Corsair Community

Do I need a Commander pro?

Swiggy

Hi All,

Probably a stupid Question but i have got the Corsair 570X case and will be building tomorrow, however i'm not sure if i have enough fan headers for all the fans on my MB (ASUS MAXIMUS HERO Viii Z170)

I will be using the Corsair H150i Pro rad in the front in push pull, so will be using the LL 120's as intake and then the stock fans that came with the rad behind

Also will have another 3 LL 120 fans (2 at the top and 1 rear)

I know i will be using the Cpu header on the Mobo for the pump etc but where will i plug the 3 fans in push config on the rad to? can i you a 3 way splitter cable to plug all 3 into a Fan header on the mobo?

Cheers in advance

Hi Buddy..., the CoPro makes for a good addition to the 570x.. brings a lot of control all into one place...

if you havnt read it already.. have a read of the below thread..

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

But in answer to your question.. depending on the fans you use, you could prob get away with using splitters off of the Mobo's headers. just means half your fans would be controlled in a different place to the other 3

Edited by Zotty

You can use a splitter for the 3 ML120-Quiet fans and they are a fairly low current draw. However, as mentioned above the Commander Pro might be useful for your build. You are going to need to run iCUE/Link anyway and this will move fan control from the BIOS to the software application. It would allow you to run both sides of the push-pull arrangement in sync (or whatever stagger you like). Also, it will replace the Lighting Node Pro as the RGB control device, so not just one more thing to squeeze in. The final piece is the C-Pro comes with 4 temp probes (likely more than you need) that can be used for fan regulation. These can be strictly informational, but also offer fan control options that work even without the software running. I use them to monitor the exhaust temps from two radiators, my RAM, and non-Corsair PSU exhaust temp, but there are numerous applications.

Ok thanks for the information guys, i have went with the Y Splitter cables

Now my question is which header would i connect the Fans on the back of the Rad to?

and what header should the 2 top and 1 rear fan be plugged into?

I'm using the ASUS Maximus Hero Viii and it only has 5 chassis headers i believe

The h150 will be plugged into the CPU header and then there is another CPU _Opt header and W_Pump header

Not sure which is best lol

i want the Fans on the back of the rad to be running at the same rmp

Cheers

i want the Fans on the back of the rad to be running at the same rmp

I am afraid that's the trick. Asus Z170 means you are likely limited to CPU temp, PCH temp, motherboard temp, and I hope... 1 Thermal sensor probe. That last one is your only chance to keep the fans under similar control to the H150i controller. If you have that connection on the board, you need a $7 10K thermistor wire and run to the exhaust side of the H150i. Exhaust temp will equal coolant temp within 1C or so. If that is not an option, you may need to use PCH temp or something and try and work out an equivalent "under load" kind of scale.

This is one of the reasons we suggested the Commander Pro and it would allow direct coolant temp control over any and all fans connected to the H150i or C-Pro, plus an assortment of other variables including GPU temp, something you can't do on the board.

Asus boards - CPU header is CPU temp only. This is a good place to park the H150i connector since it does not need a speed signal. OPT is a mirror of CPU fan, making it unsuitable for most things besides dual fan air towers. All other fans can go on the CHA fan headers.

This is one of the reasons we suggested the Commander Pro and it would allow direct coolant temp control over any and all fans connected to the H150i or C-Pro, plus an assortment of other variables including GPU temp, something you can't do on the board.

on the money :)..

Asus boards - CPU header is CPU temp only. This is a good place to park the H150i connector since it does not need a speed signal. OPT is a mirror of CPU fan, making it unsuitable for most things besides dual fan air towers. All other fans can go on the CHA fan headers.

I learn some thing new every time you post dude :) :)

Thanks for the information guys

The saying is true, we defs learn something new everyday lol

I've been delayed in my build, waiting on the Y Splitter cables :sigh!:

But i was thinking Since i have bought 2 3 packs of the ll 120 fans, i have another RGB fan HUB and extra Node pro

So question is, could i use the other RGB hub for the Sp RGB fans that came with the case and mount these on the back of the rad and then plug them into Chassis fan headers 1,2 & 3?

