Corsair Community

system failure boot?

while in the bios of my asus mobo trying to increase my cpu speed, my 20mo old daughter turned the power off on my power strip... now when i try to start the computer up nothing comes on the screen. my 6400pro's show some activity on their led's when power is first applied but then are unlit. any suggestions on what i can do?!?:bigeyes:

Sounds like you'll need to dig out your motherboard manual and follow it's procedure for resetting the board's cmos to the hard-wired factory default bios. It looks like you'll have quite a bit of work ahead of you though, as you'll need to reflash the default bios to the latest update, manually reconfigure your ram settings, maybe rebuild your RAID 0 array and/or create a new one, reload Windows with the appropriate Sata drivers, reload chipset drivers, video card drivers, DirectX, sound card drivers, then update Windows, and then reload all of your other software. This could be a bummer.

The BIOS is not necessarily bad, but may have corrupted settings due to the power-off.

Almost all the new ASUS motherboards come with a program that will allow you to flash the BIOS off of a floppy without booting the system. Your mainboard manual outlines this procedure in the BIOS section and I believe it's called EZ Flash.

If all else fails, you may be able to get ASUS tech support to RMA the board and/or BIOS ROM, but since it's a user error (however innocent) don't hold your breath.

You can also try to move the CLRTC jumper (also outlined in the BIOS section of the mainboard manual) to the secondary position for 30 seconds, then move it back. This will reset your CMOS to default values. I find this is just as easily done by removing the battery on the mainboard and pushing the power button, then replacing the battery.

PLUR

CK

tried to clear cmos but still nada.....

dont know why it happened...should not be happening but it is....was in the process of increasing my cpu speed, had just taken the cpu voltage from auto to 1.3v which is within the spec's for my pd930... was on the asus logo screen and was going to have to hit delete because system would not boot into o.s. my baby girl hit the switch on the surge protector cutting power to the computer....yeah she's 99.9% angel....went to power up and tada....no beep...amber light on monitor below screen did not turn green....all fans on computer were going but no action....was not in the process of flashing the bios....but when i take out my 6400pro dimms or my bfg 7900gtx video card i still get no beeps....ahhhhgg...taking whole system to computer gurus at mediaworks where i live today...going to find out if its the mobo....and/or dimms...and/or video card...thanx for the help guys, it is appreciated....already got rma number from asus....now just have to wait and see how expensive this is going to be...

ps

put floppy in drive but its not being read either

pps graphix card and dimms are still good t.G.

Actually, that's the exact set of symptoms my old system had... the chipset went out due to a bad power supply and I suppose the surge protector switch could imitate a poor rail on the PSU...

Since you've got an RMA number, go ahead and get the board replaced.

PLUR

CK

Archived