Corsair Community

Disassembly instructions?

andrerobot

Hi-

I've just purchased a One Pro. My intention is to use it as a machine learning platform for my own education. I've installed Ubuntu on the HDD- and as expected the performance is quite bad. Windows running of the SSD isn't exactly great either. So, I'd like to upgrade my one pro with an NVME drive for use as my primary boot device in support of a linux installation.

I understand that disassembly voids warranty. I'm willing to forgo warranty as a price of upgrade. I can afford to have fixed that which I break.

Having said that, I'd prefer not to break anything needlessly.

It was mentioned that **EVERY** (?) reviewer who had opened the machine managed to break the case. Can someone please advise on how to avoid damage under basic disassembly?

Hi-

I've just purchased a One Pro. My intention is to use it as a machine learning platform for my own education. I've installed Ubuntu on the HDD- and as expected the performance is quite bad. Windows running of the SSD isn't exactly great either. So, I'd like to upgrade my one pro with an NVME drive for use as my primary boot device in support of a linux installation.

I understand that disassembly voids warranty. I'm willing to forgo warranty as a price of upgrade. I can afford to have fixed that which I break.

Having said that, I'd prefer not to break anything needlessly.

It was mentioned that **EVERY** (?) reviewer who had opened the machine managed to break the case. Can someone please advise on how to avoid damage under basic disassembly?

Hello did yo manage to update your machine with NVME? It should not be that dificult

Yes- this morning actually. Notably with no help from Corsair...

It took about 45 min- I went slow to be sure I didn't damage anything.

The side panel on the CPU side must be completely removed (involves removing the CPU heat sink from the MB).

The side panel on the GPU side must be released, but the heat sink & tubing can remain attached.

The front panel must be removed- this is accomplished by disengaging six tabs, three along each side. It would help to have a second pair of hands as the three tabs on a given side must be simultaneously released. It's disappointing to find that these tabs which are integral to the structure of the case are chromed plastic. Plastic is bad enough, but chrome?

LOTS of cables to disengage from the MB. I took a photo at every step- this actually saved me at reassembly, at the end of which I was left with one three pin cable and no recollection of it's connection point on the MB.

I managed to not break anything, and the system booted back up (I haven't had time to format the drive and perform an OS install, but the NvME drive is visible to the disk partition tool, so I think that all is well). However, this isn't a task for the timid, nor for the ham fisted. There were a couple of moments where the "Mr. Hyde" in me thought, "If I only had a hammer..."

This was less like an "upgrade" and more like open heart surgery. Corsair seems to suggest the platform is designed to be upgradeable. This borders on false advertising- add to the difficulty of upgrade the fact that they provide no documentation and have conspicuously ignored my request for help.

I'm not impressed.

IMG_1901.JPG.4fadc2fed839b0d54ac30305abeb39ac.JPG

IMG_1905.JPG.3d2a05e616263730a74b7bb45dc4fcbb.JPG

• Corsair Employee
Yes- this morning actually. Notably with no help from Corsair...

It took about 45 min- I went slow to be sure I didn't damage anything.

The side panel on the CPU side must be completely removed (involves removing the CPU heat sink from the MB).

The side panel on the GPU side must be released, but the heat sink & tubing can remain attached.

The front panel must be removed- this is accomplished by disengaging six tabs, three along each side. It would help to have a second pair of hands as the three tabs on a given side must be simultaneously released. It's disappointing to find that these tabs which are integral to the structure of the case are chromed plastic. Plastic is bad enough, but chrome?

LOTS of cables to disengage from the MB. I took a photo at every step- this actually saved me at reassembly, at the end of which I was left with one three pin cable and no recollection of it's connection point on the MB.

I managed to not break anything, and the system booted back up (I haven't had time to format the drive and perform an OS install, but the NvME drive is visible to the disk partition tool, so I think that all is well). However, this isn't a task for the timid, nor for the ham fisted. There were a couple of moments where the "Mr. Hyde" in me thought, "If I only had a hammer..."

This was less like an "upgrade" and more like open heart surgery. Corsair seems to suggest the platform is designed to be upgradeable. This borders on false advertising- add to the difficulty of upgrade the fact that they provide no documentation and have conspicuously ignored my request for help.

I'm not impressed.

Just remember we're still working on the upgradeability and there will be certified technicians that will do these upgrades, instructions that are detailed are also most likely what we will go by to approve a user-upgrade if available.

Congratulations!!!

We need people like you to do what should be done from the beginning!

This is the first time I see a computer been released with no Instruction Manual what so ever!

Could you tell me if there is a factory restore partition on the original driver?

As it seems people who have reinstall windows are facing issues with a software called Link Corsair who seems not to work if reinstall a clean windows on it!

Thank you for the update on M2 SSD, could you please run temps test on your M2 driver ones is running?

