Corsair Community

Memory wont run at 1600

ahedgpe

I have a Gigabyte Z87mx-D3H mobo with Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz (2x4 dimms CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B). I have the latest bios and when I enable XMP Profile 1 (only option) the memory is timings are put at 9-9-9-24, 1600 which is the correct speed. The computer will load fine and game etc... The only issue I have is that from a cold boot as the computer is starting I notice the bios will flash twice like it is looping and then sometimes the computer will start and other times it will stay on a black screen. If I remove XMP in the bios and go back to 1333 for the timings the computer loads fine everytime from a cold boot. Nothing is overclocked in the bios and I ran Memtest overnight with no errors. I also increase memory voltage in increments from 1.5 - 1.6 with same issue. Any ideas why I cant get the memory to the default 9-9-9-24 1600 timings?

Yeah,thats weird. I was going to suggest bumping the voltage a bit, but i see you have already tried that. And since it failed to produce a stable setting lets try something else.

First, instead of using the XMP profile, just set the timings and speed manually and set the voltage to 1.55v. Sometimes the XMP profile will hang on some systems for what ever reason.

You might also try adding just a touch of vcore too. 1.17-1.20 should be enough. If it doesn't help any , reset to default values.(1.15v)

But see if that is any different and we'll go from there.

Yeah,thats weird. I was going to suggest bumping the voltage a bit, but i see you have already tried that. And since it failed to produce a stable setting lets try something else.

First, instead of using the XMP profile, just set the timings and speed manually and set the voltage to 1.55v. Sometimes the XMP profile will hang on some systems for what ever reason.

You might also try adding just a touch of vcore too. 1.17-1.20 should be enough. If it doesn't help any , reset to default values.(1.15v)

But see if that is any different and we'll go from there.

Thank you for that, I also did try without XMP but not bumping up the vcore at the same time. I will try that when I get home.

So I disabled XMP, left the timing at 1600 and bumped up the vcore to 1.2v even bumped up the memory voltage to 1.6 incrementally and same issue. I actually have somewhat of an update though. When I increase the timings to 1600, it is actually not changing them in the bios. Only when I switch on XMP do the settings change. Also, when I cold boot the pc, it almost seems like the bios is restarting and then takes up to 10 minutes to load windows 7. Not sure if that is the backup bios kicking in.

Update: I also went back to the previous bios version that I ran this stable on for a month or two (since I bought it), same issue.

Update: I also went back to the previous bios version that I ran this stable on for a month or two (since I bought it), same issue.

You didn't say that your machine was stable for a month. That's going to change things. I assumed this was a new build.

Since thats the case, i would go ahead and have the memory replaced. I'm not 100% positive that will cure your issue, but it will knock one more item off the troubleshooting list.

maybe you can check your CPU pins in the socket, there have been many cases of bent or dislodged pins that can cause memory errors. is your cooler heavy that maybe causes the cpu to sit uneven?

also try one stick at a time to see if it makes a difference. also try the latest bios if you have not already done so.

good luck!

I was using HWMonitor and my PSU is showing:

+3.3 V is 2.1 V

+5 V is 3.4 V

+12 V is 3.3 V

-12 V is -7.2 V

-5 V is -6.0

I went into the bios and it was showing this:

+3.3 V is 3.4 v

+5 V is 5.1 V

+12 V is 12.168 V

I am going to take it to a local store to have them test it properly as I know that software testing the PSU is not the most reliable!

test with a multimeter, the bios readings are as close to accurate as you can get without a meter.

if hwmonitor shows 12v+ as 3.3v the computer would not even boot.

try 1 stick at a time, if it holds the XMP and seems reliable and the 2nd stic wont then by all means submit an RMA.

just my .02 i think having the psu tested is a waste of your valuable time but process of elimination is the basis of diagnostics :)

test with a multimeter, the bios readings are as close to accurate as you can get without a meter.

if hwmonitor shows 12v+ as 3.3v the computer would not even boot.

