Corsair Community

Corsair 800D Air Cooling

DieuxSoldat_04

Hey fellow Corsair enthusiasts!

I would love to use the Corsair 800D for my current high budget build but I do have one concern. The infamous single bottom intake.

Is there anyway to add more intakes? For instance, could we remove the cover for the 2 bottom HDD slots and use the optional 120mm down there as intake? Could we sacrifice two/three drive bays and have a mesh cover placed with an intake fan there? [seen this on other cases.] Would it be insane to have two of the top fans closest to the rear panel exhaust and have the one closest to the drive bays intake, or vice versa? I would love to know if these modifications are possible let alone efficient.

Here's my plan thus far. Add another 140mm in the PSU compartment. Use H50 and make the rear an intake. Use a GPU cooler and exhaust a little from the lowest expansion slot. Remove bottom HDD cover and add 120mm. 3 Exhaust 120mm on top.

http://steamgamersnetwork.com/images/i7-build/cooling_01.jpg

Here is the some what crazy air flow idea that seems like it may work well. Primary concern this may resolve is CPU airflow:

http://steamgamersnetwork.com/images/i7-build/cooling_02.jpg

And lastly and the one I hope for, sacrifice 2 or 3 bays to add two 80-120mm side by side or a single 140mm [seen this done with ordered mesh covers which were pre-drilled. They actually sacrificed one bay and put a row of three 60mm fans]:

http://steamgamersnetwork.com/images/i7-build/cooling_03.jpg

What do you guys think? Which would be feasible and which would have the best cooling for GPU and CPU? Do you have any other insane ideas?

I really hope the last one would be possible. Thanks in advance for ideas and comments!

Warm Regards,

DieuxSoldat_04

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... they are all possible, depending on how much work you want to do.

I would use the optional 120mm fan on the bottom to push more air through the empty drive cage on the bottom.

The 140mm fans included are silent but at the cost of moving very little air. By using my hands, I would estimated maybe around 20 - 30 CFM.

I don't like to intake with the H50. That's just me. The air it dumps into the case isn't hugely warm so it isn't a huge deal, so you should experiment to see what's better. For my system, I really don't care about the CPU temperature - it loads at around 63C overclocked with LinX. My VREG and Northbridge are much more concerning, and they don't like warm air being taken in.

Also, there are basically no really good "140mm" fans, so you can save money and headache and get a good 120mm for your front intake idea.

The bottom intake fan unfortunately only has screw holes for 140mm, so I would considering a Noctua NF-P14. When all is set and done, you'll probably have 3 extra Corsair fans (2x 140mm, and 1x 120mm from your H50).

Well... they are all possible, depending on how much work you want to do.

Also, there are basically no really good "140mm" fans, so you can save money and headache and get a good 120mm for your front intake idea.

I'm not the OP, but I'm curious about that statement. Can you elaborate.

When all is set and done, you'll probably have 3 extra Corsair fans (2x 140mm, and 1x 120mm from your H50).

So what do people do with those fans? Sell them on eBay? :laughing:

x509

I'm not the OP, but I'm curious about that statement. Can you elaborate.

So what do people do with those fans? Sell them on eBay? :laughing:

x509

Well, there just aren't any really good 140mm in the markets, the 140mm Noctua fan aside (which actually mounts on 120mm holes & 140mm holes). All the good ones are 120mm. The main consideration is noise & CFM of course. You can get some higher CFM 140mm that will sound like crap but what's the point?

Hey guys,

I'll look into the Noctua and by chance are there any colorized fans that perform decently? I would love to put a red fan on the rear and blues on the top.

Back to topic, after posting at several places and on chats I have a new plan but it relies on one key addition, sacrificing front bays to place fans, which was an intention from the get-go. Basic idea is to exhaust rear, furthest two left Top fans will exhaust, bottom and front will intake. There is an additional intake the the furthest right Top 120mm because I need some way to cool the RAD and not with hot air. Here is the diagram:

http://steamgamersnetwork.com/images/i7-build/cooling_04.jpg

I feel this would provide a good balance and flow. Any more feedback? Anything would be appreciated. I didn't mention before, but I need to plan the cooling quickly as I need to make this purchase as soon as possible. I will keep checking for all feedback since I do not have to make the order until when NewEgg opens next, I do not know if they observe Martin Luther King Jr.'s Day.

Thanks again!

Warm Regards,

DieuxSoldat_04

P.S. I could use some help finding color fans and front mesh bay covers that are mountable.

Here is what I would do:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/866/cooling04.jpg

Since you are intaking cool air near the H50, you might as well turn it to exhaust.

Reversing the rear fan is a good idea depending on your motherboard. X58 motherboards would benefit highly with better VREG and NB cooling.

You can try these but I don't how good the sound quality is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119096&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Case+Fans-_-EVERCOOL+THERMAL+CORP.+LTD-_-35119096

Fans you should use if you want a quiet system are Gentle Typhoons for your H50 and S-Flexes (SFF21E - 1200RPM) for your intake and exhaust.

It is questionable if the H50 tubing is long enought to mount it's Rad in the top front location you propose.....

