Corsair Community

h115i Cosmos II Case - Fitting issue?

Cathulhu

Greetings fellow forum members,

I bought a h115i last week and I was very excited to get this new cooler. I am having a fit issue with this cooler at the moment and would like to request help.

I was not able to install the 2x 140mm inside the case along with the radiator because of the EATX12v1 and EATX12v2 connectors on the upper left of the motherboard. These cables prevent the fans from completely being flush with the radiator and the screw holes do not line up. So I looked at the Cosmos II manual and it showed the fans being mounted on the top of the case and so this setup is now making the top become an intake instaed of an exhaust. My cpu temperatures have not been stable. I've been jumping from 22c up to 50c while running programs. I am also suspecting that it could be the thermal paste because I have tried to move the cooler 3 times and I'm not sure if its missing thermal paste now.

I would like to make this cooler work but I'm not sure if having the fans on top blowing air inside the case is a good layout for having a nice cooled rig? I humbly request any ideas. Thank you!

IMG_0709.thumb.jpg.c83043e7d8742d4c92bcbe2fc69b920e.jpg

IMG_0708.thumb.jpg.03c6bc9598a032476f580b8ea3188d02.jpg

Hi Cathulhu,

Some things in your post are not clear to me. If I understand correctly you can't mount the fans below the radiator, but what prevents you from making a pull configuration with the fans on top?

What do you mean with "moving the cooler 3 times"? Did you remount it 3 times without repasting?

22-50°C could be normal depending what programs you run, the temperatures change very fast with changes in load. Check your temperatures under load using a stress test, a demanding game, a benchmark. (max temp for the 6700K is 64°C)

Hi Cathulhu,

Some things in your post are not clear to me. If I understand correctly you can't mount the fans below the radiator, but what prevents you from making a pull configuration with the fans on top?

What do you mean with "moving the cooler 3 times"? Did you remount it 3 times without repasting?

22-50°C could be normal depending what programs you run, the temperatures change very fast with changes in load. Check your temperatures under load using a stress test, a demanding game, a benchmark. (max temp for the 6700K is 64°C)

Thanks for your reply!

I don't know how to make a pull configuration on the top, is it possible? I cant mount any fans underneath because those cables are not letting the fans be flush.

Yes I did not repaste the thermal paste, I should do this correct?

I will do my best to see what kind of temps I can get with benchmarks and while I am running programs.

thanks for your help!

To make a pull configuration with the fans on top of the radiator you just have to turn the fans around so that they blow the air out.

Whenever you remove a cooler from the CPU and put it on again you have to completely clean CPU and cooler and put thermal paste (a small amount) on the CPU before mounting the cooler again. (There are plenty of videos on youtube showing this procedure).

Watch your temperatures while doing tests. 64° is the temperature for 24/7, higher temperatures for short periods are OK.

To make a pull configuration with the fans on top of the radiator you just have to turn the fans around so that they blow the air out.

Whenever you remove a cooler from the CPU and put it on again you have to completely clean CPU and cooler and put thermal paste (a small amount) on the CPU before mounting the cooler again. (There are plenty of videos on youtube showing this procedure).

Watch your temperatures while doing tests. 64° is the temperature for 24/7, higher temperatures for short periods are OK.

Thank you Eudyptes for your help, if I turn the fans over will that work? I thought you had to have fans underneath the radiator to push the air out of the radiator to have an effective exhaust? My knowledge is limited and I'm still learning.

I will reapply the thermal paste today, I should of done this before. Right now I am installing a game and my cpu temp is going up to 45c just for installing. I haven't overclocked either.

if I can turn the fans over and get good results this way that would be very cool its just I'm under the thought that you have to have the fans push air through and out of the radiator for the exhaust. Please let me know thank you!

Yes, just turn the fans over so that they blow air out, you'll be fine. It doesn't matter if you have the fan below (push) or above (pull). I saw a test were all possible configurations were tested, push, pull, push/pull, both as intake and outtake. The differences were marginal, even push/pull (2 fans below and 2 fans above the radiator) were only slightly better. You can just google, e.g. "push pull radiator test" to see more opinions on this.

So don't overclock yet. Check your temperature idle and under load and post it here. If it's too high you should probably remount the cooler.

Finally, after all that, you should also check your Core Voltage (e.g., with CPU-Z). When it is on auto in the BIOS it is often way too high and increases the CPU temperature considerably. A 6700K, not overclocked, usually works fine around 1.2 V.

I too had a very tight spacing with my H115i on a CM Storm Trooper case. I even had to cut that side plastic on the CPU power cord so it would fit, else it was hitting the radiator. And yes, fans in pull above radiator work like a charm (and exhaust out in the top, NOT intake). I don't go over 70-75 degrees on my 4.4GHz 5820K in prime95 like this... also, remove any dust filter if you have any on top where the exhaust now is.

Archived