try 1 stick at a time, if it holds the XMP and seems reliable and the 2nd stic wont then by all means submit an RMA.

just my .02 i think having the psu tested is a waste of your valuable time but process of elimination is the basis of diagnostics :)

I took it to the computer shop that is 5 min from my house and the PSU is indeed ok. I had the memory in the 2nd and 4th slots, so while we had it open I switched them to the 1st and 3rd slots with same issue. I will take your advise and test one at a time next. I know that no test is full proof but I would have thought that memtest would have caught some errors after 8 passes if it was the memory.

i reread your first post, if this happens at a cold boot the next thing i would check/replace is the cmos battery.

[edit] just realized its not an older board so the battery is likely good.

if it passes memtest then the issue may be in some other bios setting, google around for other rigs with the same board to see if any special voltage or other setting we might be missing. [/edit]

Maybe I need to clarify one thing by (cold boot)...When I turn the computer completely off and then use the power button to turn in back on, this is when I experience the issue. It doesn't matter if the computer was off for 1 min or a day, it will produce the same issue when the timings are at 1600 9-9-9-24. Works fine at 1333. I can be in Windows and reboot and it will reboot fine no matter what the settings, but if I am using the power button to turn the computer on with the 1600 timings, the bios seems to loop once and then Windows takes about 5-10 minutes to load and everything is extremely laggy.

is there a cmos reset jumper that may be either off or in the wrong position? i have not looked at your manual yet so i am just offering basic thoughts.

please run CPU-Z and post screenshotts of the cpu, mem and spd tabs please.

Currently the timings are off in the Memory tab, I was messing with them to see if it would load with looser timings. I am however wondering why on the SPD screen it is showing Max bandwidth of 667mhz when it should be 800!

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/8706/s7ub.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/7930/8y8e.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/7373/p83d.png

Currently the timings are off in the Memory tab, I was messing with them to see if it would load with looser timings. I am however wondering why on the SPD screen it is showing Max bandwidth of 667mhz when it should be 800!

Ignore that part . It's static and never changes . It shows the correct XMP profile and thats all that matters.

This is either going to memory or MB . Having said that I would replace the memory first and if it doesn't change anything then have the board swapped out.

cpu-z will show live updates, ive had speedstep on and i watched the speed (multiplier) go from 13 to 6 but i never saw the voltage change. maybe because i had it manually set?

you can try that, manually set the core voltage to say 1.250 - 1.280 and see if the issue still happens.

cpu-z will show live updates, ive had speedstep on and i watched the speed (multiplier) go from 13 to 6 but i never saw the voltage change. maybe because i had it manually set?

you can try that, manually set the core voltage to say 1.250 - 1.280 and see if the issue still happens.

Well, it appears to be the mobo as I tried two other dimms of the same memory and same issue. I will set the voltage manually and see what cpuz says.

is your core voltage really only 0.768v? should be 1.2-1.3v

if not then im leaning towards the MB or the bios. if its being reported that incorrectly something is wrong on the hardware or firmware level IMHO.

Yeah, that's speed step .Voltage drops really low when just idling. I know it looks odd and you would think thats off, but even with speed step enabled, 1600mhz should be a non issue. He shouldn't have to set the CPU to a static value to be stable.

ahedgpe posted:

Well, it appears to be the mobo as I tried two other dimms of the same memory and same issue. I will set the voltage manually and see what cpuz says

I certainly agree with that!

So out of sheer anger at my pc (:mad:) I went back into the bios upped my vcore to 1.225v, upped my dram voltage to 1.55v and upped the memory to 1600mhz manually. After saving and exiting the bios, the computer turned off and back on and it is now working. I am positive I have tried this before but the only difference is that the computer turned off this time and back on after saving the settings. Could that be the computer clearing the CMOS?

Also, I can turn the computer completely off for any period of time now and turn it back on and it will boot with the 1600mhz settings. CPUZ shows the DRAM Freq at 798.2 9-9-9-24.

Archived