Corsair Community

Blue Screen of Death - Errors pointing to RAM

Prisonbreak94

Hi there,

I have been experiencing BSoD's for about 3-4 weeks now, I have been searching all over for answers but I haven't been able to solve my problem. Most leads I got so far are pointing towards RAM problems.

My bios DRAM frequency is set to ''Auto'' which i found to be 1100MHz (AtiTool says its 1100MHz atm)

Do I need to change my ram frequency? can the blue errors be because of this? I have the latest bios update, just FYI.

If you wish, I can post my Stop codes, as well.

Thanks,

Daniel.

• Corsair Employee
What are you running the memory and CPU Frequency at? With this MB the Memory frequency cannot be more than the CPU FSB: IE if you have an X8000 CPU with a 1333 FSB then the memory frequency will have to be set to DDR1333.

I'll check in a second but I'm quite sure that my CPU fsb frequency is 1333MHz, and my ram is on 1100MHz.

Both memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic tool passed like 5 passes without any errors I ran both of them previously.

I will download real temp and CPU-z and post screenshots and set the bios to the values you gave me.

Thanks,

Daniel

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Download Real Temp from-->

Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults. Set to these values:

[b]AI Overclock Tweaker[/b]

[indent][b]Configure Advanced CPU Settings[/b]

CPU Ratio Setting = 10
C1E Support = Enabled

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]

Ai OVerclocking Tuner = Manual
CPU Ratio Setting = 10
FSB Frequency = 333
PCIE Frequency = 100
FSB Strap to North Bridge = 333
DRAM Frequency =   1333
Dram CLK Skew on Channel A1 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel A2 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel B1 = Auto
Dram CLK Skew on Channel B2 = Auto
Dram TIming COntrol =   Manual 

[b]Primary Information[/b]

CAS# Latency = 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS #Delay = 9
DRAM RAS# Precharge =  9
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge = 24
RAS# to RAS# Delay = Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time = 52
Write Recovery Time = Auto
Read to Precharge Time = Auto

[b]Secondary Information[/b]

Read to Write Delay (S/D) = Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) =  Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) = Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) = Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) = Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) = Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) = Auto

[b]Third Information[/b]

WRITE to PRE delay = Auto
READ to PRE delay = Auto
PRE to PRE delay = Auto
ALL PRE to ACT delay = Auto
ALL PRE to RED Delay = Auto
DRAM Static Read Control =  Enabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control =  Disabled
DRAM Read Training =  Disabled
DRAM Write Training =  Disabled
MEM. OC Charger  = ENABLED
Ai Clock Twister=  Auto
Ai Transaction Booster= Auto

[b]Volages[/b]

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(0/2) = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference(1/3) = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.8v
NB Voltage = 1.28
NB GTL Reference = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage = Auto

Load-Line Calibration = [Disabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum = [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum = [Disabled]
CPU Clock Skew = Auto
NB Clock Skew = Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement = Optimized
[/indent]

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. Then, if stable, enter Windows and run CPU-z. Post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs. Finally post a screenshot of Real Temp.

As I am new to forums, I'm not really sure how to post screenshots... I just uploaded them as attachments...Sorry that I'm a bit of a newb:)

Please let me know if these current screenshots give you an insight of a problem that might be causing the blue screens. If so can you please give me some possible solutions.

I will also do the bios settings.

But just let me know how these look.

Thanks,

Danny

cpu.JPG.0ad7a9b7f53ed1556c75a1f60052bbe0.JPG

160095654_cpu-zmem.JPG.a6c5f4103603104b9fa25bdf7e0ec963.JPG

1588166630_cpu-zspd.JPG.326ad6a179e6088932a782b67a45ee64.JPG

realtemp.JPG.3bbaa46660f2f52ebcff8a0c0cda524a.JPG

BTW - Derek, I've already tried reinstalling OS, didnt solve anything.

I'll run memtest after I give Ram Guy the values he wants and after I set the values you gave me, but its late here in turkey so i'll leave the memtest overnight and post back my results tomorrow morning.

Thanks

PS: Ram Guy, hold on for CPU + memory bios settings

Btw, I didn't set these, they were set at the company that I got this machine built, i never modified them.

Here are some of the settings that I did not ever alter:

CPU Ratio Setting: Auto

C1E Support= Enabled

Max CPUID Value Limit = Disabled

Intel Virtualisation Technology = Enabled

CPU TM Function = Enabled

Execute Disable Bit = Enabled

Intel SpeedStep Tech = Enabled

All dram settings are set to auto...I don't know what the frequency for the ram is at auto but AtiTool says its currently 1100MHz,

I'll set the BIOS Settings that Derek has just suggested now, and run Memtest86 overnight and let you know the results.

