Corsair Community

CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 + Asus P8P67 = computer won't boot...

dilsnufis

Hello

I had some issues with the original CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 chips I bought. Computer either wouldn't boot or I'd intermittently get a blue screen.

Did an RMA and put in the new chips and again, the computer doesn't boot.

I already have these: CMX4GX3M2A1600C7

Those work fine. So I thought more would be better. But even when I try to run the individual sticks of the new ram, the computer just wouldn't boot.

So far, Googling the problem hasn't gotten me any closer to an answer. Asus and Corsair say that the ram & mobo should work ok together. But I wonder if it's just some weird incompatibility with the motherboard? I mean, I suppose I could've gotten 2 sets of bad ram, but that doesn't seem right.

So right now, I'm just trying to see if there's any other info out there about this...

Thanks!

(Also, this is the first computer I've built and I'm not a super technical guy...)

Ya. Running the single sticks boots into BIOS and I'm able to reconfig. But then the computer doesn't reboot afterwards. The computer is on and the fans are running, but the screen is just black and nothing happens. I could leave it all day and it would sit there like that. But I'm kind of new to computer building so I'm not sure what state the computer is in. It seems like an error though...

I haven't tried running both sets together because I just wanted to see if the RMA chips worked first. But is that something else I should try?

Yep. BIOS knows the correct bootable drive.

The weird thing is if I just put the old ram back in the machine, everything works fine.

Corsair tech support suggested to try booting up the machine without any ram first, and then put the ram back in and try again. Does that reset BIOS or something?

So... I tried booting with no ram. It powered on and stayed on the black screen and didn't beep or anything (very similar to the other times when I've tried to boot the computer with the new ram). Then I put the new ram back in. It booted up. Went to BIOS. Everything looked fine. Saved the config and restarted. And it didn't boot again. Just powered on with the fans running, but no other response. It's pretty much exactly as if it didn't have any ram in it.

I did notice when I pulled the chips back out later that they felt warmer than the old set of chips I had running. They weren't hot or anything, but noticeably warmer.

So I've got my system running with the old 4 gigs instead of 8. I still don't understand why they don't work, since for all intents and purposes, it should. Weird...

Ok... I went into BIOS and manually updated the voltage from 1.5v to 1.55v and now it works.

A prior test in the past with a single stick caused the computer to blue screen by this point, but it seems to be running fine now with both installed. Who knew an extra .05v was all it needed...

Thanks for all your help.

Archived