Corsair Community

Vengeance M60/65/90/95 and K90 Firmware Issues:

LordLobo

THE SYMPTOMS:

- K90 plugged in, all 'standard 108' keys work, backlight does not, media keys do not, volume does not, winLock does not and so on

- Going to Start->Devices and Printers shows keyboard as 'KBD BOOT LOADER'

- You're stark raving mad, and are not going to take it anymore!

WARNING NOTES:

- This might wreck a port on your machine where you might want to plug in the k90. By 'wreck' I mean you won't be able to use it for the K90 Keyboard Plug. I recommend using a secondary machine or alternate windows install.

K90 Keyboard

STEPS:

1) Make sure you have the K90's latest software and fimware installers unzipped somewhere.

2) MOST IMPORTANT STEP Go to Start->Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan Settings->Change Advanced Power Settings->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting->Disabled

3) Plug your K90 into a DIRECT USB 2.0 PORT on your machine.

4) Go to Start->Devices and Printers.

5) Right-click on KBD BOOT LOADER and select 'Properties'

6) Click on the Hardware tab. You should see 'HID Keyboard Device' and another item (I forgot what it says, but it shouldn't say 'Corsair Gaming Keyboard'). Select the other item, then click 'Properties'

7) Click on the 'Change Settings' button on the first page of the Properties dialog

8) Click on 'Update Driver'

9) Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

10) Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

11) Click 'Have Disk' It might look for your a: drive first (good old windows)

12) In the box 'copy manufacturer's files from put 'C:\Program Files (x86)\corsair\K90 firmware update\Driver\X64'

13) You should be able to select the Corsair driver somehow. When your done Your 'KBD BOOT LOADER' properties should have 'Corsair Gaming Keyboard' and 'HID Keyboard Device'

14) Select the HID Keyboard Device

15) Click 'Change Settings'

16) Click the Driver Tab

17) Click 'Uninstall'. Windows will cry about this. Let it do it's thing

18) Once you 'OK' everything they K90 won't work at all. DON'T PANIC! You should also not see KBD BOOT LOADER in Devices and Printers

19) UNINSTALL K90 EVERYTHING

20) Install the K90 Firmware Updater.

21) When the firmware is installed, start the updater application up and update the keyboard.

22) It should complete at this point. Your keyboard won't light up just now. DON'T PANIC!

23) Unplug the K90 from it's current port. Plug it into another one.

24) Start the Software Installer and let it complete.

25) Keyboard should light up.

M6X/M9X Mouse:

*With the mice on your USB 2.0.

0) Uninstall all drivers from your M60 (if you have it installed);

1) Install Firmware Software Updater (don't execute it yet);

2) Start->Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan Settings->Change Advanced Power Settings->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting->Disabled.

3) Right-click on KBD BOOT LOADER and select 'Properties';

4) Click on the Hardware tab. You should see 'HID Keyboard Device' and another item. Select the other item, then click 'Properties'.

7) Click on the 'Change Settings' button on the first page of the Properties dialog;

8) Click on 'Update Driver';

9) Select 'Browse my computer for driver software';

Now here is the thing: Instead of selecting the Drive file inside Corsair's Updater folder, you will uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and select Manufacture: Corsair and then you will see M60 driver;

10) Install the Driver. It will detect your M60;

11) Update your Firmware through Corsair's and now it will detect your mice instead of giving that crazy error;

12) Your mouse may be frozen and even an Exclamation point will appear on Printers and Devices so just click on Fix problem. Windows may fix it by itself;

*If your mouse is still frozen, try restarting your computer and change it to another USB Port.

Your mouse should be fixed now.

Edited by RAM GUY

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I just signed up to say thanks for this, I was about ready to give up (only had my k90 less than a day). What you typed didn't quite work for me (I tried all the steps 3 times on different usb ports), but I found a quicker solution that did. What I ended up doing was steps 4-13. At this point the only thing different was the "corsair gaming device" rename on the kbd boot loader properties. Then I ran the firmware updater without uninstalling anything else. It completed and my glorious blue backlights came back on.

Previously when I first plugged in the keyboard I had the macro software and everything was running absolutely fine until I noticed an irritating problem where my backspace key wouldn't work every press. This caused me to try the firmware update. It did complete and told me everything was fine, except the lights went out and the media keys stopped working etc. I only got the "update mode whatever failed" message with subsequent tries. I think the update screwed up the first time and after that it wasn't able to try again because the device had been renamed.

But yeah. My backspace is working nicely and all I need to do now is redo all my macros. It's a good thing I wrote them all down. Thanks :D:

• 5 months later...
thanks lordlobo finally getting somewhere with the drivers issue, did most on my win 7 64 bit laptop. after a few attempts and a few changes, up flashed and doing good. moved it to main machine and it's alot more functional, still some debuging to do, using it right now but no shift yet lol CL WORKS. but a big thank you getting it to this point ; 0 mouse will be next :D:

You sir are a magician. If you do not work for Corsair I sure hope they at least paid you for this post. I called them this morning because I experienced the same exact problem as you after I tried to update the firmware and they simply told me to visit this thread and if it did not work that I had to RMA my keyboard. Luckily you came along and somehow pulled off what they could not. I made an account simply to say this does in fact work perfectly; I am typing this joyful post with my fully working super awesome K90. While I am extremely upset with Corsair.... I still have to admit this keyboard rocks and I am 100000% happier now that I do not have to RMA the keyboard.

Hey, I was able to follow all the steps except i got stuck on 12) I get an error saying the folder i chose does not have compatible drivers. I installed it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\K90 firmware update\Driver\X64" here and i have 5 items inside that folder. (CORSGKB, CORSGKB.sys, corsgkb64, diunins64 and dpinst". I tried it on two different machines and i can't get past that stage. Any suggestions? I Am running windows 7 64bit on 1 machine and widows 8 on the other.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/779/errorr.jpg

If one button does not have a backlight and the rest do. It may indicate the L.E.D has died out.