It is... you have to turn the H50 so the tubing is closest to the front of the case, and turn the radiator to get the barbed ends closest to the H50 block. A 38mm fan helps as well (as a pull fan).

Well, there just aren't any really good 140mm in the markets, the 140mm Noctua fan aside (which actually mounts on 120mm holes & 140mm holes). All the good ones are 120mm. The main consideration is noise & CFM of course. You can get some higher CFM 140mm that will sound like crap but what's the point?

MJinZ. I guess I'm still a n00b here, so please forgive a "basic" question. :o: I agree that quiet fans are the goal.

If the same model fan is available in both 120 mm and 140 mm versions, won't you get more CFM at the same RPM in the 140 version? Will the 140 version have the same noise level, or a higher noise level? :confused:

Also, what about 38 mm fans? Are there any good, quiet 120 mm 38 mm deep fans?:confused:

Thanks,

x509

Here is what I would do:

Fans you should use if you want a quiet system are Gentle Typhoons for your H50 and S-Flexes (SFF21E - 1200RPM) for your intake and exhaust.

MJinZ,

You seem really well informed. :cool:

Why not the same model fan (either one) for both the H50 and the intake and exhaust? Are there special considerations for fans being used with a radiator?

Thank you.

x509

MJinZ. I guess I'm still a n00b here, so please forgive a "basic" question. :o: I agree that quiet fans are the goal.

If the same model fan is available in both 120 mm and 140 mm versions, won't you get more CFM at the same RPM in the 140 version? Will the 140 version have the same noise level, or a higher noise level? :confused:

Also, what about 38 mm fans? Are there any good, quiet 120 mm 38 mm deep fans?:confused:

Thanks,

x509

Yes, 140s should be better than 120s but manufacturers don't spend the effort to make good ones as it is not a common fan size. Noctua makes a good 140mm (that actually has mounting holes for 120mm and needs an adapter for 140mm), but that's about it.

There aren't that many quiet 38mm fans, which is geared for more performance than quietness (and also, are not a common size). They usually have a worse sound quality (decibels may be the same but may make annoying noises).

MJinZ,

You seem really well informed. :cool:

Why not the same model fan (either one) for both the H50 and the intake and exhaust? Are there special considerations for fans being used with a radiator?

Thank you.

x509

You could if you wanted to, but you may want to have high RPM Gentle Typhoons so you can crank up the speed when you want extra cooling.

Gentle Typhoons are ridiculously expensive too so if you wanted to use all GTs in your case, you'll be spending a lot. Instead, you can go with a lower RPM and even quieter S-Flex for your case fans since you won't turning them up or down as often.

You could if you wanted to, but you may want to have high RPM Gentle Typhoons so you can crank up the speed when you want extra cooling.

Gentle Typhoons are ridiculously expensive too so if you wanted to use all GTs in your case, you'll be spending a lot. Instead, you can go with a lower RPM and even quieter S-Flex for your case fans since you won't turning them up or down as often.

MJinZ, are you saying that if I am using watercooling (say with a Swiftech MCR320 radiator), that I should use GTs for the radiator, but S-Flexes for the other fans? Or, are you saying that a "case fan" isn't the same as a "radiator fan?"

Thanks,

x509

MJinZ, are you saying that if I am using watercooling (say with a Swiftech MCR320 radiator), that I should use GTs for the radiator, but S-Flexes for the other fans? Or, are you saying that a "case fan" isn't the same as a "radiator fan?"

Thanks,

x509

Right, I refer to case fans only for case cooling (intakes and exhausts).

CPU fans and Radiator fans should be chosen specific for those purpose. Keep in mind that for real watercooling (not a closed simple system like the H50), radiators are designed for specific speed fans, and you probably will not benefit from putting a high speed fan on a radiator that is designed for low or medium speeds. The H50 benefits a bit from turning up the fan speed (and running push pull), but not by huge amounts.

Right, I refer to case fans only for case cooling (intakes and exhausts).

CPU fans and Radiator fans should be chosen specific for those purpose. Keep in mind that for real watercooling (not a closed simple system like the H50), radiators are designed for specific speed fans, and you probably will not benefit from putting a high speed fan on a radiator that is designed for low or medium speeds. The H50 benefits a bit from turning up the fan speed (and running push pull), but not by huge amounts.

Thank you. This thread has been very, very helpful to me. :o: I guess that comment shows what a n00b I am about watercooling. (I have been building my own systems for over 20 years now.:biggrin: )

My tenative choice for radiator is the MCR 320. What kind of fan should I be looking for this specific radiator? (I hope the OP doesn't mind if I introduce this question in his thread. :laughing: )

Thanks,

x509

Thank you. This thread has been very, very helpful to me. :o: I guess that comment shows what a n00b I am about watercooling. (I have been building my own systems for over 20 years now.:biggrin: )

My tenative choice for radiator is the MCR 320. What kind of fan should I be looking for this specific radiator? (I hope the OP doesn't mind if I introduce this question in his thread. :laughing: )

Thanks,

x509

I just got 2x Gentle Typhoons and they are the best fans I've ever heard or used (I have literally every Scythe fan). Gentle Typhoons are made by Servo (so it's a little confusing as all the websites say they are made by Scythe).

Anyway, find the speed the MCRs are rated for (I'm betting low to medium) and get the Gentle Typhoon in 1150 or 1450RPM.

I just got 2x Gentle Typhoons and they are the best fans I've ever heard or used (I have literally every Scythe fan). Gentle Typhoons are made by Servo (so it's a little confusing as all the websites say they are made by Scythe).

Anyway, find the speed the MCRs are rated for (I'm betting low to medium) and get the Gentle Typhoon in 1150 or 1450RPM.

Much appreciated. :praise: Very much appreciated.:praise: :praise:

x509

As for replacing the 140mm case fans. I'm in the same situation and have been researching around a little.

These ones seem to fair well in reviews and are what i'll probably be going with.

Let us know how that one works for you. I see it here for $25 @ Frozen: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10214/fan-658/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentPro_PK-2_140mm_x_25mm_Ultra_Quiet_Fan_-_1200_RPM_-_20_dBA.html

• 2 weeks later...

The Best 140mm Fans on the market are Made by NOISEBLOCKER being the best and being built and engineered of very high quality comes with a Cost $$$ they retail for $24

Let me just tell you this, they are worth every dollar as the Noiseblockers can be mounted Horizontally unlike most other sleeve bearing fans, plus they will last for over 6 years 24/7. They are also very quiet and push alot of air. I own both Gentle Typhoons Ap-15 and the NOISEBLOCKER PB 140mm fans. Best Fans I have ever owned.

The Best 140mm Fans on the market are Made by NOISEBLOCKER being the best and being built and engineered of very high quality comes with a Cost $$$ they retail for $24

Let me just tell you this, they are worth every dollar as the Noiseblockers can be mounted Horizontally unlike most other sleeve bearing fans, plus they will last for over 6 years 24/7. They are also very quiet and push alot of air. I own both Gentle Typhoons Ap-15 and the NOISEBLOCKER PB 140mm fans. Best Fans I have ever owned.

Is this the fan you reccomend?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10215/fan-659/Noiseblocker_NB-BlackSilentPro_PK-3_140mm_x_25mm_Ultra_Quiet_Fan_-_1700_RPM_-_27_dBA.html?tl=g36c15s775

I just got this case. I am currently running CPU and VC on air. My 98GX2 is aging and is running hot no matter what I do. It is running in the 70s at idle and getting to almost 90 under load which is the same as my old case. My CPU however which is a stock 920 with a TRUE in push pull is idling in the low 20s. All in all I would have to say that over other cases this is a low drop in temp but the looks of the case are amazing. I have it on top of my desk now and it is well worth the price.

call me crazy but I have an idea about that bottom intake. I've been studying this for a few weeks now trying to decide on a case, and i like the 800d better than anything else...except for the one intake for the main section of the case. but if you think about it, a lot of other cases just have a single 120mm intake infront , with exception to some other brands that the whole front of the case is basically an intake.

so if we apply that logic to this case, what if we were to put a tube between the air intake in the PSU compartment up to the 140mm fan for the primary compartment to force feed air straight into the main area of the case? That way so much of it isn't diffusing on it's way up and hitting the top of the psu compartment, and more gets into the area that matters. I've thought about what that would do to the HDD areas, but there's still that large intake under the PSU, and with stronger fans the HDD sections will still pull air into those areas.

Is this feasable? With that, and making the rear of the case an intake and adding exhause fans in the top to pull the hot air up and out, I think that'd be a winner.

I was experiencing air-flow problems with my 5970. Not so much with temperature, but fan noise. I discovered that removing the door immediately reduced the noise level to barely above idle.

To overcome this issue I adding a new window with a 140 mm fan. The original window was used as a template for adding the holes to a piece of 0.093” Lexan. The thinner material allowed me to add washers and drill the holes oversized. A NB-BlackSilentPro PK-3 140mm fan was mounted, covered by a DEMCiflex Fan Filter.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5585/doorbk.th.jpg

I darkened the filter material to try to make it more subdued.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1369/filterbk.th.jpg

While it mares the appearance of the 800D somewhat, it allows me to use the card painlessly while I contemplate other options, (like replacing the stamped grill in the lower camber with a wire grill.)

Wow, that actually looks very well done. Could you give me a list of tools and products you used and maybe even some instruction? I would love to do the same thing.

As for an update, I ended up going with my final diagram. Initial idle was 24*C, it has slowly climbed up to 31*C now. I do not know if it is a burn-in period issue because it did not change until I did some cable management. I may actually just reapply thermal paste to the H50. So temperatures were surprisingly good for the bizarre setup. I have had a change of heart though. I decided I will get more fans and do a Push/Pull rear intake, remove 3 front drive bays and put a 120mm, push/pull bottom intake and exhaust through all 3 top. This way at least my CPU and north bridge will get some air blowing it. I think that is what ended up being a problem. Will load some pictures after done customizing.

Hit me up deees!

Archived