Corsair Community

Possible faulty / fake flash voyager 128 GB

lexx007

I have just purchased a corsair 128gb flash voyager and it arrived today. I imediatly opend the packet and tried it out. It was formated with exfat and as I use larger files I decided to transfer it to ntfs. It refuses to format in ntfs and then Itried check flash to terst it. Program simply said it is faulty and will not continue. Tried other format methods with no avail set it back to exfat and it seems to work. However its copy speed it 1mb sec so I have yet to see if the drive can reach full capacity. The drive does not have an led on which I noticed from corsairs website they do come with. And the actual circuit board for the drive detaches when you remove it from your computer i.e it slides out of the rubber cover.

It was bought as new and I had to open the blister pack it was in. But I am really having my doubts about this item.

Advise please.

P.S on windows 7 but retried on a vista system with same effect.

Also sd formatter does not register it either.

• Corsair Employee
In device manager change the drive Policies for the flash Drive to Optimized for Performance then you will be able to format the drive in NTFS by right clicking on the drive letter.

Hi thanks for the reply however I had already tried that. I also reformated it back to exfat and tried copying to it and after about 8gb it said the file system was corrupt and refused to copy anymore. Again reformated and same result.

It doesnt look like either it looks like the standard flash voyager in blue and black silicon rubber. It was bought new in packaging from an ebay uk shop with 100% good feedback. The packaging looks like real corsair but is missing a barcode and had a blank square where one should be.

Seller has said he is going on holiday for a week and will refund me on his return. I contacted ebay and they recomended waiting for seller response to situation. He has been selling more than one of these and he told me he is now removing rest from sale (have not checked this but assuming he was conned by his supplier I have no reason to doubt him yet)

Do you wish me to document anything about this product for you guys for legal reasons etc? I have to return product this week so if you need anything like details on packaging or stick itself I would be happy to pass anything required to you.

As I paid only about 10% less than the listed shop price I thought it was simply a bulk discount purchase so was very upset to have this happen as I use my storage for critical live situations (im a proffessional DJ and use these sticks to store my music digitally as it is usually much more reliable than external hard drives.)

It was very nearly a disaster for a couples wedding luckily I always carry multiple spares.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but there is not much we can do, we have reported this type of issue to Ebay so many times I cant remember and they just don't seem to care. For Ebay they are not the ones actually selling the item so as long as they get their money my guess is they could care less.

Here is a good rule of thumb with whatever you purchase. If the retail price is 99.95 for 32GB from the lowest price retailer and u find it on ebay NEW for 30.00 chances its FAKE , think about that , it cost 10% in ebay fees + PP fees so maybe the reseller is buying from china for 10.00 to sell it for 30.00 ?? .. so in short .. if its too good to be true then its not true.. or ITS FAKE..

Im willing to bet that all that get taken on bad or fake memory , already knew that something was fishy about the sale , but like me are just to blind to pass up a good deal. I got burned for fake memory more than once.. And its good fake memory , or at least it seem so , it looks real, it formats real, it even transfers files and the figures add up.. Like i can transfer 64 GB of video files to it , so everything LOOS real, but if i try to play the video file or if i copy it back to my HD its still looks real ,, but wont play.. so really all need to run a program called h2testw.exe it will tell you for sure if your memory is any good,..

Hope i can save somebody from loosing $ on fake memory .. if not no harm done ..

• Corsair Employee
Many of us have found that to be the case, but honestly I think the majority of people selling do so with good intent, but there are so may "Good Opportunities" pushed by ebay and its associates that turn out to be scams you really do need to be careful or you may get taken advantage of.

Im done with Ebay for memory ,, I purchased your Voyager GTR 32GB its on the way from a well known retailer.. I look forward to a real USB Drive im finished with wasting $ and time on ebay, trying to get a un-real deal, i ended up paying 99.95 and get a 10.00 rebate , total cost 89.95 that's a great price for quality and piece of mind , Im confidant ill be very happy.. Thanks to you RAM GUY, your a good moderator.. keep up the good work. This post and your attitude sold me on your product.. :)

Sorry , i was referring to this post here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85890

Thank you for your help in this matter would it be possible that you could make a statment that it is not real and Ican enclose it on return to the seller? He asked for proof and other than print screen of the error and a report from a memory tester program I though a corsair confirmation would be the final tip in favour.

That is a counterfeit product and you need to go back and complain to the reseller and to Ebay.

not good enough?

ALL genuine Corsair products have UPC codes that should be good enough however keep in mind the burden of proof is on the seller, not the buyer. ask any lawyer :)

im curious if you have a pic of the visible chip as NO chips should ever be visible.

• Corsair Employee

No to mention ask the seller to provide a link of that product on our site.

They cannot because we never made a 128 Gig Flash Voyager only Flash Voyager GT and GTR models have ever been released.

• Corsair Employee
Post a link to the seller's add, does he have any more I will be happy to let Our Lawyers know who he is and register a complaint on e-bays site I have done it some many times. He will be registered as a fraudulent seller and never have a good reputation.

• Corsair Employee
The other items I see at least show real products, and this seller is not selling these any more. But you should complain to E-Bay the reseller is not working with you and sold you a fake product. I dont know the laws there but I would file a law suite against EBay and the seller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived