Corsair Community

New PSU problem!

Mick Trickey

I just recently installed a new CX550M PSU in my new desktop and every now and again I hear weird fan noises. Almost like rubbing on something or bearing failure and if I tap on the back of the unit it stops making the noises for awhile. Time for RMA already? Only a week old! Any ideas or info? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
It's not a Chimera case sorry I was confused it's just a Ibuypower Slate case with two tempered glass sides and a bottom mount PSU setup. Yep it is upside down thats only way the bracket will line up but it does have a vent with dust cover lined up with the fan. I added some pads to the case feet to raise it up a bit for airflow. I didn't really think about it having a sleeved bearing and being upside allows shaft to slide maybe causing noise??? Is it the upside down mount that could cause my issue?

I noticed that the bracket could be flipped around but the fan would be blowing up into the shroud there is only a small gap. Wouldn't that cause temp issues or lifespan shortened? I noticed lately it seems like it has not happened in about a week. Weird! I am worried about the fan failing and cause serious issues while under heavy load. Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

The fan sucks in. It doesn't blow out.

But if there's a shroud and not much airflow for the PSU to suck air in, it might not be an ideal solution.

Can you define "small gap"? How small is the gap between the PSU and the top of the shroud?

I don't know what I was thinking cause I had a top mounted psu before and I knew was pulling air from case. Anyway the gap is about 1\4 to 1\2 inch which I don't think is good. I bought the Corsair CX550M psu for $60 so I know it is not really high end and it has worked fine just a little noise every now and again. I guess I will just see what happens! Thanks again for your help and time! I am getting 60mph winds right now from the Hurricane so I can't really hear it now!!! Lol!

I don't know what I was thinking cause I had a top mounted psu before and I knew was pulling air from case. Anyway the gap is about 1\4 to 1\2 inch which I don't think is good. I bought the Corsair CX550M psu for $60 so I know it is not really high end and it has worked fine just a little noise every now and again. I guess I will just see what happens! Thanks again for your help and time! I am getting 60mph winds right now from the Hurricane so I can't really hear it now!!! Lol!

Oh come on! Your in Savanna? I am in Orlando and strangely still have power (at the moment). We are getting whacked pretty good right now. Comin your way. Good luck with the PSU and stay safe!!:D:

Archived