I'm wandering if the fact that is squeeze in the back of the motherboard may run HOT and that may be the reason Corsair did not use it HOPING IM WRONG

Thanks for your pictures, will love to see more pictures if you have them so?

Was hoping in my head thinking it would be easier to just take out the video Card and have access to the back of the mother board if I'm correct !!

Congratulations!!!

We need people like you to do what should be done from the beginning!

This is the first time I see a computer been released with no Instruction Manual what so ever!

Could you tell me if there is a factory restore partition on the original driver?

As it seems people who have reinstall windows are facing issues with a software called Link Corsair who seems not to work if reinstall a clean windows on it!

Thank you for the update on M2 SSD, could you please run temps test on your M2 driver ones is running?

I'm wandering if the fact that is squeeze in the back of the motherboard may run HOT and that may be the reason Corsair did not use it HOPING IM WRONG

I've just finished an ~hour-long build of DL4J off of this drive. Output of the nvme command is below. Temp readings of 44 and 52C.

Smart Log for NVME device:nvme0 namespace-id:ffffffff

critical_warning : 0

temperature : 44 C

available_spare : 100%

available_spare_threshold : 10%

percentage_used : 0%

data_units_read : 949,341

data_units_written : 1,051,342

host_read_commands : 117,490,141

host_write_commands : 693,525

controller_busy_time : 20

power_cycles : 6

power_on_hours : 3

unsafe_shutdowns : 0

media_errors : 0

num_err_log_entries : 4

Warning Temperature Time : 0

Critical Composite Temperature Time : 0

Temperature Sensor 1 : 44 C

Temperature Sensor 2 : 52 C

Temperature Sensor 3 : 0 C

Temperature Sensor 4 : 0 C

Temperature Sensor 5 : 0 C

Temperature Sensor 6 : 0 C

Temperature Sensor 7 : 0 C

Temperature Sensor 8 : 0 C

Have you really noticed that much of a speed increase with the NVME drive over the original built-in SSD? I assume you had the 480GB Corsair SSD to start?

I was running Windows off the SSD, and Ubuntu off the HDD.

It's hard for me to make a meaningful comparison.

I've reinstalled Ubuntu onto the NVME (I'm using the machine primarily as a Linux box).

The performance as compared with hdd is obviously vastly improved. Boot time is a couple seconds. Software packages install very very quickly. Compile times are vastly improved. The responsiveness of the command shell is significantly improved.

Sorry I can't provide anything more tangible- seat of the pants feel seems worth the cost of the upgrade, but this assumes one can accomplish it without damaging anything.

The most likely thing I'd expect someone damage are the plastic tabs holding the front panel to the frame- as I said, it would help to have a second pair of hands for the task. Also, a couple of the connections to the circuit board are extremely snug (main power harness, for example). Have small pliers and a thin pry tool on hand.

How's Linux running on this? Any major compatibility issues? How easy/hard do you think it would be to set this up as a duel boot? Thanks.

Im running Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10, dual boot.

For Linux, I simply downloaded the current Ubuntu distribution and created a bootable USB.

I went into the BIOS to set boot order priority and booted into Linux off of the USB, and installed to a free partition (initially to the HDD, and subsequently to a NVME drive).

I subsequently set Ubuntu as the default boot volume in the boot loader.

Ubuntu installed without issue.

I manually upgraded to the most recent nVidia driver- this wasn't completely turnkey, but the procedure is well documented (mainly you must halt the windows server prior to driver install).

Ubuntu runs great. I've configured an SSH server, installed my public RSA keys from all other machines I use into the authorized_keys list, and set up port forwarding on my router. I'm able to shell into it from anywhere.

On the topic of remote access, I have a gripe with the "home" version of windows installed on these machines- it doesn't come with remote desktop server, so you can't RDC into windows remotely out of the box. This is more of a Microsoft money grubbing issue (forcing an upsell to any serious users), but corsair should have equipped these machines with an upgraded windows 10 distro. MacOS, conversely imposes no such constraint, and in fact does a lot to streamline remote access.

I've installed Anaconda, cuDNN, Theano, and Keras. My machine learning projects are running successfully on the GPU.

• 3 months later...

New happy Corsair One Pro user with some questions here folks! :)

Now, I want to install Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS in dual boot (with pre-installed Windows 10). So far my plan was to shrink both the SSD drive (C:\) and the HDD drive (D:\) a bit in Windows, then install root on the freed part SSD and home on the freed part of HDD. By the way, please let me know if you think that this is a bad idea.

As for the actual questions. I have downloaded the ISO image and recorded it on a flash drive (Rufus, MBR with UEFI only). However, when I try to boot from it and select Try Ubuntu without installing all I get is a black screen. I have tried HDMI ports on the front and the back sides.

I have disabled Secure Boot in the Setup, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. How do I fix it?

Archived