Good night, see you tomorrow and thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers, Daniel

Hello again,

Memtest is clean, 5 passes, no errors.

2 more things...after setting up the BIOS info that Derek gave me, PC worked alright, but this morning, when I first tried to turn on the pc, it said overclock failed and told me to either change the BIOS settings or load to default.

So I chose change bios settings and did nothing and just left the bios. Now the pc works fine, but this might come up in the future again to bug me.

Another thing is, before windows begins loading, I always get black screen with Marvell something BIOS version bla bla... and it writes No hard disk detected! for a moment, then loads windows and all is fine.

Any ideas of what I can do next? Do you think setting the ram frequency at 1333MHz might have solved my problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

That can happen with an inelegant shutdown. There are no overclock settings that I gave you, just default system settings. When it does happen, you did exactly the right thing. If it continues to happen, then there is very likely something in the shutdown sequence that is giving an error and I would do a fresh install and then make an image of that install now that there are no more blue screens.

If you can make that issue repeat, then go to the run command and type in msconfig. Choose Diagnostic startup and see if you can make the issue repeat with this startup. If it doesn't occur, then go to msconfig and choose the startup tab. Uncheck the items one by one until the issue doesn't repeat. You can isolate the issue if it is either a resident or terminate and stay resident program.

Any ideas of what I can do next? Do you think setting the ram frequency at 1333MHz might have solved my problem?

Yes, you needed to drop the DRAM speed and raise the Northbridge voltage a bit when you populate with four DRAM slots.

Another thing is, before windows begins loading, I always get black screen with Marvell something BIOS version bla bla... and it writes No hard disk detected! for a moment, then loads windows and all is fine.

The "No Hard Disk Detected" is the onboard PATA bridge chip. You can enter your BIOS. Find the Onboard Devices Configuration Page and you will notice "Marvell IDE" and "Marvel IDE Boot ROM". Disable both. They are for the older PATA IDE drives and you must have none since there are no drives detected. This will also speed up your boot and there will be no wait for enumeration of PATA drives.

Wow, thanks RamGuy and Derek!

I think my problem is solved now, thank you very very much. One more thing though, derek. You know you gave me those bios settings, well the AI Overclock Tuner once I set that, my six engine software did not work after that.

Six Engine is a software that comes with my mobo i think, and its great because it puts my system in low setting to save more energy when im performing minimal tasks and puts it into high setting when I am playing games and so on.

After I put AI Overclock Tuner to manual as you instructed me to, this software was always on high setting and did not open so that I can change setting, it said ''Six Engine can not work with these overclock settings'' or something like that.

So I turned AI Overclock Tuner back to Auto again, and six engine works, saving me energy and money. Will having ai o/c tuner on auto make any difference?

Thanks,

Daniel

If you are stable then you have no worries. I do not like the software myself and yes, there will be issues if you try and run both since the software needs to make on the fly changes and the settings being manually set do not allow for this characteristic.

In the final analysis, if your system is stable, then you have no worry. I find that the software is problematic and leads to system instabilities.

To be certain, use the Intel Linpack CPU/Memory test.

http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Download Realtemp from Here

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

Are you sure I should use this?

Linpack by Intel® is an extremely stressful program that will

put even the most powerful X86/X64 CPU in the world at its knees. Load temp

under Linpack will be up to 22*C higher than the competing software Prime95.

This program will make usage of Linpack easier and more practical.

Keep in mind, use this program at your own risk. By using this program, you

agree that neither I nor Intel shall be responsible for including, but not

limited to: burned up CPU, fried motherboard, spontaneous room temperature

increase, hair loss, or mental stress.

I don't want to mess anything up...

I don't want to mess anything up...

bare in mind that it is the purpose of any stress program to create a lot of load on the cpu and ram, resulting in heat.

but its the only way to test for stability. I tried that program myself yesterday and realised i had to adjust certain things as the cpu reached 76 degrees :D:

that were realtemp comes in, you will need to watch it to make sure it doesnt get to hot. (keep in mind that with the settings Derek gave you, the change of getting the smoke out of components is very tiny)

and if you recon it becomes to hot (71 degrees or more, just terminate the programm!

Great. I'm running it right now its around 55-61 C.

Erm, one more thing though, I chose 5 passes for (1) Maximum stress, but it told me it could not continue because there was not enough memory. So I pressed (2) Half stress...why can't I do maximum stress? I have 4GB ram....

Archived