Corsair Community

Corsair H115i Fan at maximum speed please help

cmx1993

Hello dear community,

I have a problem with my Corsair H115i.

When I play the fans of the H115i turn to maximum after about 5 minutes and stay there, or go down again for a short time from the speed.

I use it with an Asus Maximus X Hero and have already made the Q Fan Monitoring feature off.

I use the H115i with the iCue software.

does anyone know remedy?

Kind regards

cmx

Can you show a screen cap when this is happening? Or perhaps the fan speed and coolant temperature graphs over a period of time when this is happening?

Because from what I see in your screen shot, it's fine. Is it maybe another fan in your system?

The chart tells the tale:

y4m-jrQCyRAmzk7zOsatTDu6IFDLLTnH9QqKR30Beyly1sc_BfvE8AnYt_W1DE3VIQ2yLAnc8mi3diFPoPHdR8U-ygTQrlzzOsm2pWm5GnS3XJYhHaOiXPbdSPQUn_MSNV5HvkZMbqDDs2GGDAcEb77xOZDJXAOqAZ36wO-R-cQZhylV37c1s0wic2QIetzb8-X8yogFh2gqJ4nitQiMTM4uQ?width=1095&height=799&cropmode=none

Your cooler is hitting 40C ... which kicks your fans up to 100%. CPU and GPU temps indicate that you are putting a load on them but not too significant. Of course, it's difficult to tell because you've not filled out your system specs so I'm going to have to make guesses. You mention a Maximus X ... so Coffee Lake.

It's very possible that the internal case temperature is rising due to the GPU waste heat which would indicate a problem with your overall case airflow.

While identifying motherboard temps is always a challenge, I do notice that MB Temp 4 tracks pretty closely to your coolant temperature. If that's your internal case temperature, that is your problem right there. This is especially true if your radiator is configured in exhaust mode rather than intake; in that case, it would be trying to cool the radiator coolant with air that's over 40C. So, in accordance with the laws of physics, the coolant temperature would increase.

Question: is this a new build, a new cooler or anything else new?

OK. So does it do this when you aren't playing games? When the system is idle?

And after you stop playing, does the temperature drop?

Another thing to do ... turn the system off and let it cool down. Restart the system and use a CPU-only stress tool (such as Prime). What happens? Watch MB Temp 4 and your coolant temperature. Your GPU should be low and keep your GPU fan off (in the default settings).

Because right now, based on the data at hand, it looks like your problem is pretty clearly case air flow.

if I do not play the temperature is low only today it is very hot in the room where the pc is. I've already run all the prime95 test and there the problem does not occur. in the Prime Test the fans of the GPU are off. MB temp4 is at 35-45 Celsius. the CPU is at a maximum of 64 Celsius GPU at 55 Celsius. h115i temperature is at 45 Celsius. should the fan not only up to a maximum of 55% of the power use if I have adjusted?

What is your ambient temperature?

And the fans will run at 100% when it hits 40C. You might be able to change that with a custom fan curve but I think some coolers have an override for when it hits 40C; not sure myself as I've never had my coolant get that high.

If your H115 settles at 45C max under a Prime95 load, then I don't think we're looking at a blockage situation here. What we have is an issue where your ambient temperature and internal case temperature is actually driving up the temperature of the coolant. It's thermodynamics 101 ... heat moves from warmer to cooler. If the air going through the radiator is warmer than the coolant, it's actually heat up the coolant. You want the air going through that radiator to be as cool as possible; that'll give you the best efficiency. But as long as you have high ambient and internal case temperatures, you'll have high coolant temperatures.

I have 26C in the room.

Will it help to Turn the Case Fans Up for better internal cooling ?

As that's likely the cause, yes, absolutely.

If you control your case fans from the BIOS, try to see if you can tie them to that MB4 temperature and set a fan curve that starts increasing around 34C.

Additional exhaust will also likely be helpful. The exact details are hard to say without knowing the layout of the fans and your case. We've seen cases where having the cooler on top as exhaust actually causes heat buildup in the top of the case as the warm air exhausted from the radiator doesn't get outside the case.

but if i limit the h115i fans at 60% by 40 celsius. they have to limit right?

No idea how they get to 2000 rmp

Not necessarily. It depends on the internal implementation - at that temp there may be a firmware override that pushes the fans to 100%. I seem to recall hearing about that here on the forum before but I, personally, have never experienced it as I don't let my coolers get that warm.

That latest log shows the same issue. Watch how your coolant temp starts dropping when the GPU temp drops. It drops a full 3C in 5 minutes when the GPU load drops. That right there tells me that the problem is not the cooler.

y4m5NIazzFUpP32E-JjEHRbtwhNbo7a4jHc76107zQmPfOhewOYxxM2uDQG1GF_suwWOjZ0lXjeZ8awRlUpDLI5UDxEE7OTfX-FU6nRsFLrKbWzQQg1dcp-jt-sDCLX6DZihFXKFDZdYaE8wFO-FKoiS1Wpc4p9AWAnCbOHg0YbbYGPN5Z7LQwaLBVwM23zpyoV1Lql0jVnUVY2KMIxpWSInw?width=1090&height=790&cropmode=none

Your GPU is heating up your internal case temperature. This is heating up the air going through the radiator. It also heats up MB Temp #4. You need to manage the heat from that GPU better. The laws of thermodynamics are pesky, inconvenient and inescapable.

I cannot tell you anything more without knowing your system details. Fan placement, case, airflow ... that kind of stuff. What I can tell you, pretty definitively, is that you are not managing the waste heat from your GPU well. And that's heating everything up.

i have updatet my system infos in this forum.

i have a be quit silent base 900 pro case, and 2 140mm fans in the front and 1in the back.

All 3 Fans are controlled by a fan controller in the front of the case.

Oh, I think we've seen this case before. In fact, IIRC, this was the case where the design of the top led directly to heat build up that I mentioned. You have the radiator on the top as exhaust, yes?

You need to reconfigure the radiator as intake, ideally on the front but on the top if you have to. You'll have issues with exhaust so you'll need to deal with that.

What are you using for a fan curve for the two H115i fans? Try a custom curve with the last point at 50C= 2000 RPM (or some high value). Leave that last point alone. Set the second to last point to 45C and then whatever the highest fan speed you can tolerate. The remaining lower points can be anything you want. You should not get past 45C and the last point will remain unreachable (hopefully). This little glitch was a problem on the predecessor H110i GTX. I didn't think the H115i did this, but it does seem like it really wants to blast the fans at 40C.

• 11 months later...
What's the coolant temperature? What does your fan curve look like?

Can you post a screen cap of your coolant temps and your fan curve configuration?

this is how it looks just idle, doing load cpu goes to around 50-55 on around 1600RPM. with fans running on quiet in Icue

Unavngivet.png

HWMonitor.txt