Corsair Community

MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R and Twinx1024-3200LLpt

jeff9760

im having troubles with my computer spurraticaly locking up (the usbs turn off and screen goes blank) ive been told that its poaaibly a memory problem. i read another thread and it said to use mem slots 1 and 3 and something else i didnt understand that would fix the problem. ramguy please help

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, I am having issues with this RAM too... here's what system I have, and what I have done to try and get the RAM to work: I am running the AMD K8 3000+ on an MSI K8T Neo with BIOS 1.1. I have the TwinX 1024 3200LLPT kit. I have tried on Auto in banks 1 & 2, and then manually setting 2-3-2-6 and voltage 2.7. i have set also to 2-4-2-6 at this voltage. I have tried all possible combinations of auto and manual SPD. I have tried the RAM singlularly in slot 1, slot 3, I have tried both in 1 and 3. I have followed all the advice on the MSI forums. Memtest86+ passes, so the RAM is Ok, but it just seems unstable - 3D games crash etc, and Prime95 crahses as soon as you run the Blend test, even after trying all these cobinations... what do we do? :confused:

Nothing worked! I spent about 5 hours trying every combination. I RMA'd it today. These Corsair chips wouldn't play with the Athlon. I seriously tried every timing and voltage combination, plus lowering the speeds to 266, 333 etc and all stick configs (slot positions etc), it just wouldn't play ball. Don't get me wrong, the machine booted, i mean i even have a perfect vanilla install of XP running great. But random reboots and a Prime95 crash out after less than 1 second on a Blend test isn't really what I paid £200 for. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
Well I do wish you the best of luck but, I think no matter what memory you use you may have problems, also you will need new bios for that CPU with this MB. You can search our site here, as I have posted it several times or contact MSI. And you should use slots 1-3 for the memory!

I just got a new motherboard/cpu/memory combo together hoping to avoid the whole memory and other problems ppl have seem to run into. And amazingly enuff here I am with apparent memory problems. Here is my system: MSI K8T Neo w/ 1.20 BIOS AMD 64 3200+ CPU 2 512 pairs Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT DDR MSI Nvidia TI400 video Thermaltake 420 Power Supply Maxtor 80GB 8MB HD Windows 2000 Prof. Right now the memory is in slots 1 and 2 and I get constant freezes. I upped the memory voltage some and it seems to make it a little more stable but still constant freezes. What are the settings as in voltage and other stuff for the memory I need to set in order to get this to run stable and possiably even up the FSB some. Please elaborate if you can as I see things such as 2-3-2-6 but I'm not sure what exactly to change in my bios to correspond to those numbers. I would like to consider myself a pretty knowledgable computer guy and I feel sad that this seems to be defeating me....Please help...Thx!

• Corsair Employee
Please look up the settings for the module you have by following the link in my signature! And you should use slots 1-3 for the memory! If you still have errors please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url]

Thanks for the info. Sadly, I ran the memtest while I waited on reply and got 17 errors after 11 passes. So I will send it back and get 2 replacement 512 sticks sent back. I'm using my old PC2100 RAM for now so I can still have a system for work. I'm jsut worried using that Corsair twinX cause all I have heard is horror stories with it (with 2 sticks of 512) and the MSI K8T Neo board I have. So when I get the new memory back I'll put in slots 1 and 3. I'm still a little unsure about what exactly to change for the 2-3-2-6 timing I keep getting told is optimal for this memory, but I shall cross that bridge when the memory gets back. Thx again!

• Corsair Employee
Again, you will need to use the latest bios which is attached 1.24B and you can use this as a reference: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T And please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and stagger the modules in slots 1-3 and you should be fine!

[quote name='RAM GUY']I am not sure you would need to ask MSI, but I think it address memory compatibality with some new CPU's[/QUOTE] MSI say that 1.2B4 is a beta. The "official" 1.20 release is here: [url]http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=496[/url] I RMA'd my Corsairs, after trying the flash and having no luck, but apparently this BIOS update would have fixed the problems I was having. :roll: Problems stem from the AMD64 chips having the memory controller on board. Because the 3000+ is different in architecture to the 3200+ there have been instances of incompatibility even with idential memory. Being at the cutting edge, err.. well... *cuts*.

just an update... when i RMA'd my RAM the company ran memtest and it failed... so maybe i was too hasty in thinking it was an incompatability. it seems there is a bunch of this ram with Memtest issues, which is a shame... didn't mean to be down on Corsair... can i ask where that MSI bios beta came from? i want to use it, but am a little bit :eek:

• Corsair Employee
Ver. 1.24B came from MSI, I can't say about the one posted by jeff9760, but I would assume it came form MSI. If you are not comfortable with that please contact MSI and they should be able to provide the bios to you. And for the latest released version you can go [URL=http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=496]Here[/URL]!

well, although i have endured similiar problems with my a64 3200+, i have the asus k8v deluxe. which unfortunately, is having the same reaction to high end ram that is supposed to be compatible. i have already rma'd a gig of black level II mushkin that wouldnt even boot, and i am in the process of my second rma, which i am getting replaced. should have it by a week from tommorrow. my specs a64 3200+ asus k8v deluxe TWINX1024-3200C2PT DDR400 XMS3200 (x2 512mb) 80 gig WD hd the suspense is killing me, i want to get my rig up lol. :[pouts:

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the configuration? Please use slots 1-3 and set the timings manually to the tested settings for the modules you have (Cass2-3-3-6) and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts. If you still have problems please test the modules one at a time and let's make sure one is not failing. You can use [url]www.memtest.org[/url] to test the memory.

Do I have any chance in hell of getting this memory to work with the MSI K8T NEO? Just ordered it and will RMA it if its gonna cause me grief. Looks like the 3200 is tricky enough to get working nevemind the 3700. Corsair TWINX1024-3700PT 1GB DDR466 XMS3700 Thanks..

• Corsair Employee
XMS3700 will work but you would need bios version 1.24B or newer. And you may have to use another module to post the system to update the bios. But yes it should work. But honestly if you can get your reseller to exchange it I would suggest Twinx1024-3200C2 instead.

Archived