Then if i did that where and what Fan Header would i plug the Top 2 fans and rear exhaust to?

i can use the Y splitter and only use one of the remaining chassis fan headers right? lol

All this Fan Malarky is head frying lol

Oh i also have LED strips as well to wire up :eek:

So i actually have 3 lighting node pros... this is guna be fun lol

PS really wish i got the commander pro at this stage :(:

Cheers :)

You can use the SP120-RGB fans on the radiator and they are physically suitable for that duty. However, it does complicate the install a bit. Same problem as before with speed control via the motherboard. The SP-RGB are 3 pin DC and can't go on the H150i controller. The complication is you will need to add another RGB Lighting Hub with it's own separate SATA power supply line and a run back to one of the LNP. You will need two LNP to handle 3 or 6 LL + 3SP + 4 strips to get the necessary 3 channels. The other catch is apparently the case does not come with the necessary cord to connect the built in RGB Hub with the LNP/C-Pro. Fortunately, your second LL pack should have it.

The other point of consideration is the SP-RGB with 4 LEDs do not look like the LL, will not have access to all the same affects, and will mostly just add extra light. I am not sure if that is a boon for the overall aesthetics or not. My initial instinct is makes setting up profiles more tedious for minimal to no gain, however I don't run mixed sets. Zotty may be able to speak more directly to challenges, although I think his LL/HD combo is more similar in terms of lighting capabilities.

Ok thanks Guys for all the information, really helped me alot :)

I got all 6 ll fans connected to the 1st hub

Decided to just go with the Fans that came with the H150i on the other side of the Rad

My 4 LED strips havent came yet so will have them to do tmorrow

Does anyone have a diagram to show how i can setup the 4 LED strips?

I have a light node pro with 1 channel used for the 6 ll fans, so can i daisy chain the current lighting node to the 2nd hub for 4 LED strips?

Cheers again guys :sunglasse

Ok brilliant

I have just realized the RGB logos on the 570x aren't plugged in :!: and that means i'll need to use the other hub just for that right?

Might not have enough usb 2 headers on the MB:[pouts:

So currently i have the hub that was installed with the case and one light node

I have the 4led strips to install and then the rgb connection for the logo lights to plug in

Question is, can i use channel 2 of the light node to link up to the 2nd hub and plug all 4 led strips and logo rgb plug into the 2nd hub without having to use another light node?

Im all outa usb 2 headers on my mobo

Cheers guys

Hi,

No i will be plugging the LED strips into channel 2 on the lighting node

and i will use the included SP controller for the Case logo lights and change the effects via the case buttons

Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate all the help :sunglasse

Hi,

No i will be plugging the LED strips into channel 2 on the lighting node

and i will use the included SP controller for the Case logo lights and change the effects via the case buttons

Thanks for all the information guys, appreciate all the help :sunglasse

Sounds like you have figured it out :).. that Faq thread help much dude?

All done and RGB is glorious

All 10 fans connected and LED strips connected all no commander pro here lol

May have to mount the GPU Horizontally again due to temps being a little high for my liking

All in All over the moon with the case and its been worth all the blood sweat and tears

Thanks again guys for your help

DSC_0404.jpg?width=705&height=529

Edited by Swiggy

• 1 year later...
I recently purchased a h100i aio system which is working great but I also bought one more LL series 120mm case fan on top of that. However I quickly realized that without more corsair hardware I could not link the fan to my icue software. So I went out and purchased the lighting node pro because that is what I thought was required. Since then I realized that the rgb fan plug didn't fit the nighting node pro and that the lighting node pro was for LED RGB strips. I then went out and purchased a Commander Pro only coming to realize after that that I STILL couldn't control the fans lighting as none of the plugs fir the fans RGB plug. Now I feel like I have to ask. Can you still control the lighting using icue with ONLY the small RGB hub that corsair offers or do you absolutely have to link it to a Commander Pro/Lighting Node Pro in order to be able to make the RGB work. Any response is greatly appreciated.