Corsair Community

H115i RGB Platinum Problems

ccojocea

Hello,

I've probably wasted the better time of my weekend trying to sort my new build and in the end the only thing that isn't working properly is the Corsair cooler from the title. I've followed a lot of the discussions on these forums about similar issues but unfortunately I couldn't resolve mine by using that information so I'm just going to make a new thread about it.

So, first of all, the cooler is not visible in Corsair Link 4. I've tried several versions of this software and it just won't show. The cooler shows up in device manager as USB Input Device under Human Interface Devices. The vendor ID being 1B1C and PID being 0C17. At one point it also showed as a device with an error (I think USB disconnected and failed to reconnect, and the LEDs on the cooler went completely nuts, rotating very fast) but that got fixed by uninstalling (however it reinstalled the same version as described previously).

I should note that the cooler shows up in iCue and I can control LEDs and the fans there but the options for that seem rather limited there and I was expecting more from LINK.

Thanks.

iCUE replaced Link nearly a year ago. It is the merger of Link (internal devices) and CUE (external devices). While certainly visually different, in terms of control and most certainly RGB lighting you will have fewer options with Link.

1) If you are running iCUE, Link isn’t going to do anything. iCUE is in control. Link only serves a handful of legacy devices. Your cooler should not show in Link at all in this scenario.

2) Even in the abscence of iCUE, I don’t know that the Platinum series will show in Link at all. That cooler came out long after the last Link version was posted. Or it did until a new Link version was released this week to address Windows security changes. I do not know if they updated Link with all other devices released in this past year. Link is at the end of its time and the rare security update is likely all there will be.

Thanks for that info, clears up quite a bit. I was confused about the updated version of link and thought it's still something that is used. First time I use Corsair's apps/drivers, I only had ram in the past from Corsair and never needed them.

So question, what about the pump, I can see I can only run it in either Quiet or Extreme modes in iCue, while the fans support some middle ground as well, that being balanced. Should I expect it to work good enough in Quiet mode?

This is for an i9-9900k running at stock on Gigabyte Aorus Master for now, I'm still debating whether I'll take it to 5GHz on all cores (I doubt higher's possible with this cooler with decent temps) so lets assume no OC for now (Though I'm already on my 3rd Windows reset since one of the GB drivers seems to block the CPU in some core boost sync at some point, removing any kind of single core boost to 5Ghz, and thus making OC required... and I've yet to determine which one). Windows reset seems to fix that though so I'm staying away from GB drivers while everything works fine for now.

All of the Corsair coolers are two speed fixed, except the three Pro coolers. Those have three fixed speeds. The quiet/balanced/extreme nomenclature came from the fans and it is probably easier to stick with it rather than use model specific names. It is definitely just a Low/Med./High scheme, but since different models have different pump speeds there is nothing obvious about it. We probably should have made a pump speed list by model ages ago. The Platinum coolers have a “low” speed of 2375-2400 and the high is up around 2900. That low is faster than the medium speed on my H115i Pro that I use and is all you will ever need. There will be no gains at the Extreme setting, regardless of what you do with the overclock. Pump speed is rarely the limiting factor on double or triple panel AIO coolers. Pump speed does not reduce the coolant even 1C in my GPU loop at 350W sustained 2000 vs 4000 rpm).

Not sure about the GA software since I don’t have any of their boards. However, I would watch out for the “master control” app that does fan speed and overclocking at the software level. Typically those override the BIOS settings. Ironically most people have the opposite problem with motherboard added tweaks that push all cores to the turbo single max while adding enough voltage to make sure it works. That typically gives you the 85C first time stress test that sends everyone running to internet looking for answers.

I gave up on their entire suite of Windows software (apart from some RGB app) after seeing how they go. The corsair cooler can be handled from iCue and I can deal with the other 2 fans from BIOS if I need, but I am still working on this and have yet to close the case and check normal operating temps.

I think the first 5.0 all core went up to 95 degrees in Prime95, but I managed a lower temp one with some different settings. I was expecting high temps though so I wasn't really too alarmed, but for what I usually need I'm fine with stock settings for games and such. At least until I change the video card to something that doesn't bottleneck :)

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Oh there is one more thing, not sure if I should make a different thread about it since it's a different issue, but I'll ask here for now and change if no answer.

In iCue, I sorted the LED scheme for cooler and vengeance memory, however I still need to keep RGB Fusion from Gigabyte to handle the LED strips which are connected directly to the motherboard as well as the built-in motherboard lights. The problem is RGB Fusion overrides iCue on startup and sets its own scheme to the RAM, no matter if I ever touched that side of the app or not. If I turn RGB Fusion off, then the other lights turn off. Any known solution to this?

It's a new version ... according to AppCenter, it's up to date. B18.0629.1. I just never set up the RAM.

That's very weird. I took the latest version straight from their website. B19.0116.1. It doesn't matter if you set the RAM or not in it, it will apply its default setting every single time, and iCue fails to override it.

I took a B18.1019.1 version which I found on some forum and it just simply fails to apply its settings to the RAM, I don't even know if it tries by default, but iCue is above it now, problem solved.. with a faulty app.. My hate for Gigabyte grows..

Archived