Corsair Community

Frustration: AX860

d0m1nation

I am a bit frustrated..

A couple of weeks ago I bought a AX860, got home, plugged it in and was instantly presented with a high pitched noise.

I could not be in the same room with this unit plugged in so went straight back to my retailer where they tested it and confirmed the issue and and instantly replaced it.

Got home, plugged it in and exact same issue.

This time I tried to do a RMA ( #5575675 ) from corsair, figured you could send me a new unit that was tested for this kind of issue.

Got a copy paste email back where it stated I was to send my unit to you before I could receive my replacement. Not even a reply to any of my inquiries.

I was gutted, just bought a brand new computer and this was the last piece of the puzzle to get it up and running and now I have to wait weeks for a replacement of this "premium product" so I figured I'd go back to my retailer and see what they say.

I've read that the ax860i does not suffer from these noise issues so I asked if I could replace my non "i" AX860 with it.

No problem, I payed a couple of hundred extra swedish kronor (20euro) more and got to bring the ax860i with me home.

But when I got home I checked the box and noticed something I had not seen before.

That the fancurve on the ax860i is a lot "worse" than the non "i" ax860.

On the non "i" version the fan turns on at 60% load and on the "i" version it turns on at 20%?!

Is there some way I could replace the ax860i (not opened) with a non noisy ax860?

Also is it possible for me to have the ax860 sent to me before I send the ax860i back?

I dont care about the extra 20euro I payed for the "i" version I just want a quiet PSU

I just don't want to have to wait weeks before I can boot up my new rig.

Is there some way I could replace the ax860i (not opened) with a non noisy ax860?

Also is it possible for me to have the ax860 sent to me before I send the ax860i back?

I dont care about the extra 20euro I payed for the "i" version I just want a quiet PSU

Sorry , no, Corsair can't just change models like that. You would have to return it to the place of purchase and get a refund, then purchase the one you wantr.

When you RMA a product with Corsair you would recieve the exact same model in return. However, I would suggest you call CS on the toll free line using SKYPE and ask them about a advanced replacement. This way your down time will be much less.

That the fancurve on the ax860i is a lot "worse" than the non "i" ax860.

On the non "i" version the fan turns on at 60% load and on the "i" version it turns on at 20%

?!

It's not worse...it's all about efficiency. the I series is quite a bit more efficient than the standard series PSU and do not produce the same amount of heat at the same power output.

With that said it is not just load , but also temps that determine when the fans kick in and will be a combination of the two . So if your system only pulls a couple of hundred watts at full load you may never see the fan spin.

Sorry , no, Corsair can't just change models like that. You would have to return it to the place of purchase and get a refund, then purchase the one you wantr.

When you RMA a product with Corsair you would recieve the exact same model in return. However, I would suggest you call CS on the toll free line using SKYPE and ask them about a advanced replacement. This way your down time will be much less.

I just wanted to get my machine up and running and I didn't want to have to wait to get a unit with the exact same issue as the last. I read that the axi does not suffer from the coil whine issues so I figured I'd go with that one.

?!

It's not worse...it's all about efficiency. the I series is quite a bit more efficient than the standard series PSU and do not produce the same amount of heat at the same power output.

With that said it is not just load , but also temps that determine when the fans kick in and will be a combination of the two . So if your system only pulls a couple of hundred watts at full load you may never see the fan spin.

From the little I've read the ax and the axi is very similar in efficiency and sometimes even topped by the ax (LINK)

I don't get it, is the axi cooler but why does the ax have better fancurve?

Also, I've read a lot about the fan clicking noise on the axi. Is that something that is apparent on every unit?

Ok so I returned the AXI and got another AX860.

And it whine's exactly like the other two.

The re-seller told me to use it for two weeks and the whine should go away. Is there any truth in this?

Otherwise I'll just have to suck it up and do the advanced RMA.

Ok so I returned the AXI and got another AX860.

And it whine's exactly like the other two.

The re-seller told me to use it for two weeks and the whine should go away. Is there any truth in this?

Otherwise I'll just have to suck it up and do the advanced RMA.

My AX860 used to whine when I first got it, I cound even hear the noise with the computer off, after a few day of use the noise completely disapeared :biggrin:

There is hope, keep it for a few days and see if the noise goes away.

I am having the same issues, with a high pitch coil whine. Just got approved for an RMA, sadly, I am within my 30 days, but my retailer will not take care of it.

I went with the AX860 because its a Seasonic OEM, and uses a much better fan. I really hope the one that arrives does not have any coil whine.

I hadn't heard of it either, but a simple google search and you quickly understand that it's quite common. And it's not just the 860 (all Seasonic?), for example the 850 had similar issues as well.

I've been switching once every week now for three weeks. I don't have the patience to send it away and endure 2 weeks downtime just to get another one back.

I am quite amazed that Corsair cant just get my credit card info, send me a new non noisy unit and then have me send it back.

Also, I could get one from another retailer but I am really happy with my retailer and it's good to have everything in one place and from what I've read, the origin does not seem to matter. I would also suspect all PSU's from corsair comes from a single distributor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I would also suspect all PSU's from corsair comes from a single distributor.

If you mean OEM, no, each model can come from different OEM at any given time.

If this is your 2nd or 3rd replacement and coil whine is present, it is possible that there could be another reason why the noise is still present, Have you looked into this, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166?

If this is your 2nd or 3rd replacement and coli whine is present, it is possible that there could be another reason why the noise is still present, Have you looked into this, http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166?

All PSU's have been tried and tested at my retailer and the noise starts just by plugging it in and turning on the power on the PSU (not powering up the system).

We checked the last two and they are from the same batch, I'm on my 4th replacement now..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived