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 memory kit on my motherboard, using the following settings:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

BCLK Frequency: 133

PCIE Frequency: 100

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333MHz

DRAM CAS# Latency: 9 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 9 DRAM Clock

DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 24 DRAM Clock

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.25000

DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.50

I left everything else under AI Overclock Tuner on Auto.

Are these settings right for my memory? And, should I set Command Rate (called DRAM Timing Mode in the P6T BIOS) to 2T, or should I leave it on Auto (1T)? I don't plan to overclock anything on my system.

Thanks for letting me know.

Hi,

I have installed the Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 memory kit on my motherboard, using the following settings:

I left everything else under AI Overclock Tuner on Auto.

Are these settings right for my memory? And, should I set Command Rate (called DRAM Timing Mode in the P6T BIOS) to 2T, or should I leave it on Auto (1T)? I don't plan to overclock anything on my system.

Thanks for letting me know.

Hi,

I always get errors in memtest86+ 2.11, but at least until now the system POSTs without problems, the BIOS detects all the memory, and the OS and applications run without problems. Do errors in memtest86+ always mean the RAM is bad? I'm just curious, because I'm new to memory tweaking. By the way, I have always tested all three memory modules together and not one by one. Maybe this is why I get the errors. Also, memtest86 3.5 just freezes shortly after starting. Thank you for letting me know.

• Corsair Employee

Memtest tests the CPU, memory controller, and RAM modules; it will turn errror if anyone of them is faulty.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios for your MB and then load optimized defaults and enable XMP in the BIOS and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org in the same slot. Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module and let us know the results. If you get errors on all three modules, then that would suggest other problem.

Hi guys,

I have been trying some setting with my memory and today memtest86+ 2.11 for the first time ran a pass without errors, but then on the second pass I got one error, so maybe my problems are related to BIOS settings.

First, I left everything on Auto and memtest86+ showed errors right away on the first pass.

Then I set the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS to DDR3-1333MHz and left everything else on Auto, and memtest86+ again showed errors on the first pass.

Then I used the following settings:

Memtest86+ still found errors on the first pass.

Then I tried the same settings as above, but leaving the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage on Auto. Memtest86+ promptly showed errors.

Today I tried the following settings:

DRAM Timing Mode: 2N

I left everything else on Auto and for the first time memtest86+ showed no errors on the first pass but then showed one error on the second pass.

By the way, all these test were with USB Legacy Support turned off in BIOS.

Should I set the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.25000 again or try another thing? I think I'm close to solving my problems with memtest86+. Any suggestion would be welcome. Thanks!

Hi RAM GUY,

I tested my memory modules individually with memtest86+ 2.11. Two of them showed no errors after four passes, yet the third one failed right away. But I have a problem. I live in Caracas, Venezuela and if I have to ship the memory to Corsair to Fremont, California, I will have to pay about $60 and it's not worth it. Do you think Corsair would be willing to FedEx me a single memory module - not the whole 3-module pack - here to Venezuela, without me having to send them my modules? This way I'd save a lot of money and solve mi problem. If Corsair is unable to do this, I'll have to buy a new pack at newegg.com. Please let me know. Thanks!

OK, since I'm really in a hurry and probably you won't be able to send me only 1 memory module I have ordered a new set from newegg.com, but I have a last question: Can I just use one of the modules from the new set with the two good modules I already have, or do I have to use the new set together? Thanks for letting me know.

Hi RAM GUY,

This is what I had posted. I know you are busy, so no problem. Thanks again.

"I tested my memory modules individually with memtest86+ 2.11. Two of them showed no errors after four passes, yet the third one failed right away. But I have a problem. I live in Caracas, Venezuela and if I have to ship the memory to Corsair to Fremont, California, I will have to pay about $60 and it's not worth it. Do you think Corsair would be willing to FedEx me a single memory module - not the whole 3-module pack - here to Venezuela, without me having to send them my modules? This way I'd save a lot of money and solve mi problem. If Corsair is unable to do this, I'll have to buy a new pack at newegg.com. Please let me know. Thanks!"

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry about that, but we would have to replace the set, I would suggest calling or emailing our customer service about that and see if they can help you with that or ask the reseller to help you get them replace.

You can contact our customer service at 510-657-8747 Ext "3" or email them at RMAservice@corsairmemory.com but I would suggest getting the RMA number first so they do not ask you to call back again.

Archived