Corsair Community

Can AX850 cause BIOS reset?

CalA

I just built a new system with Corsair AX850 and ASUS P6X58D.

The BIOS resets to factory default when I turn off the PSU. The BIOS will not reset when I simply turn-off the PC (but not switch the PSU off).

I found multiple posts related to BIOS reset to factory defaults for ASUS motherboards. It is suggested that there are some compatibility issues between the PSU and ASUS MOBO.

I know of one specific case where the Corsair Gold PSU was mentioned as the root cause; Corsair PSU was replaced with an old PSU and the BIOS reset issue was simply resolved. Unfortunately I do not have spare PSU.

I hope someone can explain how PSU can cause a BIOS Reset. I read compatibility issue with TX950 and ASUS MOBOs; are there similar issues with AX-line and ASUS MOBOs?

• Corsair Employee
I hope someone can explain how PSU can cause a BIOS Reset. I read compatibility issue with TX950 and ASUS MOBOs; are there similar issues with AX-line and ASUS MOBOs?

The TX950 issue was resolved long ago, I have not seen any compatibility issues with any of the AX series PSUs.

I could not tell you how a PSU would be able to force the motherboard to lose its settings, the BIOS battery should retain them even when a PSU is completely disconnected from the system. Updating the BIOS would be a good place to start troubleshooting.

I have seen a few instances where the BIOS battery socket actually caused the problems, but that is not very easy to test. I would test the PSU in a different system and see if you can duplicate the same issues. If it seems to work in a different system then the problem is likely with the motherboard. However if the problems follow the PSU then Request an RMA.

Please see the post on ASUS forum; a retailer has confirmed that AX850 is not compatible with ASUS MB and PSU is causing the BIOS reset; the retailer is in the process of replacing it with HX850 instead.

ASUS Sabertooth BIOS Reset

I cannot understand how a PSU can cause BIOS reset. I think I will send my AX850 back also because I have a RAID setup and BIOS reset will cause Intel RST to "Verify" the volume.

Snippet from the ASUS forum that I mentioned in my earlier post:

"the retailer has contacted me back and said that they tested and confirm the ax power supply is 'not compatible' with the motherboard , they are going to try with an HX corsair , and swap for that if it does not reset the bios."

I do not have a spare power supply or another workstation to test the PSU; does corsair certify PSUs with ASUS MBs? I am searching for QVL either from ASUS or Corsair.

Yes, as in THAT PSU, not ALL PSUs. NO way would I ever take the word of one retailer and their testing processes concerning a huge statement like that, let alone hearing it from a 3rd party on a forum. Either they're idiots, or they only meant that one PSU.

ATX compliant motherboard + ATX compliant PSU = compatible. Only way I'd assume something different is if a credible source did a BIG study using proper scientific methods.

IMO it is interesting that the retailer is not simply replacing THAT AX850 PSU with another AX850; instead they are trying HX850. I asked this question on the ASUS forum; I hope I get a answer as to why retailer is not simply replacing the faulty AX850 with another AX850.

anyway; in my opinion the ASUS MB have a general "BIOS Reset to Factory Defaults" problem because there are lots of posts in ASUS MB forums. The cause is not known at this time; I have seen all sorts of suggestions: a) uninstall ASUS TurboV b) change Video Card c) change PSU.

• Corsair Employee
This is the first that I have heard of our AX850 causing the BIOS to reset on any motherboard. I will keep an eye out to see if this is being reported anywhere else, but for the moment I suspect that the issue was an isolated one and not a series wide problem.

• 2 months later...

I think I can contribute to this discussion.

I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe that has this power-outage = bios-reset problem. So I bought an ASUS P6X58D-E to replace it (after living with the issue for a couple years).

Guess what? The new motherboard, with all the exact same hardware (a true MB swap), does the same thing. So yeah, I'm thinking it could be my PSU (I don't know what brand it is). Or it could be my graphics card...

I'll be trying a new PSU this weekend.

So I bought a different video card. Yeah, really. I had read some people saying that could be part of the problem.

I swapped out my old EVGA 9800GT and put in an EVGA GTS450.

Guess what? It worked!... I'm all better now. The BIOS stays programmed after I remove power. I wouldn't have believed it had I not just seen it.

Just to reassure people, I have the same motherboard and a different PSU and am having the exact same problem. I have replaced the CMOS battery, uploaded a new bios and nothing helped. Asus has decided that I have a bad BIOS chip and is RMAing. I think this has happened to a number of their boards now. This has nothing to do with a certain LINE of PSUs or anything else.

Cheers guys and happy computing!

OH, and after purchasing my HX 750 for a folding computer, I have decided to change my 1200W on my gaming machine to the AX 1200. You guys make a great product!

Archived