Once I plugged keyboard in - all buttons were lighted. But one minute after one of them started to fade out. Now when I turn on computer that button always dark.

Can it be the problem with some keyboard chip? If not I could try to replace dead LED by myself.

EDIT*** Something really strange just happened. 1 day later i just unplug my keyboard and when i start up comp it stops working. Then i look at driver and find that there is a corsair keyboard! I run the K90 Beta Firmware update and BAM IT WORKS! everything is up and running!!! WOOT!!! Edited by Pharonic

Devices & Printers -> KBD Keyboard -> Uninstall the Corsair one

Unplug the keyboard

Replug the keyboard.

Windows automatically installs drivers.

Install the K90 Drivers on top. Run the FW Update (the program that installs the drivers onto your keyboard) if you haven't, THEN run the actual Keyboard Firmware installation program.

Fixes it and doesn't mess up a USB port.

• 3 weeks later...

same problem here! Pls help!:(:

Hey, I was able to follow all the steps except i got stuck on 12) I get an error saying the folder i chose does not have compatible drivers. I installed it "C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\K90 firmware update\Driver\X64" here and i have 5 items inside that folder. (CORSGKB, CORSGKB.sys, corsgkb64, diunins64 and dpinst". I tried it on two different machines and i can't get past that stage. Any suggestions? I Am running windows 7 64bit on 1 machine and widows 8 on the other.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/779/errorr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quoted from: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104856

I followed LordLobo's Steps until I encounted an issue at step 21.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

STEPS:

1) Make sure you have the K90_setup_beta2.12_010602 driver kit unzipped somewhere.

2) MOST IMPORTANT STEP Go to Start->Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan Settings->Change Advanced Power Settings->USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting->Disabled

3) Plug your K90 into a DIRECT USB 2.0 PORT on your machine.

4) Go to Start->Devices and Printers.

5) Right-click on KBD BOOT LOADER and select 'Properties'

6) Click on the Hardware tab. You should see 'HID Keyboard Device' and another item (I forgot what it says, but it shouldn't say 'Corsair Gaming Keyboard'). Select the other item, then click 'Properties'

7) Click on the 'Change Settings' button on the first page of the Properties dialog

8) Click on 'Update Driver'

9) Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'

10) Select 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

11) Click 'Have Disk' It might look for your a: drive first (good old windows)

12) In the box 'copy manufacturer's files from put 'C:\Program Files (x86)\corsair\K90 firmware update\Driver\X64'

13) You should be able to select the Corsair driver somehow. When your done Your 'KBD BOOT LOADER' properties should have 'Corsair Gaming Keyboard' and 'HID Keyboard Device'

14) Select the HID Keyboard Device

15) Click 'Change Settings'

16) Click the Driver Tab

17) Click 'Uninstall'. Windows will cry about this. Let it do it's thing

18) Once you 'OK' everything they K90 won't work at all. DON'T PANIC! You should also not see KBD BOOT LOADER in Devices and Printers

19) UNINSTALL K90 EVERYTHING

20) Run 'K90FirmwareUpdate_v107.exe' from the driver package

21) When setup is done, run the Firmware Updater and fire it off.

22) OH YEAH - It should complete at this point. Your keyboard won't light up just now. DON'T PANIC!

23) Unplug the K90 from it's current port. Plug it into another one.

24) Run 'K90 setup beta.2.12 010612.exe'.

25) Keyboard should light up. All keys should work. Enjoy the fact that you don't need to ship your $120 keyboard anywhere, and you have some sweet clicky justice!

When running the FW updater, It came up with "Set update mode failed!"

So what I did was,

1. I went into Devices and Printers, Right clicked on KBD Boot Loader and clicked Properties

2. Went into Hardware and there was only one Device function there which "USB input device"

3. Then I went into Properties of that, Selected the Driver Tab, and selected "Update Driver..."

4. Then I clicked "Browse My Computer For Driver Software"

5. I then Clicked on "Let me pcik from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. I Selected USB Input device, The only one there, clicked next, and it Lit up

7. Then I had to start the software control panel thingy to get things like shift and holding down backspace to work, but it works great now.

I couldn't find a thread on the problem that I had and fixed, so I'm guessing it's only me that had the problem, but its here for anyone else who might have it.

Edited by Technobeard
edited to fix the quote

Quoted from: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104856

I followed LordLobo's Steps until I encounted an issue at step 21.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

When running the FW updater, It came up with "Set update mode failed!"

So what I did was,

1. I went into Devices and Printers, Right clicked on KBD Boot Loader and clicked Properties

2. Went into Hardware and there was only one Device function there which "USB input device"

3. Then I went into Properties of that, Selected the Driver Tab, and selected "Update Driver..."

4. Then I clicked "Browse My Computer For Driver Software"

5. I then Clicked on "Let me pcik from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. I Selected USB Input device, The only one there, clicked next, and it Lit up

7. Then I had to start the software control panel thingy to get things like shift and holding down backspace to work, but it works great now.

I couldn't find a thread on the problem that I had and fixed, so I'm guessing it's only me that had the problem, but its here for anyone else who might have it.

i think the same thing happened to me, i just cursed a lot and tried it again and that worked for me

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone. I did everything you guys told me and still, my macros and media keys are not working properly and my "D" is not lighting up albeit I have had this keyboard for only a few hours. I remember it working perfectly before I installed drivers. I did all those steps, etc and I came back to square one. Please help! Oh and I am on Windows 7 64 bit. Edited by tsiknus