Corsair Community

fans not working with commander pro after switching.

charbel1011

so as my title says my commander pro is not powering my fans at all after switching to a new psu and a motherboars and a new cpu. i have 2 corsair ll series and 3 corsair sp fans the one that comes with the corsair 570x case. they do lightup but they dont run. i tried to run the fans directly to the motherboars and they spin right away. i submitted a ticket and they sent me another commander pro and this one is having the same issue. my 2 LL series fans are 4 pins and the sp ones are 3 pins. its just when i power my system they are not spinning at all no power to them. however i can see the commander pro in the icue with no problem.

There is no “off setting” so this isn’t the software. Fan lighting comes from the RGB Lighting controller and its SATA power line. Two Commander Pros that don’t spin sounds like a SATA line issue to that device. You got a new psu, so presumably new power cables as well. Try a different SATA cable from the bag or attach it to a known working one, like from your drives or RGB controllers.

There is no “off setting” so this isn’t the software. Fan lighting comes from the RGB Lighting controller and its SATA power line. Two Commander Pros that don’t spin sounds like a SATA line issue to that device. You got a new psu, so presumably new power cables as well. Try a different SATA cable from the bag or attach it to a known working one, like from your drives or RGB controllers.

i only upgraded from corsair rm650x to corsair 850x. this is legit weird. i didnt change the brand of the psu. i dont get it.and hows that a sata problem.if the device is actually functioning and i can see it in icue?

Edited by charbel1011

okay you're right i tried another sata cable and it worked i was teying to connect the commander pro to one of the sata cables by cablemod because that's what i have and it didn't work now im wondering why in the world cablemod sata cables are not providing power to.the commander pro.and its no a bad sata i know that because ita running my ssd and etc...

It was the most probable cause. We see this occasionally with both your circumstance and Molex to SATA conversion. I don’t know why the extension doesn’t work, but it is not uncommon. Maybe there is a voltage drop the device doesn’t like, but we probably need an electrical engineer for a better explanation. Edited by c-attack
Predictive text sucks

Are you using CableMod extensions or direct (full) replacements? Extensions will by default add some resistance to the circuit but the voltage drop should be minimal and within the voltage tolerance of the CoPro.

A more likely possibility would be a "dry joint" in the cable's connector (either the PSU or device end). Your description of "can see it in ICUE but the fans are not spinning" and the fact that replacing the SATA cable fixed the problem leads me to the dry joint issue. I suspect you'd see the CoPro in ICUE with just the USB cable as the SATA connection is likely only used to supply the +12V required by the fans.

- and yes, I am an electronic engineer -

Are you using CableMod extensions or direct (full) replacements? Extensions will by default add some resistance to the circuit but the voltage drop should be minimal and within the voltage tolerance of the CoPro.

A more likely possibility would be a "dry joint" in the cable's connector (either the PSU or device end). Your description of "can see it in ICUE but the fans are not spinning" and the fact that replacing the SATA cable fixed the problem leads me to the dry joint issue. I suspect you'd see the CoPro in ICUE with just the USB cable as the SATA connection is likely only used to supply the +12V required by the fans.

- and yes, I am an electronic engineer -

i wanna thank you so much for replying to.me and the fact youre an electronic engineer. what do you recommend me to with the cablemod cables? should i throw them out and use the one that i got with the psu safer? and what have when u have a dry joint? this ssta cable the one that commander pro didnt run has many components connected to it? do u think i will fry them if i keep using it?, thank u again. i really get nervous about my stuff. and to reply to yout question i was using the sata cable by cablemod and not the extension.

Thought so, I have an sata extender in my case and I can run everything on it other than the power supply for my h100i platinum se, the lights won't turn on. No idea why but that lead me to the idea it might be your sata cable :D Glad all works.

i wanna thank you so much for replying to.me and the fact youre an electronic engineer. what do you recommend me to with the cablemod cables? should i throw them out and use the one that i got with the psu safer? and what have when u have a dry joint? this ssta cable the one that commander pro didnt run has many components connected to it? do u think i will fry them if i keep using it?, thank u again. i really get nervous about my stuff. and to reply to yout question i was using the sata cable by cablemod and not the extension.

I use a full CableMod (ModFlex) kit paired with an AX1200i and have 2 x CoPro's running off my system without any issues. My son has CableMod Pro (ModMesh) extensions on his HX1200i (and uses a couple of CableMod SATA extension cables); again without issues. CaleMod on the whole are well made but there's a chance you have a cable with a less than perfect connection - things happen. The only other issue I've heard of is when people purchase the wrong kit (e.g. an AX/HX series set when they should have bought a RX series kit) but that's usually more dramatic as the pin-out configuration on the PSU side may differ between the PSU series - see Corsair PSU cable compatibility for further details.

I live near the beach and as such, am subjected to salt air. I've had the odd time (pre-Corsair equipment days) where I've had to unplug/re-plug a cable that had exhibited oxidation to get them to work. The simple act of unplugging/re-plugging usually "scratches" off some of the oxidation and provides a better contact. A more prudent method would be to apply Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) on the joints (careful, it is very flammable but evaporates quickly) on the connectors you suspect are experiencing problems (do both ends of the cable). Please; only do after first turning off the computer and completely unplugged it for the mains. I'd even clean up the SATA connector on the CoPro for good measure.

As for frying your components, the short answer is no unless you are using a CableMod kit not compatible with your PSU. I did have a 24 pin connector "fry" one time on an old Antec Truepower Quattro 1200W PSU when an internal pin wasn't making good contact with the motherboard and I was massively overvolting/overclocking the CPU (i7-930). Suffice to say both the 24 pin plug and motherboard 24 pin socket suffered irreparable damage :(

• 2 years later...
i have a similar problem. I also have a second commander, where I attached 2 noctua f14 and one f12. the problem is that when the computer started, a noctua f14 made a small movement and then died. the second commander is not connected to a single sata but a sata which has multiple connections including ssd, i tried to change icue settings from auto to 4 pin nothing i tried to move the connector to another port from pc off and without power but nothing, I forced the update but nothing the fan stays still. then I try to disconnect and change the port from the pc on and the fan has started how can it be I can't understand the problem, if I turn off and start again the fan does not start could someone help me ??