Corsair Community

XMP or Manual settings ?

PcTuner

Hello everyone,

I want to buy 2x the Corsair Dominator GT 2x 2GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.65 V RAM.

My motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula.

Now, I saw that I need to activate the XMP profile for obtaining the supported speed... But I know that I can modify the settings manually in the bios.

My simple question, what is the most effective solution ???

Thanks already !

So it will be down clocked when I take 2 kits... Great... What is the maximum stable speed then ?

Well, I also can take the Corsair Dominator GT 2x 4GB 1866MHz 1.5V 2 times. I guess that will work ! I also find on the ASUS site that it is compatible 2 kits of those with my mainboard. Only 16GB is a little overkill for only gaming :(... Maybe 1 kit of this one is far enough... What do you think ?

And thanks for the fast reply man !

its really dependent on the strength and stability of your CPUs memory controller more than the ram mixing. most CPUs have difficulty accepting high performance ram with all slots filled at full overclocked settings. (over 1333 in most cases)

are there no 2x4G kits for your board? (an 8 gig single kit) listed on the Corsair configurator?

I also find on the ASUS site that it is compatible 2 kits of those with my mainboard.
please provide a link, thats very unusual for a MB manufacturer to make that claim :)

DDR3 1866 Qualified Vendors List (QVL)

1 DIMM 2 DIMM 4 DIMM

CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9(XMP) 8GB ( 2x 4GB ) DS - - 9-10-9-27 1.5 ● ● ● ●

Copied from the memory compatibility list ! They say that 4 dimm's will work.

Site: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/#MSL

There you can download the memory compatible list (PDF).

They do have 1 single 8GB kit (2 Ram modules), so I be able to run Dual Channel ! Is this the best choice for me ?

They say that 4 dimm's will work.

yes if the single kit contains 4 dimms.

i took your post as if you were trying to use 2 kits, the QVL only lists single kits.

if i misunderstood you i apologize but i dont think i did.

just to clarify, you did suggest you wanted to use 2 kits of Corsair Dominator GT 2x 2GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.65 V RAM??

Oh now I understand ! Thank you, it's clear to me know.

Yes, I want to use 2 kits of Corsair Dominator GT 2x 2GB 1866 MHz CL9 1.65 V RAM. But if I need to downclock the speed to get it stable, it's not a option for me...

Is there a other way to get it work at the maximum speed ??? Increasing the voltage or using higer CL timmings ?

Thank you for the fast reply Synthohol, you're really helping me out !

its best to find a single 8 gig kit but you have roughly a 30-40% chance of 2 kits working at full speed. there are no guarantees though.

you can try 2 kits but its your money to gamble.

every system/cpu will act differently so there are no settings i can say that will defiantly work, you will have to just play with 1 setting at a time.

i still dont recommend it though.

Ok ! Perhaps I can try 2 kits of Dominator GT 2x 2GB (4x 2GB), if it does not work or when I get problems with it, I can buy 1 kit Dominator GT 2x 4GB. I also can use the other RAM (4x 2GB) for other systems or sell it ! So if it's not working, I'm okay with it.

Synthohol, I want to thank you for al your help !

Archived